whats the best "double" you have worked with and why

the old ubm little gaint was great for putting to beams before the s/k

I like mills, and presco although I find that the presco has sharp edges and have had a couple of scrapes over the years. Lyndons own fittings are good to use too.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

SGB Mk3A's & sets: Strength & versatility..!!!

We used to use these on support and shoring jobs as at 12.1kn slip load are nearly twice as much of a regular double.

Mills 90 great fitting brill with the speed thread B&P great fitting but no use offshore if the job is up for a long time underdeck needed stilsons hacksaws and hammers to get them off.
gaz

Agree with Scaff319 on under deck scaffolding. Yup sets are my favourite fitting, but seize up very easily. One of my contractors has just stripped a job on a well head that was built out of entirely brand new Prescos (first time use). It was up since October owing to there being a drilling jack-up sat on top of it. Everything was lathered in cement and drilling mud so we lost every fitting due to seizing up!

Prescos, yeah versatile but no good when in contact with salt water unfortunately.

PW if you're reading this, remember stripping that 30+ year old racking in SGB's yard built out of B&P's one Christmas when we had no work on? They really should make a belt frog that accommodates a Stihl saw, lol..!!!

Under Deck Scaffold : Harsh and extreme environmental conditions combined with long periods of Service can raise valid concerns, not only for the integrity of the Scaffold Structure and allied Component parts, but also for the Erectors that must dismantle the Structure, the Laws of probability indicate that the degree of Risk of personal injuries are increased ( Spanner/Podger slippage, Bolt shearing Muscular Trauma and generally loosing the Heed :mad: ).

Apart from using sheredarized and or other protective coating on the threads and the servicing of Fittings in-situ by means of lubcilp oil, ect---what other means of protection is available ?.

The under-deck 2000 Fitting has the provision of two bolts which are applied to the web of the steel work this provision allows one bolt to be lessened serviced with a wire brush whilst it counter part is still fixed then repeat the process.

The bottom line is economics---Orginisation are prepared to offset the costs of Couplers against Maintenance Regimes---however, some on must pay the Piper and again its down to the Scaffs.

Not too sure about the mills' doubles guys, wouldn't like to build any hangers with them,I take it none of you have worked for interserve in scotland?
I thought there had been a problem with B&P as in that it weakend the tube due to the bolt (gr8 fitting tho).
Depending on what your building I think there is a fitting for the occasion?

Come on the stickys!!

Heid

I worked with GKN Millz Abdn Depot some years ago, also worked with GKN MIllz Offshore and found no probs with Suspended Scaffolds when we used 90z.

The forming of dimples on tubes when using set is a concern, however, as discussed on previous Posts if the chair is used this will eradicate the problem and or a Tool Box Talk which explains the Method Statement of how to apply B+P to a Tube without causing Tube dimpling or screw plate and bolt thread damage.

Stickies cause more damage to a Tube than any other 90 I know of or worked with, they gouge the Tube, their malleability gives rise to deformities and the gate disintegrates easily, cheap and cheerful and a favorite of Scaff Companies for that reason.

That said, it all down to personal preferance and we are all entitled to our personal opinion, what ever floats your boat...at the end of the Day as long as the foldin is in the Bank ;)

podger

you'v raised a good point---given that it is surface friction that holds the Coupler to the Tube, the more surface area on the inside of the Coupler the better

Garry...

Just to quote you on an earlier convo m8.
Have found when building anything like a horse for a truss out there tends to be a wee bit slipage due to the big bolt, never went anywhere but just a bit concerning! Maybe I'm not hanging on the end of my spanner for long enough.

Like you said on previous post tho "As long as the folding goes in the bank".

Heid

Given that the good Lord did not endow us with a Torque regulator in our arm, we cannot gauge if a Fitting has been wrapped to it allocated Torque Value stated within B.S.1139. 5 Metal and Design 5.2.1.6

However, I am sure that a Scaffolder of your experiance will be able to determine whither you have applied sufficient Frictional Stress to mitigate against slippage. If in doute I find it prudent to affix a cheque Coupler where practicable.

Garry

That was with check couplers. Dont get me wrong they are a good fitting for base outs an all but im not sold, but then again your not trying to sell me any.

I have worked with a lot of companies and their bosses swear by them, when maintained and serviced properly, ie a squirt of oil then they probably are very good but when your sub contracting to interserve I tend not to hold my breath:D

The mills 90 is a good fitting just takes a bit of getting used to saved on Aberdeen trannys and every thing was neat when using them. As for materials coming from the yard when i started in the street i was givin a bent rusty old spaner and told not to give a fitting up unless it was turned down and it worked ok if it didnt work it came down in my direction a load faster than it went up.and that was before hards hats wher manditory

Thats a fair comment m8!!

I spent half my teenage years ducking fittings, Just glad I was built like a racing snake.

I know they save on Aberdeens and you dont have to put your intermediates on swivels to stop the boards bouncing but thats half the fun.... I think?

Better off just working down south and just build the whole job out of clips, swiv to swiv on the brace etc etc. ;)

Heid

I tend to agree Interserve are notoriouse for **** gear and as for their yella jeely :nuts: feck me its nae real Man :cry:---are you Subying in Abredeen ?

Working with some guys from Dundee in st andrews m8!!

Wish I was back home!!

Been told that we shouldnt be erecting the good old yelly jelly as well because were not qualified:confused:

A Bairn wi A Biscuit Arse and all that eh:bigsmile:

Think i'll maybe change my signature soon

Top Bottom