Sccr

Nominations finish midnight Tuesday the 10th.

If you feel you can make a difference then put yourself forward.

Contact us at sccr@sky.com.

SQ

Committee voting will start 16th April to 20th April due to so many new members being put forward.

We need to contact all those who have been put forward.

SQ

rag scaff you got any flyrers or anything i could put out up here or use of logo etc to advertise in local paper etc???

The SCCR website has some things, I drive around in my van with a lorry sticker crudely stuck to the back and wear an SCCR hat everywhere.

We do need leaflets though this year.

yeah leflets but suppose thats all dow to costs and things...... might get me car stickerd up with it why not lol ill loko in to the price of it and be sure to take a pic lol yeah got to lay off the bank card our lass going nuts x amount on pokler x amount on poker again lol

Nominations now placed on sccr web site.

members can vote now.

Check out the correspondence page.

SQ

what is the latest news on the dreaded scaff step is it any nearer to getting banned good riddance to a bad piece ov kit

HSE are not in a position to ban the Scaff Step. They can advise only.

If there are a number of reported accidents & incidents then they will look into it!! I know of quite a few but the guys will not report them due to fear of repercussions, want to keep hold of their jobs!!!

I feel there is an issue with manual handling as well as poor design. Over stretching & under pressure on upper & lower limbs.

How it came in without any consultation to the work force & proper testing is beyond me!!

SQ

People are not coming forward out of fear for their jobs.

Please if you have had an accident, have witnessed an accident or near miss then report it to an SCCR committee member if you don't feel you can report it to your firm.

FFS, in my limited experience they skin their knee and they are off running to the nurse, if no one reported an accident it's because there hasn't been one. Never met a scaff yet who was afraid for his job to let accidents go unreported even in these austere times.

In my limited experience I've witnessed 21's being dropped from 13 lifts because the big boys aren't as big as they think they are when hemping.
Bad planning from an NASC member only sending out 21's, 8's & 5's?

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

A lad in Birmingham smashed 2 teeth tripping over the step while carrying gear on a lift, I witnessed that too!!

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

I've never seen anyone fall working to SG4:05 though.

I've seen the same long before the step came in, hard to argue against but if you witnessed these accidents you will know if they were reported?

No none were reported, the guy who smashed his teeth was Polish and never seen again, the 21's falling from 13 lifts was also witnessed by the M.C. who did nothing about it.
I kicked up a fuss about it and the poor standard of workmanship and all of a sudden there was a "Downturn of work"

Never stopped the scaffs reporting dangerous occurrences before, well the one's that I ever met.

I have seen it though, you don't spend time on a driller without seeing plenty of near misses or unreported accidents.

The step thing though I still doubt especially if you can't get them on here.

Lets face it, if it was dangerous the HSE would be the very first to bin it. I have struggled to lift a long over some times if I was wearing skins or nearing the end of a long shift but in the main it is a workable solution. If there are firms sending out just 21's and 8's they want their head looked at and I hope they have a lot of sleeves.

The step thing though I still doubt especially if you can't get them on here.

Explain yourself Marra?

haha, I'm no marra, the jam eater is marra.:laugh:

If you can't find a good list of accidents from forum users I feel it's a safe bet they are not happening.

I know not all are on the forum but unless the big wide world has changed since I last stuck my head out my shell, scaffold is a fairly small fraternity and someone would have heard about the friend of a friend.

What about my survey from members of the SCCR, this forum and scaffmag?

i hope the tosser that thought he was gana get a right result at £90 pound a throw gets fook all!!!! and i hope they or he has spent thosands on a copy right gets nish!!! its rubbish perthetic and who cares ive had 10 pints of thatchers gold cider

I know you only put it up again a day or two ago, where was it?

I read it but need a refresher.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

i hope the tosser that thought he was gana get a right result at £90 pound a throw gets fook all!!!! and i hope they or he has spent thosands on a copy right gets nish!!! its rubbish perthetic and who cares ive had 10 pints of thatchers gold cider

haha, good man Dico.:laugh:

Scaff step survey.
These are the recent results of the SCCR's Scaff Step Survey

1. Does your employer or their customers insist on the scaff step being the only method used on their sites?
43.3% Use the step
33.3% Don’t work to SG4:10
23.3% Work in offshore or industrial using other more suitable methods for their environment.

The answers below are only from scaffolders that use the step on a daily basis.

The ones that use the step
54% said yes
46% said no

2. What other methods of advanced guard rails do you or your company use and what is your opinion on them?
53.3% said no other A.G.R. used
13.3% use a dummy lift but time and cost is an issue.
13.3% use a sliding tube.
6.7% use Fast Guard
6.7% use Haki Wand
6.7% use double lanyard and Wrappa Anchor

3. If you use a scaff step what type is it, does it sit on the guard rail or on the standard, does it have a ladder to the platform or not?
All have steps going to the platform
93% sit on the guardrail
7% attach to the standard

4. If you use a scaff step do you feel safe using it, do you hemp while standing on the step?
71.4% feel unsafe using the step
28.6% do not feel unsafe using the step

64.3% hemp from the step
35.7% refuse to hemp from the step

5. Do you think that the scaff step causes extra strain and fatigue to the body?
71.5% say yes
28.5% say no
One is more concerned about gin wheels

6. Are you happy with hemping over the guard rail, do you consider this dangerous.
71.4% are unhappy with hemping over guardrails
28.6% are not

85.8% consider it dangerous
14.2% do not

7. Do you use the scaff step on base lifts, if so how do you manage with uneven ground conditions?

50% use the step on base lifts and erect a foot lift if necessary
50% do not use it on base lifts

8. How are the scaff steps transported from site to site?
71.4% are transported by company vehicles
21.4% are transported in scaffolders own cars
7.2% are left on site

9. Do you consider them dangerous in wet or muddy conditions?
92.9% said yes
7.1% said no

10. Have you or have you witnessed an accident or near miss due to the use of the scaff step or hemping over the guard rail?
78.6% said they had ranging from trips because of the step cluttering lifts to broken bones losing footing on the step and dropped hemps which could have caused a fatality.
21.4% said no but 50% of them expect to see one soon.

11. Do you feel that your job is at risk if you complain about using something you consider unsafe or puts extra strain on your body?
71% said yes
29% said no

12. Do you think the SG4:05 traversing rule was adequate?
78.4% said yes although many admit it was flawed and easily abused
21.6% said no

This is a truthful and unbiased breakdown of all the replies I have received from members of the SCCR, ScaffoldersForum and readers of Scaffmag. Compiled from around 110 replies of which 15% were management.

Russell Swift
SCCR

Top Bottom