Scaffolders Study Group

ps any nasc ,citb suits out there lets hear what you got to say or do we have to cough up a few quid to hear your views

I am honoured to be part of this initiative and a member of such a Society of Men as Scaffolders---fae's like us ?, nae much---

I was at a loss as how to get the Study Group off the ground---I need not have worried on that score---the Group is taking shape thanks to all the Scaffs who have contributed thus far.

The posts are coming in thick and fast, the foundations have been layed, lets spring aloft and erect it.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Leon

nice one, thanks for that :)

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Paddy M8

Things are happening at a pase---the Scaffs are doin it for them selfs---brilliant---the Guys are taking the initative.:)

Garry before I got into scaffolding fulltime I was a qualified sparky. I ended up in an office doing electrical design and as part of it I used AutoCAD. I have an old copy of it somewhere.

Leon

Is CAD Scaffold Design an area where you would like to get into ?

There are quite a few software CAD applications on the market, new development coming out all the time---virtual reality applications are the way forward. Smartscaff and Strike Alfa sent me a couple of Demo Disks for appraisal and feed back---both good applications, however, the cigar went to Strike Alfa.

Have you ever generated Scaffold Structures on your CAD application ?

When I used CAD I was working for a consultancy firm. We would be given a series of building plans and then told to design certain aspects with my side being the electrical design. This would range from the High Voltage mains down to localised small power, lighting, telecoms/data etc.... I would also work with a mechanical engineer and produce his drawing too.

I have not done scaffolding drawings as I don't know how to design scaffolding competently, but someone told me that I could make a living out of producing the drawings and employing an engineer to do the design. Not looked into this though to be honest.

Leon

You are half way to becoming proficient in generating Scaffold Design Drawings, you are already capable of operating the software and you are in a unique position of having Scaffolding experiance combine the two and you have the competencies required to generate Scaffold Design drawings.

As things stand at the moment these drawings would have to get the drawings verified by an Engineer---either a Structional or Mechanical Engineer---in the past I have tried to establish a Course dedicated to Scaffold Engineering, HNC, HND, ect, however, no interest has been shown by the World of Academia---the stresses, strains, compression, shear, torsional ect can can be analyzed by computer programs.

With the onset of TG 20:08 Working drawing are fact becoming an addendum to Safe Systems of Work and Method Statements, furthermore, these Working Drawings are an ideal point of cross referance to Statutory Inspections. So, LEON go for it my freind...

Hi Guys,
As some of you's may not be aware, this is actually not the 'Study Group' this thread is the history and formulation of how the study group came about.

We need more guys to register their interest, inthe study group, at current, there are only 9 members, please register as interested. To access the study group, either click on the link towards the front of this posting, or go to the top of the page, click on Community, on the drop down menu, click on social groups, from there add Scaffolder study group, and register your interest.

As my mate Garry, and the rest of the guys preparing to aid our fellow scaffs, if we dont use it, we will lose it.

This Scaffolders forum, could be the best thing since sliced bread, we are all in the same occupation, so in retrospect there shouldnt be a conflict of interests.

However, what we do understand in the Scaffolder study support group, is everyone of us is a Individual, we all have individual unique needs and desires, from the new guys just starting out to the old sweats wanting that little bit more knowledge.

This support study group is not to try and give collective information (even though it might seem so) it is to address a individual who requests any information albeit, H&S,Workplace rights,current regs,training courses,FAQ or even just a bit advice. This advice, or any other workplace issue can be posted on this forum, if wished, however, if you want confidentiality, PM any of the coaches/mentors. However if the question is of a sexual nature, you would be better writing to 'Dear Dierdrie':toung:

regards to all
Paddy

Dear Paddy,

My wife and I are having some bedroom problems, she insists that a basic scaffolder is good enough but I think her pleasure would rise if I had an advanced card.

lol my way of saying i'll get some info in the study group as to what is entailed in the advanced course, just couldn't resist that one though

Tinheads
very good mate, looking forward to your contributions to the 'Study Group', However, if that is your true profile picture, no wonder your having problems with your lass in the bedroom,lol.

Paddy

My God.

Who would have thought that you might endure sarcastic (& non mailicious) insults in a forum of Scaffs, there was me thinking we were a cultured lot (DAMN, now i'm being sarcastic too)

Hi 4Safetytraining, nice to see some U.S. input, why don't you join in on the study group ( on the community tab at the top ) and don't forget to pop into the U.S. scaffolder section

Last edited:
4safetytraining

Firstly, welcome to the Site, are you into training Modular Systems ?

My currently appraising and researching Cable Suspended Work Platforms, have you had any dealing with this Type of Access ?

I understand that it is a whole new ball game in the States, ie, Scaffs +Carpenter, ect---what are the main differences between U.K and U.S. Training and Inspection Regimes ?---would be interesting ?.

Garry...

Training

Frame, tube and clamp, swing stage, I do this type because that is what I have in 1/3 scale. In the US not all training is done in an area with the room to set up full size scaffolding.

I have been looking into making Modular Systems but the $$$ are on hold at this time.

Last edited:
4safetytraining

1/3 Scale Models what a great innovative :idea:---brings to mind when I did my CITB Card at Hillington Glasgow, the Veteran Scaffolder/Scaffold Instructor Harry Bell made Tube and Fitting Scaffold Structures out of Welding Rodes---they were a great way to teach the Candidates who have never erected with Tube and Fittings.

any images that you would like to share with the Forum Members ?

Garry...

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

4safetytraining

Excuse my ignorance, however, I am not familiar with the term, swing out, is that akin to Boson Chair ?

P.S. CITB was 1978

Garry...

Photos

I will send some next week, some are on 4safetystore .com

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Suspended (Swing Stage) Scaffolding, Suspended by cables or rope

4safetytraining

Aye okay, Im with you

I have a particular interest in Cable Suspended Working Platforms---I am particularly interested in the Scafespan System---It was conceived by a Guy called Lambros they are Based in the State of New York.

Do you know of the Safespan System ?

Top Bottom