Scaffolders Study Group

4safetytraining

Thanks for the additional information on the 1/3 scale Scaffold and the link, certainly has a place within the Theoretical Class Room. In my personal opinion an exultant learning and Teaching aid especialy where language is a barrier. Perhaps we should move this Post to the Study Group ???, for further discussion. Any info on manufacturers and Suppliers---price, ect...most interested.

Garry...

1/3 scale scaffolding

This the training equipment that I use and can be found on The Safety Store: PPE, Fall Protection, High Visibility Clothing, Confined Space Equipment and More! website.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

1/3 Scale Scaffolding for Training [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwAx0COfv34]YouTube - 1/3 Scale Scaffolding for Training[/ame]

I see you use the scaffold as a point for fall protection, I have pushed this in class and need some backup any thing on your side of the pond?

4safetytraining

" using Scaffold for Fall Protection " what sort of fall Mitigation ?, Inertia Reel, collective Protection, Step up, ? or all of the above and more ?

I think we should put this one to the Scaffs---Brother in need guys, wade in with your examples and any advise for oor Bro across the pond, we could e-mail Docs.

Is there Tube and Fitting 1/3 Scale Scaffold available ???

Garry...

1/3 tube and clamp

yes, this a link The Safety Store - TUBE & CLAMP STARTER KIT 1/3 Scale
Photo
TCS-100.aspx

You can get it set up in class on a table and walk around to get a good look.... It has beed a hit with the workers and get them in to asking questions.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

5772_600_500.jpg

4ST

sure beats modeling with welding rods---must be one of the best innovation Iv seen for quite some time---a bright future M8.

Im sure this will generate a good deal of interest among the Forum Members.

Garry...

Paddy M8

I totally agree Paddy M8---the more I asset it the more it becomes feasible.

CITB are limited to the Structures that they can teach, however, with the 1/3/ stuff you could Teach---well the permutations are endless.

I wonder if we could get a franchise on it ;)

Garry...

I agree its a great idea, trainees could learn the technical specs of any given structure, why bracing is so important and so on, plus the instructor could use it for what if scenarios to show where problems can arise, all without the danger of falling or dropping material.

Now you've done it Garry, there'll be a race on now for buggers to get funding together and applications for franchises all over the place. The watchword for things like that is SSSSHHHHH lol

Stef

We could all chip in and corner the Market---then out-source to the NASC/CITB and Independent Training Providers LOL ;)---game set and Mach eh M8---Scaffs Rule ya Bas---ats mi revertin back ti a hairy assed Scaff :nuts:

Garry
Just been on the web site for the wee scaffold kit, this is what you get in the starter pack.

TUBE & CLAMP STARTER KIT 20-24" Tubes 4-32" TUBES 10-SWIVEL CLAMPS 20-RIGID CLAMPS 4-BASE PLATES 4 mudsills 5-PLANKS/uncleated 1-LADDER SECTION NUT DRIVER

wait for it guys, the cost, here it comes $1950.00:sick::sick::sick::sick:

Dig deep guys.

Paddy

Paddy M8

I would tend to agree---the pricing appears to be some what prohibative :sad:

Aye, awae boonnie lad it wiz woth a Captain hook, but there on plumbs :nuts:

New Question...?

Garry,

I assume materials calibration and metallurgical testing are a part of your services? Here's a scenario and a question for you (or anyone else of course):

Back in 1998 I was working for UK firm over in Singapore as Senior Technical Advisor. We had a shopping mall project which required formwork support through the atrium to the underside of the roof which housed an outdoor swimming pool. Obviously this was quite a heavy duty design due to the water loading (live load). The concrete beams to be poured were 8m x 2m x 2m and Cuplok (steel) support was used.

The design was perfect and passed by a Government approved Chartered Engineer (a requirement out there). When the project commenced, there was the usual site arguments of the contractor not wanting to follow the designed drawings etc. I have lost count of how many Inspections I had failed. One particular night in question, after yet another failed inspection, the contractor proceeded to pour concrete without authorization from myself or the Project Engineer.

The formwork had failed because it was incomplete and they refused to install the last 3 lifts of bracing. The inevitable happened and there was a collapse as predicted by myself (Christ how I hate being right about things like that!), unfortunately killing 9 personnel. Senior persons were charged with manslaughter and went to prison and so may they rot there for eternity!

Now, owing to the lack of bracing the obviously legs began to bow and live load being live load, will always search for the weakest point, in the case of Cuplok, it's the blade end on the ledger or transom that goes first. The structure split into two sections and quite literally tore in half before imploding on itself.

Don't worry, I am getting there......

I would assume that during the manufacture of Cuplok, Layher, Kwikstage and even Readylok transoms there must be MPI performed to test the welds. In this case, all our Cuplok was manufactured under the watchful eye of a BS Inspector in the UAE. We had all the metallurgical data and test certificates etc, which is also a requirement by Singaporean law when importing materials into the country.

Now then my question, eventually: Although MPI and welding inspection is carried out at the time of manufacture, are random tests carried out for materials that are out in the field and have been in service for many years? It's a concern of mine that companies are using modular/system scaffold materials as old as 15 years (maybe even longer?). Surely over the years of stress on the joints, there has to be some percentage of loss of intergrity, yet the calculations being applied do not reduce over the years? I do know for a fact that some Design Engineers get their calculations from the data sheets which are based on new materials!

Your thoughts please mate...?

Cheers,
Phil.

Last edited:
Phil

Dead easy...

Goes back to the old inspection regime, never mind all your MPH and BMW or whatever you mentioned!! Materials are to be inspected before use by a trained and competent person and that is the basis of all of it isnt it.

PW,

Thank you for you technical input..... Raas-claat, lol!
None of us are qualified to determine whether a weld is sufficient or not are we?

Stop picking on me, I'm having a bad day, lol..!!!

Cheers,
Phil.

Phil

Im just checking my e-mail before I go to a meet with Expro @ 11 am, (Angola Job) I shall reply to your very interesting post on my return, I enjoyed the read phil.

Save to say I shall cite the Bath effect on new products ect and expand in the overt Breaches and or Failures of both Mechanical and Human, save to say that the quarantine area in the yard will bear testament to that.

Garry...

i think that knowledge of the stress factors of welds and that can be found out by manafacurers instructions , but i think that the history and backround of materiels is very important , there is alot of reconditioned materials knockin around as there are machines to straighten out standards and that , u can only build so high with this stuff because of obvious reasons , i personaly think it should be banned and illegal ! A working knowledge of this system, shows the weakness of the lips of the ledgers , they bend easy and have seen the boys put the lips in the cups to straighten them , obviously the weld is weaker , ive also seen the turning part of the cup under stress wind open by themselves with too much weight and then the **** hits the fan cos you then have a possibilty of a four point break down in the frame 2 ledgers and 2 transoms , not good if your standin on 8 foot batonr !

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

and hey garry , if u need anybody to watch ur back in angola ket the big irish man know ,

21's...

You hit the nail on the head there mate! This is exactly what I am getting at, you imagine say Cuplok for instance, that is constantly in use on high structures and is subjected to wind loading and the usual stress & strain of sway when being erected, needless to say being used as loading towers. Over the years that kind of wear and tare is going to have some weakening effect on the blade end welds and cups thus reducing the load capacity. Yes there are data sheets of live loads, bending moments, UDL's etc but I can't say I have ever seen one that states that the loads reduce with age? If anyone has, please chip in an put me out of my misery.

Should all scaffold tube, modular and system carry a manufacture date stamp on it as well as the BS code? (Garry, is this can of worms big enough for you mate?). It would aid cataloging equipment and segregating it for various, intended purposes.

The tube straightener in my opinion is one of the worst inventions bestowed on our industry to date. I can see from a commercial and financial aspect of it, but we're not on a cost cutting exercise, the whole point of the scaffolding industry is to provide a safe working access is it not! I know of many companies in the UK that are reconditioning their own material by unqualified personnel and putting it back into circulation unmarked.

Cheers,
Phil.

I obviously don't know much about metallurgy or welding but i would assume that the biggest danger in older materials was, is and shall always be metal fatigue, this is surely a lesser problem in tubing because of the nature of the fixing ie. turning instead of banging but the constant stresses and vibration through system must cause a breakdown of the molecular structure as it ages.

the only reason i have any knowledge of this subject is my solid steel hammer (10 years old or so) broke in 5 places while i was tapping a pin in kwikstage (and before any smart remarks i got arms like pipe cleaners)

PW,

Thank you for you technical input..... Raas-claat, lol!
None of us are qualified to determine whether a weld is sufficient or not are we?

Stop picking on me, I'm having a bad day, lol..!!!

Cheers,
Phil.

Its no problem my end, since I bought the portable X Ray machine from some gypos for the yard lads...we check every weld every day!! Strange tho...I'm getting through 2 yard lads a week!!:eek:

Top Bottom