Safelinx Board Retainer - Simple, Quick, Safe... Across the Board

Warped boards.

Most people question how the units work on warped boards, as long as they are not propeller tackle they'll work. They may be a little harder to install but they are still easyer and quicker to use than any other method.
As I've mentioned Kier have recently run trials which they are happy show Safelinx stops or minimises warpage on new boards, so can help lengthen the life and look of boards.

Wates trial

Next trial to run begining of October,
Wates have seen what's been going on and want to see for themselves, thank you once again Scaffolders Forum.
Will keep you posted,

Hi Chris,

It's been a while since I have seen you on here but I have a bit of a problem with the retainers. Wind speed currently 58mph gusts stronger but no information on strength yet. A number of retainers failed sending boards flying out and complaints flying in. Cable ties held firm but some retainers snapped in half so boards were obviously fitted correctly. There will be questions asked on proving fit for purpose material used so any help would be appreciated.

I've not got all the information yet as the main contractor called back a couple of his boy's to remove the boards to the sheltered side until we get there in the morning. Any information I have is second hand at the moment so I don't want to jump to any conclusions. The wind is quite high but nothing we shouldn't be expecting at this time of year that's why we installed the retainers in the first place. If we were at fault I will be first to stick my hands up and post the pictures.

Hi Alastair,

Very sorry to hear of the faliures, will call you in the morning to answer any questions you or your client have.

Once again sorry for your distress.

Nick.

Thanks Nick, especially for such prompt attention, you have my mobile.

Panic

Glad to hear the Safelinx units didn't fail, even in what the met office data says were averaging storm force winds @ 60 mph and gusts of 66mph which is violent storm. The problem we discussed of the open end on a return is being solved, I will post a sample of a return unit tomorrow. It would be good if you could give me an idea of the number of repeats you've had from your stock and the contractors/client reactions to them.

Cheers again for the wind speed info.

Nick.

Well boy's as alway's the truth will out. The retainers didn't snap in half as first thought although a couple were never seen again with the only evidence of them ever being there at all is the cable ties remained in place. As any investigator will tell you there is very rarely one single reason for any failure and this was no different. If there is a weak link with using this system to tie your boards down it is on the return where the boards lap on top of one another. With all the snow and ice we have been getting it has probably been about 3 years since we have had a good January gale but the other day was a fair old battering with winds steady storm force 9-10 for 3 day's before anything moved. The boy's fitting them couldn't get the retainers on the returns and didn't put anything else in to compensate, the building we were on stepped out from the rest making it more exposed to the wind than the rest, and when the retainers are put under additional strain the top lip can warp releasing their grip on the board opening the rest of the decks to total failure. I hope I have explained that correctly. We have addressed our failure to protect the return and after talking to Nick I know they are addressing their concerns of the top lip giving out first and also developing a return retainer for the future. The long and short of it is we still have plenty faith in the retainer and will continue to use it in the future, but we will have to be a bit more aware of how the returns are protected until Nick comes up with the permanent solution.

The direction of the wind meant that the loose boards were blown up the roof rather than down to the ground so we are taking that as a stroke of luck and a lucky escape, a vital lesson learned for the future.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Glad to hear the Safelinx units didn't fail, even in what the met office data says were averaging storm force winds @ 60 mph and gusts of 66mph which is violent storm. The problem we discussed of the open end on a return is being solved, I will post a sample of a return unit tomorrow. It would be good if you could give me an idea of the number of repeats you've had from your stock and the contractors/client reactions to them.

Cheers again for the wind speed info.

Nick.

Hi Nick,

I'm not sure exactly how many times we have used individual units to be honest but we have been using them all the time except for maybe site work where the danger is minimal. What I can tell you from client feed back is they love them and we have had many a pat on the back for actively seeking out new products to improve our jobs. We have no hesitation in continuing using the retainers and look forward to seeing the Mark11.

Hi Nik, the mark 2's arrived safe and sound today and looking forward to testing them out next week, thanks again for every thing.

If it's a caning your after you have come to the right scaff.:embarrest: I have a couple of jobs in the middle of no where (nothing new there) that could provide a good test. I will let you know how we get on.

February11014.jpg

February11012.jpg

Hi Nick,

Sorry for not answering your text but we are flat out at the moment and working weekends and to be honest I was just tired. The first picture show's what we think is a better return but will never work on all corners of a job. The second show's your return retainer sitting on omega boards as that's how we usually fit the ladder access. I'm sorry to say I don't really think your return retainer is really any better than what we do at the moment with the mark 1. The new samples you sent me are great though, you weren't joking about a snug fit, nothing we can't handle and it will maybe mean the scaff's will repair a few band ends once in a while. I think they are improved and definitely have a tighter grip on the board. A mixed bag I'm afraid, I can definitely see the improvements from the mark 1 but the return problem has not been solved for me and will probably need to protect it some other way.

Thanks for the pics and input AOM. I agree the return unit isn't the ideal answer and think we may have got it, will send you a copy of the toolbox talk once we finalize it.

The Mark II units are snug but as I'm sure you are aware they do loosen a little with use. Thank you once again for the input

I wasn't complaining regarding the tight fit Nick, just that it was a noticeable difference from the first one. I am looking forward to your tool box talk and see what you have come up with.

Didn't mean to infer you were complaining Alastair, just wanted any people reading the posts to have a little more info on the product. Seemed a good way to pass on the feedback we received from another customer. I met a guy the other day who had used the units but didn't know they were my design and he mentioned the tight fit too, so just wanted to put it out there that they do relax a little after being used a few times.
Will post the photo's of the basic approach tomorrow, will set the Scaff up to shoot.

Top Bottom