What is the best tie use used and why.

Not much info on the link - call me lazy, but is there any more available?

JonEng,
Basically its a long rubber washer as you do the nut up it squeezes the washer from the ends causing it to expand. Never had a problem with a 10kN pull test with these.

Will look into this, how does it compare price-wise to the alternatives?

I speak to the Hilti rep (highway robber!!) frequently and he told me a couple of months back that Hilti are going to stop selling the expanding anchors.

My personal preference now is the apollo scaffold screw, brilliant peice of kit. They also do a **** load of other tie systems, give them a call, one of the best and most helpfull suppliers Ive ever spoken to.

Dave

ive tried to find info on the apollo tie before , but there web site is down , we are using excalibur bolts strait through mills 90s , also the ring bolt with a hook fitting
13mm drill bit is what we was told to use.

Leachs tie thats reffered to in the first few posts is made by a colleagues brother inlaw up in peterborough and they put 50% mark up on the product

Thanks to all who posted, great help as usual. Still waiting for supplier to get back to me with official info, but as advised from plenty posters now using 13 mm bit in granite and the ties are going in like they should and passing pull test with ease.

Apollo ties

Hi all

We have always used hilti rings with expanding plugs, and we are thinking about trying the apollo fixings.

Does anyone know if these fix into the bricks or cement?
If they acheive the designated pull rating does it matter?

thanks

Jim

Jimbo we use them to tie in to everything with great success they are a good product , even idits can get them in

jimbo, i agree with scaffy (even the idiots touch) but if you have kids working for you that are as thick as dungeon walls, ask apollo to provide the free training, it only takes half a day i think? but well worth it.

jimbo, i agree with scaffy (even the idiots touch) but if you have kids working for you that are as thick as dungeon walls, ask apollo to provide the free training, it only takes half a day i think? but well worth it.

Ha Ha, that's a good one.:D

We can give you all the information you need on ties and we have lots of options depending on what you are tieing onto and how you want to do it. We also know that Hilti are about to stop doing or already have the HTA-RB removal tie, we are currently working on an alternative and think we have one but we need to test them before we go to manufacture.

Just thought I would bump this one up after Scaffman kicked off a similar thread regarding testing just to show the school of thought that lead me to use the nylon tie.

Excalibers straight thru the holes in the back of a band and plate,realy fast and strong,and a few testers at ground level,depending how many ties are required overall,and your pull test is done in a minute,takes longer to fill the tags and paperwork in:cool:

I find excalibers great in concrete , but i dont trust them in soft brickwork they never seem to get tight enough, iam thinking of changing over to the smaller nylon eye bolts as i have heard good things about them from a few people.

bigfish i have always loved a band and plate with a shield anchor through the hole ,( great for spurring of )

Seen pictures of a fair size job on here with the beams sitting on this arrangement, never done it myself but it may provide a solution to a problem job we may get. I know an engineer would be required to provide the exact set up but would he put any additional requirements on the job or would you be happy to land beams on to this arrangement then build a couple of lifts on it?

Excalibers straight thru the holes in the back of a band and plate,realy fast and strong,and a few testers at ground level,depending how many ties are required overall,and your pull test is done in a minute,takes longer to fill the tags and paperwork in:cool:

I like those types of ties, i think they are better/stronger then the usual Hilti ties.

Even better with chemical resin. :eek:
You'll have a job getting the tie out with a Kango, after its been 'Chem-Set', lol.

Would you use them to sit a beam on and punch a few lifts off though Jason?

Im no engineer, but they aint half strong mate.
To get them out, you pretty much have the sheer the top of the bolt clean off, as the Chemical sets as hard as concrete.

If the Chemical resin is so strong that it can out last an Excalibur bolt, then id say, Yes.

We are using a 12mm bit and yes I'd love to try a 13mm bit but a bit unsure where that will leave me in the event of failure. I have been in touch with supplier who has promised to get back to me but if no one else is having problems that means it's either something we are doing or they can't handle granite. What they did say was in soft brick use an 11mm bit so you would think in harder surfaces you could use a slightly bigger bit.

Seen pictures of a fair size job on here with the beams sitting on this arrangement, never done it myself but it may provide a solution to a problem job we may get. I know an engineer would be required to provide the exact set up but would he put any additional requirements on the job or would you be happy to land beams on to this arrangement then build a couple of lifts on it?

we build 6 lifts off this worked lovely see if i can get some pics on here tomorrow of the job

Top Bottom