Sccr

To all members of the SCCR.

I wish to apologise for the time it is taking to get the SCCR web site up & running. As you all know the SCCR committee gives its time free of charge & on a part time basis. I hope to have the site looking better & working to a better standard within the next couple of weeks.

Sponsor deals are being sort & the shop with discounts for members will be open soon.

We need your help, I am after some good photos of scaffolds that have been done by members to put on the site to make it look a bit more professional.

Regards Stewart

To all members of the SCCR.

I wish to apologise for the time it is taking to get the SCCR web site up & running. As you all know the SCCR committee gives its time free of charge & on a part time basis. I hope to have the site looking better & working to a better standard within the next couple of weeks.

Sponsor deals are being sort & the shop with discounts for members will be open soon.

We need your help, I am after some good photos of scaffolds that have been done by members to put on the site to make it look a bit more professional.

Regards Stewart

give me another week and i should be able to give you a whole album with the work ive been doing:laugh::laugh: seriously if i sort out my camera, and get a lead so i can transfer them to my laptop i will send some in:cool:

If any of you are in the birmingham area and wish to meet the SCCR then tuesday 26th october is the time . pm us and we'll tell you where (Not far from Broad street.)

also still requiring more :

H&S advisors,
Auditors,
Lecturers / Assessors,
Legal experts,
Designers.

Now is the chance to voice your opinion within the industry.

Just wanted to wish you guys the best for tomorrow's meeting with HSE :)

I think it is long over due that someone speakes for the men at the coalface of this industry, i was very close to setting up some kind of voice my self for us all, i have worked in this industry for nearly 25 years , hold an advanced card , not that makes any diffrence, I am sure you will all agree, it"s the experience that counts, nothing else.

I am not a regular to this form ,but having seen this is the most positive move forward
this industry has had for me in years, there are so many issues ,good hard working men getting ripped of by there own employers, were is our protection!!

The training these young guys are getting today is a joke, the training colleges are giving out tickets like candy, and these lads have had no guidence what so ever, and it shows, the industry , NASC ,likes to show itself as a modern, forward thinking body, but you know what , they do nothing for me, or us, it is about time that someone demands answers from the powers at be, you have my support mate if this helps.

jim your now part of a growing disenchanted group of tradesmen,my setiments indeed mukka.

HSE Meting 27th October 2010

Meeting started with a presentation by Simon Hughes Simian Risk on SG4 2010.

Following this there was a 30 minute question & answer session.

• Chairman’s Report. Summary of the scaffoldersforum & the formation of the SCCR from this. Scaffolders voice as well as being able to help companies move forward with current changes in legislation.
• The ECITB issue was raised & the meeting was informed of a case number being issued by the DBTI.
• Training Report . This mainly concerned the CISRS scheme & the apprenticeships. This subject will be followed up with a meeting with Mr Dave Mosley in November.
• Information to non members of the NASC is very poor on changes to working guidelines & legislation.
• Health & Safety Report. Advanced rails was the main topic along with the effects from the use of the step up device & the wearing & safe rescue with harnesses.
• The question of unauthorised scaffold adaptions & the removal of ties was discussed at length. Why were these two subjects not a reportable incident to the HSE.
• Due to time constraints New Technologies was not discussed & the promotions of the SCCR was made in brief.
• AOB was also brief, concerns on metal brick guards, stacking of material on scaffolds & bricks on top of walls on progressive. The blatant disregard for do not use signs or scafftag systems.

Registered Office: Trudgeon Halling, The Platt, Wadebridge, Cornwall PL27 7AE
sccr@sky.com Welcome to The SCCR
Tel: 01566-86738

I think it is long over due that someone speakes for the men at the coalface of this industry, i was very close to setting up some kind of voice my self for us all, i have worked in this industry for nearly 25 years , hold an advanced card , not that makes any diffrence, I am sure you will all agree, it"s the experience that counts, nothing else.

I am not a regular to this form ,but having seen this is the most positive move forward
this industry has had for me in years, there are so many issues ,good hard working men getting ripped of by there own employers, were is our protection!!

The training these young guys are getting today is a joke, the training colleges are giving out tickets like candy, and these lads have had no guidence what so ever, and it shows, the industry , NASC ,likes to show itself as a modern, forward thinking body, but you know what , they do nothing for me, or us, it is about time that someone demands answers from the powers at be, you have my support mate if this helps.

Jim,

experience does count i agree but i've met some right forrest gumps with advanced cards too, surely knowledge and how to apply it is important! In my book that knowledge comes from training (good training that is) and experience learning from old hands (only the good practices through). You can't have one without the other. I picked up most of my bad habbits from older scaffolders. I did not know any different until i did my part 1.

On a supervisors course recently, we were told that the law requires competent people, and that was made up of a balance of training, experience and knowledge. so you can't have one without the others!

So if the training is not up to scratch what can be done to improve the industry instead of everyone just nocking it?

lets be constructive - longer courses, more time on the spanner between courses, harder tests...?

Hi Taffscaff72

Yes mate, I do agree with you, it"s better to look for soultions to issues in this game rather than knocking the industry all the time, and I have done my bit to try and change the mind set of managers, supervisors reguarding the treatment of some of the lads i have had on my jobs, when they get laid off for no reason, { well the real reason being there face don"t fit} or they don"t massage the supervisors ego enough ,or they don"t get paid because they won"t work in monsoon rain, or they get given a lump on pricework, cover there money and more , then it"s the, sorry mate we can"t pay that, or we priced it wrong, the list goes on, of course it"s a business and it needs to make money, but should this be at the cost of someones job,quality of work, or even worse there safety ?

I am not talking from personal experience , for the most part I have earned a decent living from this game ,and still do ,but untill there is some governing body were all scaffolders can turn to for there employment rights ,wage rights , and any other issues they may have, we will always be at the mercey of the pound note, and the firms we work for.

As for the training system ,all young lads should work with a charghand for at least five years before they are even sent for there ticket, with assements made by the chargehand scaffolder as to there ability , maybe every six months ,and the same with advanced cards after eight or ten years.I know this is unrealistic, but for me the present system is just a money making racket feeding the coffers of the NASC,and training bodies.And yes old school scaffolders are not perfect, but if i had a choice between old school or a fresh part two on a hanger 80ft of the deck, i know what my choice would be.

yes 5 years min before even being put in for advanced and then it should be done over 2 years before gaining the assessment day including 3 onsite assessments.

PayPal set up now for memberships.

T'shirts will be ordered this week as well as sweat shirts, wooly hats & polo shirts.

Workwear & safety wear at discounts for sccr members will be on sale from our shop.

Support us support you.

Stewart

Please find a copy section from an e-mail I have sent to Simon Hughes at Simian Risk.

"Dear Simon,

I am bit surprised I have not heard from you since we meet at the SCCR meeting with the HSE.

After all you showed a great interest in what we are doing. I did on behalf of the forum invite you to join under your own name so you could be involved in the training & Health & Safety topics on the site.

To date this has not happened.

Anyway I again ask you to join the site under your name or both you & Ian under Simian. We are looking at starting a Health & Safety section & you could have great input in this.

As you know when we spoke the SCCR is trying to work with other organisations to progress the Industry.

You are aware that this & any correspondence in this matter is Forum business & will be posted. If you do not want your reply posted then please let me know when you find time to return one to me.

Regards Stewart Quinney
Ragscaff

E-mail sent to ECITB

Dear Nigel,

I contacted Mr Jock Simpson as you suggested.

He pointed me in the direction of Tom Hardacre of Unite & the meeting at his office on the 7th October. Could you please inform me who attended on behalf of the ECITB.

Also one of our members has informed me today he has had a letter stating his ticket is now valid until Dec 2011. Can you confirm to me what happens then?

Why has this change been made?

Regards Stewart Quinney
Chairman
SCCR

Correspondence is available to the membership of the SCCR

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

e-mail sent to Unite the union

Dear Mr Hardacre,

I have tried on several occasions to contact you in regards the ECITB scaffolders card.

Mr Jock Simpson of the National Joint Council suggested I contacted you in relation to the meeting held at his office on the 7th October. He said you would be able to send me a copy of the minutes of this meeting.

One of our members who is also a member of the Union has informed me today that he has had a letter stating his ticket is now valid till next year 2011 can you please comment on this & let me know what the plan is with regards this ticket. I have also contacted the ECITB in regards these issues.

Regards Stewart Quinney
Chairman
SCCR

Correspondence is available to the membership of the SCCR

New company

Hi

can someone tell me. What i need to do if i want open the scaffolding company.

skyla youv came to the right place,there are many company owners in the forum post a thread in the main forum and youl get all the info you need,best of luck mate.

Top Bottom