Calling all Impact Wrench users!

daune

The British Standard and the Manufacturers of Couples Recommendations stipulate a Torque Value of 50 for the deployment of couplers...

The Torque Values ranges vary in each individual make ranging from 150 ( Hilti ) to 248 ( Milwaukee ) these Torque Values are acceptable when dismantling, however, there may be concerns when using such high Torque Values when affixing a coupler to a tube because as stated above 50 is the Recommended Torque...

Hilti have been working on a mechanism which will furnish a Torque Value of 50 at their R & D facility in Lichtenstein---they think that they may well have succeeded and will be releasing the tool end of October...

Although a B. S. is NOT a Statutory requirement it is a Standard for the optimum use in Engineering yields and tolerance of the coupler, any force applied other than the B.S. will compromise the integrity of the couple and therefore compromise the Stability, Reliability and Integrity of the Scaffold...

Therefore, Technically, the Impact Wrenches on the Market at present are not fit for purpose ( Scaffold Erection ) HOWEVER, they are fit for purpose ( Scaffold Dismantlement )

There are other Health, Safety, Quality, Environmental and Fiscal considerations...but the above will do for a start :eek:

JUST LOOKED AT THIS POST GARY US SAY THEY ARE ABOVE AND BEYONE THE RECOMENDED TORC SO NO GOOD

THERE ARE LOWER SPEC MODLES LOWER TORC AND DIFFRENT DRILLS DRIVER DRILLS AND CMOBI DRILL THAT HAVE MAX TORCS OF 50 - 80 OF TORC
EG Makita BHP456RFE

ARE THESE DRILLS ANY GOOD FOR SCAFFOLDING DOES ANY 1 NO OR HAVE USE THIS TYPE OF DRILL AS APOSE TO THE IMPACT WRENCH?

Whilst I agree it is not an exact science but for me it's no different to using a spanner, we all have different size arms. They can be used to over tighten fittings as especially at the start if you tried to strike a job built using an IW it would be a nightmare, but like most things in life and time goes on you get confident with your machine and no how long to push the button. I reckon these values stated are maximum in an ideal world and can be controlled with a bit of practice. That been said if one came out with a controlled value we would probably look closely at it but how good would it be at ramming home the excalibur bolts? I know they might not be designed to be rammed but in my world it is more often than not required to be.

theres been loads of threads on this lolol

IWs are like marmite
yes they're a little heavy- but u get used to it
yes they're a little noisy - but u get used to it
yes you get the piiiss ripped out of you -but u get used to it lol

after nearly 30yrs on the spanners last year after a quad bike accident which ruptured 2 discs, thought i'd never turn a spanner again, a few months ago i tried a makita - job done and another convert to the IW brigade -
i think untill they come down in price they will be out of reach for the average scaffolder, as the whole set up can be nearly a weeks wages, i would hghly recommend anyone to give them a try
they are an addition to your tools not a replacement of your spanner,as for torque values and the fit for purpose debate i would simply reply that spanners have no torque setting on them either so they're not fit for purpose but anyway after a little practice you get the feel for the machine exactley as u do with your spanner when doing up a nut - i have 2 batterys one for the morning ,1 for the afternoon, the charger comes with me and goes into the agents/site hut so i dont use my own electric at home although i was chatting to another scaff the other day who puts his on charge in the lorry, the fast charge only takes 20mins so u could put on charge doing your breaks,
most of my guys are swithcing to them now but dont forget a lanyard cos you really wouldn't want to drop it lololo (could be talking shiiit but think i read somewhere that the makita is brushless)

Last edited:
None of our lads use them...Although when busy last year we took on a couple of lads on a short term deal "Sinders" (Who posts on here) and his mucker...both good lads and both converts to the impact wrench..

Non of our other lads have bothered with them and stick to the traditinal swing over.

One thing I have noticed however....These power tools seem to be more appealing to the more experienced lads whom are perphaps having problems with their wrists due to their length of service etc...

Perphaps we should be encouraging our younger Scaffolders to take up the wrench method and save them from the risk of painful Arthritis later in their careers and life time.
Thoughts anyone??

Scaff1998

I was merely comparing the Torque Values available on IM Wrenches with that of the Manufacturers and BS Standards---many users will testify that these IM Wrenches assist the user, which is the main attribute as far as I am concerned.

As for the Technicalities, for example the non-compliance of Torque Value applied to the Component Part whilst using the IM Wrench this is for the user to decide whether it is Efficient and Effective for the purpose and I am not sure where one would stand in a Court of Law should it be proved that a Component failed and was a pre courser to that failure. That said, there appears to be no objection from the HSE in the usage of IM Wrenches---so my view is to carry on regardless...as I have already premised, if it enhances the Health of the user then that cant be a bad thing, anything else of value is a bonus...

Personally PW, I think you are bang on but I also think the young team have to learn to swing a spanner first. Not sure when that exactly happens but I have told the young guns with me not too even think about it for a while yet but at some point in the not too distant future they really should think about it before the rot sets in.

From what I've noticed the only 14.4v that is half sharp is the Hilti model, (I use one!) most other people I know use 18v wrenches, only thing helpful I could say is buy a new one under warranty, as to be fair they're all ***** with regards to being fit for purpose, don't think I know anyone who's had one last longer than 3months without burning out. Hilti is also best for fixing the tool and returning within 3-4 days, most others are taking weeks even months to sort problems under warranty Bosch makita panasonic that I know of.

So they usually burn out after a few months???
That because they are not looked after or because they cannot take the strain of doing/undoing fittings up all day?

£300 or so every 3 months seems an awful big lay out for a single tool, if you ask me.
Unless you can get it fixed ofcourse.

Its because they're under to much strain I think, as I treat mine ok and it still breaks! With regards to the cost that's why I said too get a new one with a warranty so you at least get the length or the warranty with no repair costs, quite a few are doing 2 year warranties Inc Hilti so it's abit more cost effective.

Ya, i see what you mean.
Each to their own, but i cant see myself using one.

I still prefer my trusty old Big Ben Titanium Spanner.
7 years and the box still aint stretched... but i do try to use it as little as possible, lol. ;)

I've just purchased the hilti i will update as to longevity ........ i am relying on the lifetime guarantee so as to negate the burn out problem

3 months?? Don't sound so appealing....they definatly seem beneficial when striking, a lot of money tho, especially if your periodically waiting for repair or replacement. I really am in two minds, maybe the 18v are better in the sense that they can handle the constent use but then your looking a more weight, longer charge times....

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

I've just purchased the hilti i will update as to longevity ........ i am relying on the lifetime guarantee so as to negate the burn out problem

Does the lifetime guarantee come as standard or is that extra?

We have had ours for a few months now, the makita we have had the longest and again touch wood no problems although the lights on the hilti have gone out and some say that is always the first to go. I can only tell you how we have found them and to be honest no break downs yet touch wood.

3 months, then burn out.......what a load of pish, you must have a dodgy one mate.

the Makita i have you can even buy and change the Brushes yourself, plus with the Torque values that it has, why would it burn out wrapping or loosening a scaffold fitting that is wrapped to a supposedly quarter of the tools maximum Torque?

3 months?? Don't sound so appealing....they definatly seem beneficial when striking, a lot of money tho, especially if your periodically waiting for repair or replacement. I really am in two minds, maybe the 18v are better in the sense that they can handle the constent use but then your looking a more weight, longer charge times....

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Does the lifetime guarantee come as standard or is that extra?
2 year lifetime guarantee as standard ..........

3 months !!!!
My first makita 5 years on my second as the batteries had gone and rather buy new I upgraded to the lithium batteries on the new model

3 months !!!!!!!!!

what is best makita to get and where please

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

and hilti just said dont do belt holders is this true got to carry all time

Don't need to carry all the time, almost any holder will do. Most are using some fancy big lug thing but I just use a standard drill pouch and it's fine. At the very start of the thread there is a link to where most bought their makita but being honest if I could I would by direct from makita as there will be less hassle should something goes wrong.

Top Bottom