What is the best tie use used and why.

Nice one Paddy - how do they compare price-wise to the apollobolt?

IIRC - thay are comparable in their load bearing capacities

when we have used the excaliburs we normally tighten them up as far as possible with a normal ratchet then we use an impact socket & a breaker bar if necessary, normal socket spread after a few excaliburs:)

when we have used the excaliburs we normally tighten them up as far as possible with a normal ratchet then we use an impact socket & a breaker bar if necessary, normal socket spread after a few excaliburs:)

Do you back them off to release dust when installing?

JonEng

Re: Dust, I P.M'd aom this afternoon and suggested he wash out or blow the dust from the drill holes---as you alluded to in previous post, consideration must be given to the material---I have worked on many Granite Buildings in Aberdeen and as we all know Granite is very unforgiving to a Drill bit, furthermore, the nature of the stone will not allow for any elasticity and the dust reduce the diameter of the hole---Hilti supply a puffer to remove dust prior to drifting the Anchor in to place, however, we used to wash out the dust with a water pistol---simple but effective :nuts:

A water pistol - seriously? - can imagine that being an essential part of yer tool belt :laugh:

I am familiar with the Aberdeen granite (the grey city IIRC?)

Information from Excalibur, for forum members like me, who have not used this product.

Excalibur Screwbolts secure substrate anchoring

Regards
Paddy

Thanks for the link Paddy. As I said in an earlier post I'm not very computer litterate, too many moving parts for a scaff. Had a quick look at their site and it seems we can get all we need to know from there. I think I'm now just a bit more confident with them knowing they seem to be in fairly common use.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Garry,

I mentioned your water pistol idea to the boy's and they were all in favour. I fear for all the residents in our area cos as sure as a cats a hairy wee beast at least one will turn up for work on Monday with a super soaker.:D

JonEng

Aye, a water pistol, or a bicycle pump if we ever lost the Hilti puffer---we used to stop the Police cars and ask them for yellow chalk to mark off the lifts :D...
Aye, Aberdeen Granite great stone, I am researching the Marshall Collage Abdn, its the second largest Granite Building in the World, Im trying to find some of the Masons Marks ao the facade...

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

aom

great fun tell them to put on their wet gear LOLoooo water pistol fights better than throughing fittings at each other lol---you can charge for washin the windows at the same time LOLoooo...

Gary,

Another braw idea re windows.:D The way things are at the minute I'll be able to charge more for that than the scaffold.:sad:

just a small comment on Apollo anchors, we had a crapload of them tying Anchor Mill in Paisley, due to lack of forethought on the management side about building next to water the job sank about 140mm resulting in excess loading of the ties which obviously bent them downward.

When we tried to remove and replace the ties about 70% of the rods sheared which seems to back Garry's point about lateral loads

just a small comment on Apollo anchors, we had a crapload of them tying Anchor Mill in Paisley, due to lack of forethought on the management side about building next to water the job sank about 140mm resulting in excess loading of the ties which obviously bent them downward.

When we tried to remove and replace the ties about 70% of the rods sheared which seems to back Garry's point about lateral loads

What tie would you have specified, out of interest, knowing the foundations were subjest to subsidence?

Lateral loading parallel to the facade of a scaffolding is a mere percentage compared to vertical loading induced by the founding substrate failing

First off Jon I would have had the load bearing capabilities of the ground tested, closest point was less than 2m from a water course (canal, 12-16ft deep), then i would have asked the opinion of someone such as yourself, still a scaff not an engineer or designer m8, give a man his place as my Da says LOL

First off Jon I would have had the load bearing capabilities of the ground tested, closest point was less than 2m from a water course (canal, 12-16ft deep), then i would have asked the opinion of someone such as yourself, still a scaff not an engineer or designer m8, give a man his place as my Da says LOL

Sorry Tinheads, I may have come across a bit harsh there :embarrest:

You are correct in saying that the foundations should have been properly analysed before erection commenced - my point (badly portrayed) was that a scaffold tie should not be expected to prevent a scaffold from subsiding - if the ground is known to be problematic, then the scaffold should be designed accordingly using shear ties into the permanent structure if another solution is not available (ie cantilever out of windows etc)

I apologise again for my previous post :)

No need to apologise m8, I didn't give out the proximity or depth of the water course adjascent to the structure, we're all here to learn not criticise so your input is certainly more than welcome, if we expect you to come up with accurate conclusions we need to give all the pertinent data or your just pissing into the wind

No need to apologise m8, I didn't give out the proximity or depth of the water course adjascent to the structure, we're all here to learn not criticise so your input is certainly more than welcome, if we expect you to come up with accurate conclusions we need to give all the pertinent data or your just pissing into the wind

On a Friday night I am happy to go with your signiture :laugh:

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

i would say band and plate with hkd m16 expanding dropins

Careful - brickwork on older Mill jobs will split when setting the HKD :eek:

As TH said above, this is all theoretical stuff anyhoo :D

after 18 lifts of banana ties into 100 year + brickwork you' be happy to get a horizontal positive intae 2ply Gyprok Lol

Banana tie WTF? :embarrest::laugh:

Was on a netted mill job just before Christmas & even the plug type of ties were failing at about 3kN pull test due to the brickwork splitting & mortar beds being like powder :eek:

Banana tie, - rod shaped like a feckin banana after the scaffold dropped LOL,don't worry I Wisnae springing a new type of tie on ye ROFLMAO

And that sounds like a job for a screwed rod through the wall wi a steel plate front and back that does

Last edited:
Personally I dunno about the pull test figures of that but woe betide the scaff who doubts the power of the Nana

Top Bottom