Calling all Impact Wrench users!

Have been using the Hilti 14.4v with a torque setting of 114ftlb which is well above the HSE recommendation for torque of a right angle coupler, have had this for two years now and with two years warranty it is very cost effective, l sub on to one company in Swindon and all the blokes use them on a fleet maintained basis another firm l sub on to. Most the blokes use desalts and they are falling apart. I had to send my Hilti for repair and the courier picks it up from my house and returns it in four days, brilliant piece of kit, it's also worth stating that with an end over spanner the variation between blokes strength,size will give a big difference in tightness of fitting whereas with the impact wrench all fittings are done up to the same torque. Wish l had it 30 years ago ........;-)

That's the problem though Dodger, well above the recommended torque. I am a fan but it's another get out clause for some.

Surely it's far better to be above the advised torque than just on it or even below it, Hiti have bought out a new variable torque wrench and the older version has two settings, setting one is 84ftlb and setting two is 114 FtLb. Using setting one that is the lowest is more than enough, l know it's still well above the recomended 36 ftlb(HSE recommendation) but we all know how the brickies just love to overload the lifts and l must say since using them l haven't seen any slippages. Thanks for the constructive comment.

we might say that the values are nominal ..i haven't had the will to really test whjat the coupler deploys at ...i do know from spanner testing a few as i go im happy with how its going

Surely it's far better to be above the advised torque than just on it or even below it, Hiti have bought out a new variable torque wrench and the older version has two settings, setting one is 84ftlb and setting two is 114 FtLb. Using setting one that is the lowest is more than enough, l know it's still well above the recomended 36 ftlb(HSE recommendation) but we all know how the brickies just love to overload the lifts and l must say since using them l haven't seen any slippages. Thanks for the constructive comment.

These things have come under some scrutiny Dodger and the problem lies with the cheap fittings we all now use. As some of these fail it's a lot easier to look for external reasons as it couldn't possibly be our fitting that is weak so it must have been abused at some stage, low and behold a get out clause for all. I have a Hilti as well, someone else uses it but I am well acquaint with it and you have to be very careful not to over stretch the thread or bolt. I have tested many fittings over the past month or so and have found the younger scaffs torque their fittings higher with the swing over than someone on an IW but proving that may be difficult as my tests were hardly scientific.

These things have come under some scrutiny Dodger and the problem lies with the cheap fittings we all now use. As some of these fail it's a lot easier to look for external reasons as it couldn't possibly be our fitting that is weak so it must have been abused at some stage, low and behold a get out clause for all. I have a Hilti as well, someone else uses it but I am well acquaint with it and you have to be very careful not to over stretch the thread or bolt. I have tested many fittings over the past month or so and have found the younger scaffs torque their fittings higher with the swing over than someone on an IW but proving that may be difficult as my tests were hardly scientific.

Morning Guys,
a couple of observaions if I may,
I dont think the HSE set the recomended torque for fitting I think that would be the manufacturer.
Over torquing can in many cases cause irreparable damage to the coupler not just the bolt.
The quality of the fittings may a consideration but in this instance may not be an issue if the IW is set to the correct torque.
The tool should fit the job not the other way around.

The strength of a fitting is in it's ability to spring back into shape.
What this means is that it is the recoil of the coupler that is resisting the torque, if a coupler is overtorqued it is unable to maitain its ability to recover and thus becomes a problem. Similar I would think to bending your credit card back and forth eventually it will break.

Thanks for the replays and interest in this subject it's good to see that there are still some very active and intellectual brains out there in the scaffolding industry not just the book readers, cheers guys.

Part of the problem Alan you can't get an IW that applies the correct torque. They have an advertised maximum but no way to control it any other way than with experience.

You are correct AOM, however does that make it OK to use one that over torques the fitting?

some of the lads that do up the fittings at our spot you can litrally stand on you spanned and bounce b4 it comes un done av seen 1,000's of stretched gates and theres not an iw in sight just a few water boys, at leaste your getting a consistency with the iw a swing over from big daddy on a monday at 23 stone compared to 9 stone pipe cleaner on a friday after noon massive inconsistency

You are correct AOM, however does that make it OK to use one that over torques the fitting?

The short answer to that Alan in my humble opinion is Yes. Like most things you get to know how to use them correctly and as marra has said, we are finding that the more inexperienced boy's on the swingover will put more torque on the fittings than an experienced scaff with an IW. I sometimes think we are trying to re-invent the wheel.:(

The short answer to that Alan in my humble opinion is Yes. Like most things you get to know how to use them correctly and as marra has said, we are finding that the more inexperienced boy's on the swingover will put more torque on the fittings than an experienced scaff with an IW. I sometimes think we are trying to re-invent the wheel.:(

AOM is right, we now have fittings which can be over torqued with a standard spanner let alone an IW, seems like the stuff holding our work together is getting worse!

Bl00dy Trainers LOL:toung:

No doubt in the not too distant future I will be sending the boys to the centers for a 2 day torque induction course.

Only two days for the inspection of the IW at least a week for the user

I'm thinking of getting one of these but have no idea what kind or make is the best or the best battery life any advice would be fantastic

I would stick with the hilti John. Just easier should anything go wrong but for me the Makita is hard to beat. The batteries are better and give you a bit more warning they are going to run out where as the Hilti just stops working. Still a good machine when you get used to it but you will spin a few nuts clean off the bolt as the brake is fairly poor. Easier to service and repair though or even just hire for a couple of quid a week.

Exactly John. I know there are plenty others but for me they are weak. B&Q is for the DIYers. To be honest I wouldn't give any others house room as they would never last a heavy shift let alone the additional abuse the average scaff would put on them. Might well be very wrong but I doubt it.

I would stick with the hilti John. Just easier should anything go wrong but for me the Makita is hard to beat. The batteries are better and give you a bit more warning they are going to run out where as the Hilti just stops working. Still a good machine when you get used to it but you will spin a few nuts clean off the bolt as the brake is fairly poor. Easier to service and repair though or even just hire for a couple of quid a week.

you dont have the link do ya marra looked every were for the hire link and can not find 1 any were

Top Bottom