Scaffolders Study Group

Scaff
Thanks for your positive response mate.

As you have stated, you are a 'File hoarder'. In the Scaffolders 'Study Group' we are trying to aid fellow Scaffs with a interest in further Training, Higher Education and we have guys currently undertaking NEBOSH and Scaffold estimating courses.

We at the 'Study Group' would be honoured if you would consider joining us, and if your time would allow it, accept a role in the 'Coaches Mentors wanted' thread,from there you would be able to share your files on a need basis.

Regards
Paddy

Paddy & Scaff

Firstly, I totally agree with you the Trainee Scaffolders must have the opportunity to developer their Portfolio to encompass all Types of System Scaffolds and Traditional Scaffold Structures, however, how can we make this come about ?. I flagged up the " Brickie " scenario as a warning to beware of the devaluing of our Industry.

How can we deliver Training to our Fellow Scaffolder with out added expense ?---I do not know of any other Disapline who have to pay out for the right to work---

Garry

I concur m8, you are now going to hear a repetitive statement from me, that has been voiced many times, i apologise Garry but this is me.

The British Army is the best in the world, not just my opinion, it is a fact. Why?

The fact is, the British Army recieve the best training in the world.

Any potential recruit (trainee) what ever there chosen career path i.e. Chef, Clerk, Medic etc,etc has to start there training as a 'Basic infantry Soldier' and from this benchmark advance through the myriad of available courses, to achieve, and then advance through there own 'Personal Development' choice to the status they require.

In my opinion, why does the ,CSCS, CISRS,Construction skills college, not adopt this system, instead of the current 'Horses for Courses' sham thats appertaining, notice i have not mentioned NASC, better not in case i get barred from this forum

Paddy

the main basis of any training is within the governing bodies. Unless the HSE & the NASC back the scaffolders in the real world the Industry is going to die. Trying to get a trainee on site without all the red tape for scaffolders is getting harder. We have to have hats gloves glasses harneses etc. Yet other trades seem to get away with murder. When site agents give respect to chargehands gang leaders etc then we may be able to bring new blood threw. On a sort term view dinosaurs like me might be worth a fortune over the next few years!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But that won't help the Industry!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Paddy M8

Absolutely NO apoligise required my Friend---you have made a logical and achievable observation---the Training of Scaffolders cannot be diluted into two weeks---let us not forget that it is to the credit of the on-the-job Training delivered by veteran Scaffs that REALLY Trains the Novices---if we did not have the good will of these seasoned Scaffold Erectors there would be little to no Training available.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Ragscaff

Your right what is going to happen when we Dinasoirs leave for the eternal tea shak in the sky ?---why cant Government allocate Mentors/Coaches to Trainees ?---I dont want to harp on about the good old days BUT SGB Trained the Improvers a lot better that the CITB/NASC---lets get back to basics---but nae F£cker in Government wants to know---they have passed it on to Industry to regulate the Training and they'r making a fortune out of the Lads---F$ckin gets on my tits---

Ragscaff

I am also one of those Dinosaurs m8, However my son is working with me as well, he completed the full 2 year Apprenticeship, the new guys are more 'Clued up on tech info' regarding scaffolding. however us dinosaurs are the one's to lead by example.

The new scaffolder, also has a lot to teach the 'Dinosaur' mainly H&S, WAHR, COSHH and Addendums to SG 4:05 TG 20:08

I for one, will listen to the fully trained kids and adhere there knowledge.

Never to old to learn.

Then i will make the little sh1ts graft, while the Dinosaur has a fag, lol

Paddy M8

Absolutely NO apoligise required my Friend---you have made a logical and achievable observation---the Training of Scaffolders cannot be diluted into two weeks---let us not forget that it is to the credit of the on-the-job Training delivered by veteran Scaffs that REALLY Trains the Novices---if we did not have the good will of these seasoned Scaffold Erectors there would be little to no Training available.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Ragscaff

Your right what is going to happen when we Dinasoirs leave for the eternal tea shak in the sky ?---why cant Government allocate Mentors/Coaches to Trainees ?---I dont want to harp on about the good old days BUT SGB Trained the Improvers a lot better that the CITB/NASC---lets get back to basics---but nae F£cker in Government wants to know---they have passed it on to Industry to regulate the Training and they'r making a fortune out of the Lads---F$ckin gets on my tits---

yet we put time into youngsters we are sacked for slowing the job down Great progress you c***ts:eek::nuts::push:

Ragscaff
you are right mate, if we try to train, we are costing the company, if we do not train, we are failing in our commitment to aid a fellow scaff.

Why do we bother?

I bother, because i have a passion for the kids that want to learn, even though they are a System (layher) company that are trying to take over our Franchise.

That is the avenue i have went down yesterday and today, these lads have done the 2 year to get 'System scaffolder' on a card.

No dis-respect to the guys, however, they 'Walk like a duck, look like a duck, but some training provider hasnt give the lads a 'QUACK'

Paddy

I bother cause I'm sad. I still love it. The new challenge is to get onwe over on the site agent due to brickies or ground workers f**king around with the scaffold. PULL THE TAG LADS PULL THE TAG.

What ever happend to the good old double in the back of the head to speed up a trainee??????????? Now they give them hard hats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ragscaff

I have been in this scaffolding 'Malarkey' for 32 years now mate.

I kid you not guys, this forum has opened my eyes to the commitment, that some of these Scaffs, want to further there career, if i could help or with the assistance of the 'scaffolder ' study group, aid any of these guys in any way to expand there current knowledge, i would sleep heartily.

" We cant do this job" Bring on the UK scaffs.

Paddy

Paddy M8

Well said M8---I bother cause I have Ferris and non-ferric blood cells in my veins and I was always tought to support a Bro Scaff when called upon to do so---if I can assist one Scaff in need then my job is done---

Why do we bother?

Because if some sods back in the mists of time hadn't bothered with us we'd still be erectin crap that would get someone killed, so in return the burden now rests with us to make sure the new young lads (& lasses) do the job the right way.

The new breed may have easier access to more techical info than we did at the same stage but us old gits can still read as well so we should still be ahead as far as applying that knowledge in a practical sense.

Stef

Very well put---if nae body bothered their arse where would we be the day eh---sittin in a f£ckin cave somewhere rubbin twa sticks the gither---chase the Peril of wisdom...

Stef

well said m8,
as you have identified, we were taught in the 'old school' method. you fecked up, you got the clip.

In my opinion, the new age trainee, is a guy for the upcoming leadership of their own choice, i.e. Confidence,competence knowledge which in turn can only enhance there reputation, but why or why should the shortfall in basic scaffolding op's be accredited to " we never learned that bit because it was a Friday and the Tutor fancied a sharp one?

Hope i never get sacked, as after this forum, i dont think i could ever get a start again,lol.

Paddy

Bring back apprentiships the is no substitute for experience,over the course of the 2 yrs training given to the raw young bloods,is invaluble,this as well as collage theory will give them all of the correct tools to carry on the scaffolding tradition in the right way,that way practically they are trained right by older good hands,also learning the value of old fashioned commen sense,which sadly seems to be lacking nowadays.3 wks site work 1 wks collage per month would suit all concerned well i think.

past experience

Although i have not been with the site long, I am looking forward to sharing work experiences and training with other people I think this site is good for scaffolders who take pride in their jobs and wish to either learn or pass on wisdom and so on. my company has only just started to introduce the new safety guidelines on us which i believe replaces sg4 its now tg20 any feedback would be good

hemper

Wellcome to the Site M8, aye, the S.G. Series of Documents pertain to the Safety Guidance i.e. Fall Prevention Prevention Equipment and Procedures, ect... The T.G. Series of Documents relate to the Technical Guidance i.e. the Design of Scaffold Structures, Engineering Calculations, ect...

What is your Firm's Work Scope ?---Tube and Fittings and or System ?

Do you know there the term hempiny out comes from ???;)

past experience

my company does mainly tube and fitting but on the odd occasion will do various system scaffolds as well. It was only introduced to us a couple of days ago and as you can imagine the supervisors are coming down on us with this but failing to explain the ins and outs of it all. I guess tool box talks are out the window on my firm

Hi, just joined today. Having read through many of the posts I feel a little bit of a fraud as I do not actually 'get my hands dirty' like most of you. My link to scaffolding is in the development of a safety tag/checklist system which I've already posted about elsewhere so won't bore you all with the details again here.

One thing I haven't seen reference to yet (I probably haven't looked hard enough) is another site I signed up with today - thought it would probably be of interest to many on this forum?

Get Britain Building - Home

Get Britain Building is the UK's biggest ever coalition of companies and organisations associated with the built environment and have some strong campaign material on their website.

Top Bottom