Sccr

The law changed in 2005 but collective protection wasn't enforced by the Hse to the scaffold industry until 2010, tunnelling and traversing was allowed up till then. This is why everything changed in SG4:10
Hence the reason people are using steps, bsafe, advanced guard rails. You still have to wear harnesses and clip on where needed, a lot of industrial contractors use double lanyards.

So the law never changed? We were using a method which every organisation approved of, which is now a method considered so dangerous that we can get thrown off site or even prosecuted for using.....

Can anyone else see my point?

How did things change over night from "Yes this is the safest way" to "Nooooo that is DANGEROUS you should never do that!" when that was the method that was taught to us.

The over night change is not safe & is causing wear & tear on the body tat will come back to bite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ragscaff

HSE decide Flinty, they gave the scaffold industry five years to bring this in but if you have a SG4:05 book you will see steps and advanced guardrails so it's not an overnight tevelation

hi ian i work on a new build site and use advanced guardrail system all the time when i lift my boards up i have a fully boarded lift with a double handrail. and because i have a single hrail on the lift i have finished with do i need to wear a harness.

HSE decide Flinty, they gave the scaffold industry five years to bring this in but if you have a SG4:05 book you will see steps and advanced guardrails so it's not an overnight tevelation

I see your point mate it was hinted at, but for the majority it has been an over night change. Few if any would have used these methods over traversing for all the reasons we repeatedly go on about. And to be told that what we were taught to do is now illegal and have to now work to this clumsy new method has been a real shock.

I wonder what NASC really think about all this, they have to agree with HSE because it seems they think they are the word of God but do they really think this is better for us all?

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Oh by the way Ian, I have no idea what "Tevelation" means.... but I love it and intend to use it from now on where ever possible and see what happens ;)

hi ian i work on a new build site and use advanced guardrail system all the time when i lift my boards up i have a fully boarded lift with a double handrail. and because i have a single hrail on the lift i have finished with do i need to wear a harness.

If you bend down to fix the sway brace you are below the single handrail then you need to clip on, if you think it's achievable without wearing a harness then create a safe system of work on your method statement acceptable to your clients and the Hse you could have no problem.

Everything comes down to the wording of your method statements, which should never ever be written in stone if the job changes then alter your method statement to your advantage.

I see your point mate it was hinted at, but for the majority it has been an over night change. Few if any would have used these methods over traversing for all the reasons we repeatedly go on about. And to be told that what we were taught to do is now illegal and have to now work to this clumsy new method has been a real shock.

I wonder what NASC really think about all this, they have to agree with HSE because it seems they think they are the word of God but do they really think this is better for us all?

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Oh by the way Ian, I have no idea what "Tevelation" means.... but I love it and intend to use it from now on where ever possible and see what happens ;)
I like tevelation as well I may use it when tevez scores again or city win the league. The NASC fought hard against this but to no avail. At the eleventh hour of sg4:10 being launched a product manufacturer told the Hse sg4 was unsafe because of the single handrail as they had something that needed a double handrail. There was some serious high level meetings as the Hse had to give a concession to the industry for a single rail. I personally think this will stay if the fall stats keep coming down but it's still a ace up their sleeve for sg4:15

I like tevelation as well I may use it when tevez scores again or city win the league. The NASC fought hard against this but to no avail. At the eleventh hour of sg4:10 being launched a product manufacturer told the Hse sg4 was unsafe because of the single handrail as they had something that needed a double handrail. There was some serious high level meetings as the Hse had to give a concession to the industry for a single rail. I personally think this will stay if the fall stats keep coming down but it's still a ace up their sleeve for sg4:15

You mention fall stats!!

What are the stats for scaffolders falling within the stats of falls from heights?

Also how many fell whilst carrying out their normal daily duties?

Would also be interested in how many fell whilst tunnelling?

We have & are getting quite a few accidents & incidents reports on the step up mainly twisted ankles & the jarring of the hip & knees!

Would be nice to know how many scaffolders are working in a safer environment now these changes have been made.

SQ

Stew,

You have the only alternative campaign going and it does get listened to, fall stats for scaffolders can only be collated for NASC companies unless you can get non NASC companies to do it. The only stats the HSE do is fatalities regarding splitting it into trades, all other falls just go in as a lump. The NASC stats are on their annual accident reports as its a requirement of membership to submit them every year and it should be downloadable from their website.

Ian

I've had a quick look through NASCs website and there are some stats up for accidents and it doesn't seem like falls are our biggest concern, slips and trips are. Sounds familiar, slipped enough time on even ground covered in broken bricks and tiles with a 21 on my shoulder....

Still, I'm more likely to be killed on my way to work than on site.

It's good to know NASC made some attempt to try keep common sense going but now they seem to have lost the will to fight it? At least openly. If they wield the power they claim to they really could put their foot down with the backing of most of the companies out there!

Unfortunately lumping falls into one category really does make a mess of things. There could be one trade out there causing the most accidents while everyone else gets penalised!

ORT LADS JOIN THE SCCR TODAY FINALLY STILL UNSURE ABOUT THE WAY OF THE SCCR ;UNION /GOVERNINGBODY/VOICE ,NOT SURE WHICH IF ANY OF THOSE IT IS BUT HOPEFULLY WILL GET MY HEAD AROUND IT BU AM A BIT CONFUSED OVER THE ELIE MEMBERSHIP CAN SOME 1 PUT ME RIGHT IF AM RONG BUT
''This membership will be the flagship of the confederation the aim is to become preferred suppliers to the main construction companies. This membership will be audited & all companies must follow current legislation & best working practices. Membership certificate will be supplied. This membership is not currently open but existing members will be able to upgrade when available. We aim to have this membership up & running by 2012.''

''The NASC's operates a strict policy of full compliance to all new legislation and its own code of conduct. This separates us from the rest of the industry. Through our annual membership audit we ensure that our members uphold best practice as professionals. This means we do not look for shortcuts on safety, which could put lives at risk''

THIS SOUND THE SAME (RED HIGHITED BITS) IS HE SCCR AS SHADOW OF THE NASC WITH OUT LCOKING OUT MIDDLE AND SMALL COMPANIES DUE TO FINANCIES AND SUTCH ?

Scaff1989, good question I'm in no doubt will be explained in full to your satisfaction but I would just like to point out that the NASC is not exclusively for the big boy's as my continued membership shows. We are as small as they come and proud of it.

Aom i did sate finnances along with small and middle sompanies but we all know the lord of the highlands had plenty ahahha lol
are you a member of the sccr and whats your reasons for been a meber of the nasc to kee up the industry benchmark along with not bene froze out of the big contractors? If you dont mind me asking

I don't mind you asking at all. I joined the nasc as I quickly realised that living in the sticks it would be nigh on impossible to find out what's happening in my industry in regard to doing things right. I didn't know a lot about how they operated but I did know they were big on guidance notes and I wanted them. It is simple as that and to be honest I am delighted I did as I feel it allowed us to start on the right foot from the outset and didn't have too many problems trying to break bad habits.

I am also a member of the SCCR but did it for a few different reasons. Firstly when it was first raised there was a blaze of posters willing to lend a hand and put in their input but when the crunch came one man had to attend a meeting on his Jack Jones which annoyed me to say the least and with the time and effort he put in I felt he deserved a bit of support. I also felt that if there was a change to be made in my industry I wanted to be close to it and see how it would affect me and my wee operation. I don't see it as being any different from a haulier being a member of the FTA and the RHA.

I have noticed from a couple of your posts you are undecided and far be it from me to influence one of the few who want to dig a bit before signing up for anything but for me if nothing else Ragscaff is by far the hardest working man I have ever met and for that alone I feel he is worthy of anyone's support. Granted, it does go a bit deeper than that but that is my opinion anyway.

i don't mind you asking at all. I joined the nasc as i quickly realised that living in the sticks it would be nigh on impossible to find out what's happening in my industry in regard to doing things right. I didn't know a lot about how they operated but i did know they were big on guidance notes and i wanted them. It is simple as that and to be honest i am delighted i did as i feel it allowed us to start on the right foot from the outset and didn't have too many problems trying to break bad habits.

I am also a member of the sccr but did it for a few different reasons. Firstly when it was first raised there was a blaze of posters willing to lend a hand and put in their input but when the crunch came one man had to attend a meeting on his jack jones which annoyed me to say the least and with the time and effort he put in i felt he deserved a bit of support. I also felt that if there was a change to be made in my industry i wanted to be close to it and see how it would affect me and my wee operation. I don't see it as being any different from a haulier being a member of the fta and the rha.

I have noticed from a couple of your posts you are undecided and far be it from me to influence one of the few who want to dig a bit before signing up for anything but for me if nothing else ragscaff is by far the hardest working man i have ever met and for that alone i feel he is worthy of anyone's support. Granted, it does go a bit deeper than that but that is my opinion anyway.

so you an information member or a full member aom. I am still undesided and have said on a few post i am but also said i would support it and finally managed to do it when my new card came threw. And like you have said ragscaff works hard his constantly posting and along with what you say would be nice to si back in 40 years time and know i may of had an infulance on the way that the sccr ends up. So still undicided but the memberships up and running

I don't think you will regret it. I am a full member of the nasc and proud of it.

Id like to nominate AOM back to the sccr committee as vice chairman. Dico PR manager, Swifty H&S, and bring Ken Cain Back.

Please dont nominate myself due to personal reasons I am unavailable. All the best with the voting guys.

Regards

Steve.

Nominations for the new committee start as from tomorrow & run till the 10th April.

There is a new committee structure so check out the SCCR web site & look under the correspondence page.

Please send nominations to the sccr@sky.com.

SQ

Id like to nominate AOM back to the sccr committee as vice chairman. Dico PR manager, Swifty H&S, and bring Ken Cain Back.

Please dont nominate myself due to personal reasons I am unavailable. All the best with the voting guys.

Regards

Steve.

All excellent nominations Steve but I fear I wouldn't have the time or the drive to do it justice. As I said, I really just want to put them up.

Top Bottom