Offshore are you ready to support

Working Time Meeting - Glasgow 19th January
Members are advised that the first of a series of meetings regarding the WTD ruling and how we respond to this outrageous decision will commence in Glasgow on Thursday 19th January 2012.

Further meetings will be held in Newcastle in February, Aberdeen in March, Inverness in April, the outcome of all these meetings will then be discussed at the RMT/OILC conference to be held in Dundee May 2012 where a decision will be taken to which course of action if any will be taken by the members.

All members are advised that reasonable travel expenses to these meetings will be considered by the branch if you want to attend, please contact the Branch Secretary on 01224 210118 or via email in advance of your attendance so this can be authorised.

Also we are trying to arrange for General Secretary Bob Crow to be in attendance for some of these meetings, we will advise members through our usual communications of this.

Regards

Offshore Energy Branch Secretary

MEETING TO BE HELD ON 19th January at 1.30pm

Premier Travel Inn- George Square, 187 George Street

1 minute walk from Glasgow Queen Street Station

Answer the question what companies have taken the holidays off the lads ??????
RBG / salamis / cape (scaffold companies)

Last edited:
its not the contracting companies YET,the stewards and stewardesses are the ones who have been denied as have the drilling lads.
the general feeling is that the oil companies will try and take it away from the contractors.Im sure apache have fecked the lads for 2 weeks already if not then they did try. :mad:

Attention All Offshore Scaffolders

If you want to read about the position of RMT/OILC on this matter i enclose the link to the latest edition of Blowout just released yesterday. Also i attach a link to comments made by members as regards this matter which should give you a view to the strength of feeling.

And finally i would like to add my own comment to all the people who contributed in this thread about working offshore who are saying offshore workers don't deserve holidays and they do nothing.

I would say to them how would you like to work 42 hours a week 52 weeks of the year which is the "minimum" total amount of hours for a full year period? that does not include travel time, that does not include training courses while on your leave, and that doesn't include the other 12hrs that you are in your bed off shift and also you don't get no bank holidays, no premium rate on any job, and the list could go on, also you have to factor in the time spent away from families while everyone else has time with theirs. I also have to disagree with some peoples view that the salaries are good, in reality if you worked the 84 hours a week on a blue book site you would be earning a damm site more than you would offshore. That,s just my view, i would value any of the lads comments to my points.

Regards

http://www.oilc.org/blowout_83_dec_2011.pdf

Attention All Offshore Scaffolders

If you want to read about the position of RMT/OILC on this matter i enclose the link to the latest edition of Blowout just released yesterday. Also i attach a link to comments made by members as regards this matter which should give you a view to the strength of feeling.

And finally i would like to add my own comment to all the people who contributed in this thread about working offshore who are saying offshore workers don't deserve holidays and they do nothing.

I would say to them how would you like to work 42 hours a week 52 weeks of the year which is the "minimum" total amount of hours for a full year period? that does not include travel time, that does not include training courses while on your leave, and that doesn't include the other 12hrs that you are in your bed off shift and also you don't get no bank holidays, no premium rate on any job, and the list could go on, also you have to factor in the time spent away from families while everyone else has time with theirs. I also have to disagree with some peoples view that the salaries are good, in reality if you worked the 84 hours a week on a blue book site you would be earning a damm site more than you would offshore. That,s just my view, i would value any of the lads comments to my points.

Regards

http://www.oilc.org/blowout_83_dec_2011.pdf

Jake you are preaching to the converted on here scaffs mostly stick together. It's the other offshore trades that will let you down. The staff working direct for the oil companies will be unaffected by this as they had 4 weeks holiday prior to any contractor getting it.

Ian

I am a core crew scaff and I can assure you if the lads lose their holiday entitlement I will hit the cobbles with them . And before anyone has a go I got my core crew position through a bit of luck and being astute at my job . I am off the opinion that everyone working offshore should be entitled to 2 and 3 .The fact of the matter is there is a glut of manpower so any strike would struggle to gain support and there is to many greedy buggers out there who would not down tools . I 2 bagged it for years and may have to do so again so I will not turn my back on my fellow workers .

Jake
Firstly I am a union member but not the oilc and am very active but reading your comments about scaffolder's offshore and onshore and working away from there family's could not be further from the truth on a blue book site you are expected to work 7 10/12 hours a day 7 days a week and return home once a month for a long weekend. Therefore I would request you choose your wording a little better if you want onshore scaffolders to back your quest for good working conditions.
Remember if the northsea goes out it might be a good idea to get the power stations and refinarys out at the sometime ?

Vice Chair

I am not Jake Molloy. And frankly Vice Chair of the Oil and Gas sector,which union do you belong to? and what are they going to do about it ? I think it is evidently clear what we intend to do or are trying to achieve. And as regards your comments on the blue book, i fully understand what you are saying regarding this, but i may well add that premium rate, bank holidays, 5.6 weeks leave, lodging allowance, radius etc,etc, are contained within the blue book, and you can also relax after work by going for a pint, or doing whatever you want, unlike offshore where you are stuck on a ticking time bomb,which could go wrong at any time.

Regards

Offshore Energy Branch

Good morning OLIC
By your tone your looking to pick a fight ?
As for me being the vice chairman oil and gas for the SCCR we are not a union and have no plans to be ! Please click onto the link and see what the SCCR is about.
Blue book jobs, your quote about going home and getting a pint at the end of the day is a every poor defence ? Ticking time bomb I will agree with you there but the people that work offshore have chosen that job just like when you join the forces in this day and age
And finally let me tell you I am in full support of having sit ins/ walking out on reffinairys of the said oil companies when the time come !!!!
If you feel agreved by my question you can PM me and I will give you my number ?????

I am not Jake Molloy. And frankly Vice Chair of the Oil and Gas sector,which union do you belong to? and what are they going to do about it ? I think it is evidently clear what we intend to do or are trying to achieve. And as regards your comments on the blue book, i fully understand what you are saying regarding this, but i may well add that premium rate, bank holidays, 5.6 weeks leave, lodging allowance, radius etc,etc, are contained within the blue book, and you can also relax after work by going for a pint, or doing whatever you want, unlike offshore where you are stuck on a ticking time bomb,which could go wrong at any time.

Regards

Offshore Energy Branch

1st Question.. Mr Oilc.rmt.secretary....Have you ever worked offshore or on any Blue Book agreement sites in the U.K.??

Lads I have had a very good phone call for the oilc sec in regards to this post and beleave me this man is from the tools and only wants the best for the workers ! I will let the man answer the questions.
Welcome to the forum OILC

Worked offshore between 1977 thru to 1996 not inclusive tho sometimes out of work. If I add up the time worked approx 13 years, hook ups, refurb and maint. Hook ups were sound and good crack along with refurb projects loads of scaffs on them projects over 200 on many a job. Maint done my head right in same old faces at crew change same old same old boring for me, other guys liked it. I worked 21/10 in the early days and then 2/2 after we and the unions won that battle, some you win and some you loose. I remember my first start offshore 1977 getting 60 sovs a day for a 12 hour shift + OT on top = 75 sovs tax free. How good was that well ill tell ya coz I was working on the streets in sunny mancs pulling my b****x out 7 days a week for a days wage offshore after tax and NI. I wasnt pulling my b****x out offshore I can assure you.

On the holiday. You would always ask your B2B to do 3/1 then you would do the same for him. That way no loss of wonga and you got your 2 weeks in the sun somwhere and a bit of rest either side. If your B2B didnt want to do it there was always someone on your shift that would do it. The company you worked for didnt give a s**t either as long as they had the bodies accounted for...win win situation all round.

As stated early in this post the first of these meetings will take place in Glasgow19th this week if there is any Scaffs out there who might be attending this meeting can you spread the word to any other trades you work next to and encourage them to attend this meeting.
All none members are welcome and can enrol on the day we have to make this one count and keep the pressure on the oil tycoons they are getting $100 + a barrel so lets get some ideas on the table

in the 70s the majority of men offshore decided to go on strike (not for more money)but for same status as the Norwegian guys ,at the time we where on paid home leave for two weeks on one off ,needless to say it was a no goer ,men who had never been offshore before where getting shipped over to Norway and sent on the rigs ,never in my life had we experienced anything ;like that ,in the end after a couple of months we had to go back, tail between our legs , thats when everything changed we where told we where going on two on two off , and no home leave pay take or leave it

1.30PM - Premier Travel Inn- George Square, 187 George Street
1 minute walk from Glasgow Queen Street Station

Top Bottom