Remember these fittings ?

We were still using the captain cooks at cecol in 92 and the pin joints. I agree bout the mills swivel. I hate mills's fittings. And I always hated sticky willies and band and plate. Poor sgb lads !

Nothing wrong with rapovers, but the mills question marks are a pain.

westbrook scaff

Use loads of fanny clips in the boilers to clamp straight on to the boiler tubes

Red Viking

"Why are they a pain....... " (Mills Swivels)

They will only swivel (turn) on one side...

If you fix the swivel side to the standard the "other" side will not turn

You can always tell a Mill's trained man whenever he picks up a swivel he turns it to check which side turns before fixing

Red Viking

"Why are they a pain....... " (Mills Swivels)

They will only swivel (turn) on one side...

If you fix the swivel side to the standard the "other" side will not turn

You can always tell a Mill's trained man whenever he picks up a swivel he turns it to check which side turns before fixing

No I don't agree mate (unless I have my wires crossed ) I spent some time on GKN and when I pick up a mills swiv up I check the inside as one part of the inner is mushroom /rounded (this goes to the standard) and the other side inner is has a more flat squared of edge which goes to the brace .

we used to use the shiny galv one to hang alloy RSJ's at roof level for painters cradles, but Ive never seen the pink and orange Pacman one before, anyone know what it is?

we used to use the shiny galv one to hang alloy RSJ's at roof level for painters cradles, but Ive never seen the pink and orange Pacman one before, anyone know what it is?

Never come across it mate, looks like a SK swivel, or summit:eek: Garry Adams will probably know.

We had similar ones years ago wi Abscaff when we wre doing the cradles off of alloy beams. Came in 2 halves with one bolt to hold them together and the tube slid through the hole and then put a check each side.

---------- Post added at 04:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

Nothing wrong with rapovers, but the mills question marks are a pain.

westbrook scaff

Looks like somebody looked at the question mark and invented the limpet, how clever is that?

Last edited:
my guvnor still has some of these bad boys, when the shed is getting low you always get them out

god knows how many i have tried to loose in the past

No I don't agree mate (unless I have my wires crossed ) I spent some time on GKN and when I pick up a mills swiv up I check the inside as one part of the inner is mushroom /rounded (this goes to the standard) and the other side inner is has a more flat squared of edge which goes to the brace .

Exactly right mate, bevelled side to standard, plus it was always an idea to have the bottom Mills's swivel with the bolt topside so you could reach it easier when stripping the job.

love B+P for cantilevers an saddles, the SGB beam clamp could be used singly unlike Gravlok which have to be used in pairs

Didnt there used to be a firm called "no bolts "( i think ) and they used fittings with wedges

Ah mate, some proper old classics there, lol.

Only just started using Mills doubles again - can come in handy i suppose.
Aint seen a wrap-over or fanny clip in years, or a DH either for that matter.

HATE sticky willies (thats what she said too!), only good for check fittings.

Top Bottom