Opinions on drill or spanner

You can't twirl them on your finger so they're no good ,I've been turning a spanner for nearly 33 years and have no trouble with wrists or what ever

In the future can we expect reports and claims for vibration white finger, RSI etc, from the use of IW's?
I have never used one but would like to give it a go. Are the heavy to carry?

The tec data puts s max use of approx 3hrs continuous use but obviously you dont reach that in a day & a 90 db theyre within the range for not needing earplugs - weight is 1.7kg biut with a decent pounch after a while you dont really notice it - none of my boys have complained or shown any sighns of whitefinger

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

You can't twirl them on your finger so they're no good ,I've been turning a spanner for nearly 33 years and have no trouble with wrists or what ever

Ooh yes you can lolo just like the quickdraw cowboys lolo-One of the luck ones then m8 ...all of us olderscaffs carry some form if inlury through years of carrying. Etc ...so anything that makes my life easier gets ithe thumbs up from me

Last edited:
We have lanyards as we found out early its not dropping them but they have been known to slip out of your holster on the odd occastion although tbh i think we solved that with better made holsters.
As for ease of access i think theyre a bonus if you were able to swing a spanner in it u'd ptob do it with the drill- with the exception of 1 inside brd baseouts as it doesnt fit between the tube & wall, but most of the places where u'd only get a 1/4turn is now just a squeeze of the trigger - remember these IWs are not a replacement for a spanner, but an addition to it....i may still need the spanner once or twice during a normal day.
Also i dont think u'd be able to use them in any area where the spark from the brushes in the motor could cause s problem

Last edited:
I have been using a spanner for well over 30 years and my wrist , neck , elbows are relly starting to feel it now , iam going to get a IW anything that will help has got to be a bonus
i can imagine doing a gantry with all the doubles involved or a birdcage these IW will be the dogs nuts , another thing they will be great for is doing up the tops of sheeting clips
( always a bi tch )
Some lads just seem scared of change i think , i remember a lqd jcking once because he was told he couldn't wear trainers anymore :laugh:, remember when they brought in the double handrails lads moaning there nuts of about how the games fu cked :laugh: then the harness came into use Jesus Christ you would have thought the world had come to an end IW will just become the norm in the future , this games hard enough so anything that makes it easier gets my vote ;)

I have been using a spanner for well over 30 years and my wrist , neck , elbows are relly starting to feel it now , iam going to get a IW anything that will help has got to be a bonus
i can imagine doing a gantry with all the doubles involved or a birdcage these IW will be the dogs nuts , another thing they will be great for is doing up the tops of sheeting clips
( always a bi tch )
Some lads just seem scared of change i think , i remember a lqd jcking once because he was told he couldn't wear trainers anymore :laugh:, remember when they brought in the double handrails lads moaning there nuts of about how the games fu cked :laugh: then the harness came into use Jesus Christ you would have thought the world had come to an end IW will just become the norm in the future , this games hard enough so anything that makes it easier gets my vote ;)
They are proper with sheeting clips so easy

Thats what I thought Phillio.
Though out of courtesy I only use the wrench for stripping if other scaffs dont have them. Which brings us back to the first question.
It can be a right tw@t to use the spanner after a gang has erected it using wrenches.:eek:

I always find striking a job thats been up a while hard work anyway , especially on a building site the fittings almost seem welded to the tubes

If its mostly site work, the wrench is a must.
I was critical myself until I first used one, I stripped a full 4 lift loading bay in less than an hour myself and you know what amount of tube is used in one of them these days.
No aches or pains at the end of the day either.
Ideal for us, should I say 'SEASONED SCAFFS'.

it does make sense john , but a lightweight battery powered spanner or ratchet would make even more sense , hopefully some manufacturer somewhere will realise this.

if not , i'll use my winnings from chelt and see what i can do , maybe dragons den...

Last edited:
There's three types of people that won't use an I.W.

(1) Those who's RAMS won't allow it.
(2) Those who are too tight to buy one.
(3) Those who haven't used one and don't realise how much quicker and easier it is.

there are 3 types of people who will use an IW

1. fat *****
2.lazy *****
3. people who want to look like a joiner.. so must be a ****...

there are 3 types of people who will use an IW

1. fat *****
2.lazy *****
3. people who want to look like a joiner.. so must be a ****...

4. Those who want to earn more.
5. Those who want to extend their working life.

Last edited:
Why don't we just draw a line under this debate if you want an impact wrench then get one if not stay old school with the spanner your choice I'm happy with my makita if you don't want one who gives a f u c k !!!

3 Types of Scaff, and i was those 3 after 3o years of using a 'Spanner'.
1). Eeh WTF is a IW, daft Cents.
2). Might google that Makita BTW251, just for a laugh and look.
3).Dogs dangly bits these Toys, :love::love::love:

Currently banned from erecting at my place of work, due to 'Scaremongering' however, this could be a double edged Sword. Imagine me buying a Torque wrench and inviting our Safety officer, to accompany me on a random torque test of any fitting he desires from a 'Spanner or IW'. :eek

Does it even matter? if u think u have to have a ruffty tuffty image then stick with yer spanner nobody's forcing u to swap, but any one with half a brain can see the. Benefits of using one !!!

I always find striking a job thats been up a while hard work anyway , especially on a building site the fittings almost seem welded to the tubes

My spanner is one of those big heavy handled fcukers & with 16st swinging off the end of it i cant win - they moan the fitting are too tight with or without the use of the mac lolo:

Phil - those last big shores we did had over 7k DCs in ....fcuk doin them all with a spanner lolo...wiggles r a bitch whatever u use lolo

Last edited:
Top Bottom