Opportunities in Canada

Finished my exams yesterday.. we had to do..

7 written tests.. proper aswell no cheating allowed...

cantilever under compression
cantilever under tension
heavy duty ramp
3 lift hanger
hanger using guy wires to counter hanger weight ( seperate to 3 lift hanger )
tower
confined space
fall arrset

you need 70% in each test to pass, and **** do they check it all..lol.. all gotta be built to canadian code..

Without doing the course, there is no way you would pass... all the codes are different to ours and they use the wedge clamp instead of our fittings, apart from the hanger, thats done with our gear, although the fittings are 1/2"

Good thing though is you get carded up for TSS aswell ( total system scaffold ) so your not doing a seperate course for every system going...

Just thought I'd let you know whats required out here for anyone thinking of emmigrating..... its a pain doing the course, but really enjoyed it actually.

that sounds a bit full on i must say. Where did you do it? I did whole apprenticeship in Alberta and wasn't that full on. Did you have to build all those scaffolds you mentioned, or simply do the math for them?

that sounds a bit full on i must say. Where did you do it? I did whole apprenticeship in Alberta and wasn't that full on. Did you have to build all those scaffolds you mentioned, or simply do the math for them?

You have to build them all and do the math for each job, theres also knots. bowline, rolling hitch, clove hitch,figure 8, sheet bend, reef knot and they gotta be tied fast ( no hesitation ) you get 2 hours each job to build them. The tests are very strict, checked over like an official audit, everything built 100% to CSA code. after the graduation you are then assigned a status.. ie. 2nd 2nd etc... by the union. all through the course you are being assessed, we built a load of stuff. ie bridges, shores, great course, the instructor glen chaisson is very knowledgable and a good laugh aswell.

Well congrats.... As I said I did all my apprenticeship in Alberta, and it was not that hardcore. Good work! So what did you finsih up as, Jman, apprentice #? Now head to Ft. McMurray and hook onto some shutdowns and make a killin'! I'll be back there the spring i imagine!

i was given J/M status bud.

I start work tomorrow for sancton doing some hangers over a river in Digby...

Right on mate... Where do you come from originally then? And yea have you joined the local union or? If ya lookin fer big bucks, Alberta's where its at!

Right on mate... Where do you come from originally then? And yea have you joined the local union or? If ya lookin fer big bucks, Alberta's where its at!

from sheffield mate, local 83.. dont fancy west though just now..

Right on bud. I'm from Newfoundland, living in Sweden now, tho still rock back to Alberta couple times a year fer shutters. You have any connections on this side of the pond then? Or in Oz, hear anything about whats goin on down there these days? I have a 417 working holiday visa but am unsure if i wanna rock all that distance, not hook anything decent and end up workin in city fer peanuts. Know anything?

there was a couple of newfies on my course mate, don't know about Oz, Uk is ok but you would need our cards to work there... Sweden ? **** knows, its expensive there hey ...

lol.... yea anywhere theres work goin on you'll usually find some newfies. Sweden yea can get expensive... like eating out and drinking in bars. Other then that its comapable to Canada. I would rate it comparable to Canada regardless, tipping not expected here so balances out the drinking and eating out. Most other things here I reckon are same... well as western Canada/ cities anyway. Living east coast Canada, things are lil better priced. Its all relative to the wages you make. Still up in the air about Oz... gonna call the hall there on Monday and see whats up.

lol.... yea anywhere theres work goin on you'll usually find some newfies. Sweden yea can get expensive... like eating out and drinking in bars. Other then that its comapable to Canada. I would rate it comparable to Canada regardless, tipping not expected here so balances out the drinking and eating out. Most other things here I reckon are same... well as western Canada/ cities anyway. Living east coast Canada, things are lil better priced. Its all relative to the wages you make. Still up in the air about Oz... gonna call the hall there on Monday and see whats up.

Good luck mate, think the Oz card is pretty easy to do.. think of me at 7am tomorrow swinging under a highway bridge..lol...

Well done on passing. It sounds a real course and assessment. the Oz one is like the UK just turn up and your a scaff!!

yeh, to be honest mate it surprised me. it was really pass or fail.. the training here in canada is way ahead of anything I've done in the UK, it was really good, even had to study at nite to pass... I agree in the UK it seems you just have to have the money and you get the cards.. shame really, no pride in that. they do a graduation ceremony and make a really big deal of it out here, very good actually.. 1st time I've ever graduated with honours..lol..

yea good that ya got such quality training mate. BUT........ there are places in Canada too where you could prob show up, have the money and bang yer a scaffolder. If you ever go to Alberta to work, you'll find LOTS!!!!!! of guys who simply bought their ticket, or were "designated" a scaffolder because they are visible minority, that'll piss ya off. AND........... those type guys usually end up your foreman. Out east competition for work is stronger so yea you'll come across good scaffolders and training will be lil more stringent. West its all about numbers.... more members more union dues coming in, not hard to figure out!

Hi am a scaff from scotland with over 20 years experience in petrochem industry and would love to work and live in canada more details please

Hi mate I'm looking for work in Canada can u send me some info on this to ta mate

Top Bottom