whats the best "double" you have worked with and why

Once you learn how to use a mills properly then you will be convinced they are best for all jobs.

Once you learn how to use a mills properly then you will be convinced they are best for all jobs.
It is obvious that most people will choose the fitting that they started out on. For me in 1988 it was the Mills Double and therefore I thoroughly agree with Gaz's statement as to once you learn how to use a Mills double properly then you will see that they are best for all jobs.
Structural Solid Scaffold with Double on Double
Like the speed bolt concept - does not gather loads of crap.

Best double ived worked with is a double vodka. Put job up pissed but after couple of double vodka's everything looked plumb

dont suppose ya cvan use the iw on a speed thread ????? not that your really would need to but can it be used on 12 efectivly

Gaz

Aye, I like the speed thread provision, ye faster and the threads don,t pick up as mush debris in the conventional iso threads. However, there was a concern raised regarding the speed thread in that, they were apt to slacken when subjected to vibration---this concern has never been proved and may be an urban myth---however, if any of the Scaffs has any information to the contrary please let me know---I carry a quantity of Mill'iz 90z and P/Cz for task specific jobs and cant see past them.
Garry...

all ive worked with are millsys theyre the best a think double to double all the time,talking about them coming loose though we came to strip a job only 10 lifts but on nearly every lift all the way along there were loose fitting caused of the vibrations like thread nearly at the bottom and tubes were loose!!!

I got a reverse double up on the gigis was able to stay in pub all day

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

sticky wullie and bandomplate tenner reverse double payed back 114 pounnnnnnnnnnds

Like you Garry I’m also a great believer in Mills 90 couplings,

I remember the Mills 90s quite well. When tightened to 48 Nm they had a unique gripping action enabling them to carry a load of more than twice the SWL of a drop forged or pressed steel coupling.

When installed correctly the Mills 90 behave more like a shackle by biting into the steel tube as they start taking the load, as opposed to friction clamp type fittings such as the drop forged or pressed steel type, this unique feature of the Mills coupling eliminates any slipping and gives it greater strength. The safe working load of a drop forged or pressed steel double coupling to EN74 Class A is 6.1 kN Whereas a Mills 90 installed under engineering conditions has a safe working load of 12.5 kN.

Even under extreme loading the Mills double will not slip although loads in excess of 4 tonnes have been known to cause shearing of the bolt seating. Another good thing about the Mills 90 is that due to its unique action under load there was never any need to install a check coupling.

However customers would sometimes specify the use of check couplings, and if a check is fitted a clearance of not less than 5 mm between the check and the fitting under load must be left.
The 5 mm gap enables the loaded coupler to rotate slightly as it takes up the load. If that is prevented then the Mills 90 will slip at loads lower than the specified safe working load.

As the Mills 90 needs to rotate to take up its maximum load it can never be used as a supplementary coupler, nor can the load capacity be increased by any other coupler acting as a supplementary to it.

During manufacture the Mills 90 is heat treated to give it a characteristic spring steel property.

When using Mills 90 fittings there is no need to fit an Aberdeen Transom and this is because the main transom can be bearing onto the Ledger but clamped onto the standard with a Mills 90 without clashing with any other coupling.

So why aren’t the Mills 90 still being used? Well one reason is that they are not manufactured to BS EN 12811-1:2003 which tells us that scaffold fittings should comply to BS EN 74-1.

The mills fitting as explained by the master.
This thread is worth a read.

As a young lad in the 80s my Friday job was to drive down to Carmarthen in the supervisors car and check the bolts on a ramp that was put up for access to the new Tesco.i did it for maybe twelve month or more and not one mills double slackened off.so yes it's an urban myth and probably made up be scaffs who never gave them a chance.only down fall is they have to be used in pairs.

Top Bottom