New apprenticeship scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basiclly this lad has had 6 months in the yard and is eager as f*** to go out and learn but he has only just gained his 18th birthday , so now he can go out into the big wide world and learn , its up to his scaffolder to give him the round of f***s and me to make sure he isnt picking up any bad habits as we all have.
This is a shame when his assessor is praising them and then the senior instructor is pulling them down. This is all the meaning about apprenticeship. To start at the bottom and work upwards. Not fall at the first hurdle.
I'll speak further with him tomorrow and ask the next candidate to video the evidence to be posted on the forum for all to see.
Yes in some aspects we all started off having the fitting thrown back at us if they didnt work when we was labourers ect: but this is a clear case of bullying and that is not on.. I hope the relevent people are watching cos trust me IM WATCHING ALSO WITH INTREST.
This is NOT the way to learn these kids......try respect it gets you alot further in life.....

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

havent got a clue on that 1......

FFS Steve, that makes a change normally every post i read on the forum is slagging of the training scheme for being to soft. You can't have it both ways. Personnally i am pleased to see that at least one school is going to instill some discipline into the trainees. The cheeky funking bed wetters where probably playing the teacher up and needed straightening up by the senior instructor throwing some funks into them - welcome to the real world boys. then he comes tail between his legs crying in your bussom. Ah bless him! there is 2 sides to every coin.

Steve PM me with the college and i'll definitaly send my ill disciplined work shy apprenticeships there for a dose of reality.

All the trainees that have been treated rough make great scaffs its the way it is and always will be, they will treat their trainee the same way its a cycle.

So if your dad hits your mum, you will then beat your wife ? Don't talk sh*t

All trainees should be treated with respect.Some members comments on here are bang out of order. How are we going to get the best people into the industry and move forward like this?

First time on here, joined after seeing the forum on me mates phone during the day inwork..

But givr them respect, have you seen some of these young lads not a care in the world and donmt give 2 flyin f@@ks about anyone or anything.

I had to sent one back the yard last week cause of his attitude, to be treated with respect then I say respect those first and you will b in return respected

All trainees should be treated with respect.Some members comments on here are bang out of order. How are we going to get the best people into the industry and move forward like this?
Respect is earned, its not a right. we don't know the instructors version of events so we don't knows if what Steve Gregory is saying is true. He's not willing to name the college or instructor. It's another load of one sided b@ll@cks.

A good mix of stick and carrot is currently working better for us than any amount of tough love. The young team need to be encouraged which I feel we do but they are in no doubt who the gaffer is either.

I know everyone has to earn each others respect.The point i am trying to make is think back to when you was young. I donot know the evidence with regards the trainee,but a little word in his ear seems to work for me.

I know everyone has to earn each others respect.The point i am trying to make is think back to when you was young. I donot know the evidence with regards the trainee,but a little word in his ear seems to work for me.

Well, being screamed and shouted out constantly - until I got it right, worked for me ok.

Scaffolding is a hard, sometimes brutal, contact sport. It's not for pussies mate.

If a young lad starting out in the game can't handle a few harsh words in his ear hole then maybe he should look at an alternative career.

That's the reality of it.

Last edited:
I do think back to when I started out, and fik doesn't even begin to describe it, how the older ones never threw me off a roof I'll never know. One thing I do know is I would dive in head first and get to the hardest side of a lift or just lift it myself as I knew I was fik and the only way I could contribute was to do the grunt. Now they are too busy texting the chic or asking maw what's for tea or worse, standing with their finger up their nose wondering what the hell is going on, the light in the head doesn't come on till you put in the last rail.

I get your point though instructor and wholeheartedly agree, you have to encourage them and their shortcoming are but a reflection on how I taught them. Mistakes have been made in the past but I think we are starting to get somewhere now.:cool:

Let's have a reality check here, I have had parents on the phone to me telling me their sons are getting a hard time at work. When I investigate it's because the first chance they get to toss it off they will. There is no way on this earth I would have the patience to instruct a class of apprentices in scaffold, mark my words. A bit of boot camp does no one no harm, he should be lucky they are not giving him dead arms, cow bites and tagging him off like it was when me and all my mates where learning. Wake up or should I say man up.

The thing is you are just not allowed to do this type of thing anymore and if OFSTED were to be informed that this is how apprentices are being abused then the centre could possibly loose their accreditation.

The reason I have not named the centre is because I am not willing to be sued. As previously stated I have some more lads going soon and I will be having words with them prior to them going. They both have decent phones to video with so they will be told to video any abuse and then it will be posted for all to see.. Also being forwarded to relevent departments....Were here to encourage not slate them....

The reason I have not named the centre is because I am not willing to be sued. As previously stated I have some more lads going soon and I will be having words with them prior to them going. They both have decent phones to video with so they will be told to video any abuse and then it will be posted for all to see.. Also being forwarded to relevent departments....Were here to encourage not slate them....
If what you are saying is true you have no need to be worried about being sued. I take it you have contacted the training centre and the lads apprentice officer to check that he's not feeding you a load of bullsh1t? On the other hand if your still willing to send lads to this training centre he can't have been treated that badly.

The thing is you are just not allowed to do this type of thing anymore and if OFSTED were to be informed that this is how apprentices are being abused then the centre could possibly loose their accreditation.

If it was me i would be taking statements, writing to the centre and carrying out an investigation. Once i had done that i would post it all on here. I would have kept my gunpowder dry on this as it could all be one sided.

" I take it you have contacted the training centre and the lads apprentice officer to check that he's not feeding you a load of bullsh1t"

Of corse im on with this but as the scheme is goverment paid for trying to find out how im fixing for swapping centres due to this reason as the funding has already be released to that centre for there training..

" I take it you have contacted the training centre and the lads apprentice officer to check that he's not feeding you a load of bullsh1t"

Of corse im on with this but as the scheme is goverment paid for trying to find out how im fixing for swapping centres due to this reason as the funding has already be released to that centre for there training..

Just ask his AO and he will be able to swop.

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Just ask his AO and he will be able to swop.

come back to us all though to let us know if he excels somewhere else.

Perhaps if Steve Gregory had more confidence in what he's saying he would have done this. For someone worried about being sued you would think he'd have kept his plans to video someone without consent to himself. I suspect the young lad has had a ticking off that is now being blown out of proportion. Or it could all be complete b@ll@cks!

abuse,bullying of young or old is not on in any enviroment,but steve theres generally two sides to every tale id get both sides of the tale before letting rip mate,not saying so but your lads may have been playing up.you have to be armed with the facts.

Perhaps if Steve Gregory had more confidence in what he's saying he would have done this. For someone worried about being sued you would think he'd have kept his plans to video someone without consent to himself. I suspect the young lad has had a ticking off that is now being blown out of proportion. Or it could all be complete b@ll@cks!

moderator pleeeeeeeease

whatever Tony"carnt reveal his proper name like the rest of us so id sooner hide."B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom