Members

Paddy
On the ball again Paddy,
Sorry to join this one late, just back from the Chelsea Stoke game :)

There seems to be lots of momentum at the moment in lots of areas, some kind of organisation is required so as not to lose the momentum and risk dilution of the subjects.

If I can help in any way I am more than happy to offer my services in my particular field.

Paddy/All
If the Forum has no objections I would like to offer my services to the commitee in whatever capacity that you feel fit :) free of charge of course!!!

Paddy/Garry

This is a great idea, I think the established bodies in our business have become distant to what is really happening on the "Coal Face"

I would therefore offer my services to the Committee in what ever field I can be of most use.

Cheers

Paul

I would like to thank:-

Garry Adams
Scaff
Paul (PW)

For offering their time and services, to the idea of forming a committee, to try and gain recognition and consultation rights, for this one and only forum of Scaffolders.

This is your forum guys, we all say at times, "Which plonker thought up that Regulation" "What do those tossers know about scaffolding".

Well guys, this could be the start of a committee, to represent your views, so if you are interested, let us know your views. If you feel you would like to be on the committee, let us know.

Regards
Paddy

Well if you need someone to laugh at on this committee or to go an get the tea's then i suppose I can be counted on as a volunteer.
Never let it be said I let others fight my battles or think my thoughts for me

Stef
Thanks for the speedy response mate, if you hadnt of volunteered you would have been 'Pressganged mate; there is still a couple more that might get a nudge with a 5ft if they dont volunteer ;)

welcome aboard mate, I take my Tea ;Shirley Temple, White and sweet:bigsmile:

Stef
Thanks for the speedy response mate, if you hadnt of volunteered you would have been 'Pressganged mate; there is still a couple more that might get a nudge with a 5ft if they dont volunteer ;)

welcome aboard mate, I take my Tea ;Shirley Temple, White and sweet:bigsmile:

I thought yours was more "in a pint glass with a head on top" LOL

Bro Scaffs

Salutations for those who have already nailed their colours to the mast, for those who are still contemplating, WHAT are you waiting for :wondering:

From small acorns ;)---it's not the size of the Dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Dog :cool:

Would like to be involved in some capacity myself if i was still in uk,commuting from here could be a pain especially when the suns on my back,i can always be counted on to have an opinion or suggestion if required,or if a large order of contraband tabs was needed i could make an exception and jump on the iron bird,would be great to faces to all of the members,and sink a few cheeky ones,deal me in will try my best..;) ill be carrying a straw donkey..

Last edited:
Thanks Daz m8

It,s us that is coming to yours mate, for our meetings in sunny Espana, Get your lass to get the Paella on and a Vat or Two of Sangria :D

We will be the ones with the knotted hankies on our heads, Union Jack shorts and socks and Sandals on.

Welcome aboard Mate, i am sure a lot could be accomplished as Committee Private conference messages, and from there a set of minutes could be posted on the Forum, just a thought.

Anybodies views would be appreciated.

Regards
Paddy

Nice one Daz and tinheads
good to see you want to stand up and be counted for your fellow scaffs

Dont know how much I can bring to this but Il help in any way possible.Well done great idea.

NEXT STEPS
I realise there is still potential for further volunteers for the proposed Committee, to try and gain a foothold within the 'Consultation' process for legislation,Guidance notes and Approved codes of practice.

The following members have volunteered to be this forums representatives, regarding a 'True voice' of the 'Scaffolders forum' (nearly 700 members):-

Paddy Carr
Garry Adams
Scaff
PW (Paul)
Tinheads (Stef)
Daz
Digsie

I ask this Forum, if there are any objections, to any named individual, endeavouring to get us a collective proposal, of 'worker involvement' to relay their concerns, to either us, or if confidentiality required through SF admin.

Within the next week, i hope we can have the Committee formed and structured, and with the help of SF admin and yourselves, channel our thoughts, to our 'Strategy' for to implement our course of action.

Sincerely

Paddy

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

A committee is a group of people who take on the responsibility of managing a community group, voluntary organisation, charity, trust or social enterprise. Since Voluntary Sector organisations, as we would class all of the above, have a range of different legal structures (e.g. Registered Charities, Companies Limited by Guarantee, Unincorporated Organisations), committees can be described in different ways as follows:

•Board of Trustees (Registered Charity)
•Board of Directors (Company Limited by Guarantee)
•Committee / Management Committee (Unincorporated Organisation)
Whatever structure an organisation or group has, all committees have certain responsibilities in common. It is these common responsibilities we will outline in this guide.

How do committees work?
Committees are normally made up of between three and twelve people, and should meet regularly to make decisions about the direction of the organisation or group. It is possible to have more than twelve people on a committee, but the more people you have round the table, the more difficult it can become to reach agreement on decisions.

The committee is responsible for making sure that the organisation sticks to its aims and objectives as detailed in the Constitution (see the Constitution Information Leaflet). As committees have overall responsibility for the management of an organisation's affairs, committee members can face personal liability should things go wrong. That is why it is important to meet regularly and make sure that the correct information comes to meetings so that committee members can make informed decisions.

To summarise then, being on a committee involves:

•Having a shared sense of purpose (following aims & objectives)
•Providing direction and leadership
•Taking collective responsibility
•Dealing with compliance issues (e.g. Registered Charities must follow Charity Law requirements)
•Being accountable to stakeholders (e.g. members, funders, service users, the wider community)
For new organisations and groups, this can seem like a daunting list! However, being a committee member can add lots of additional skills and experience to your CV, as well as strengthening skills you already have. This is the case whether you are involved with a very small, volunteer-only group such as a local gala committee or if you are on the Board of a large service-providing charity employing staff and managing premises - you may gain/strengthen experience and skills in a range of areas including:

•Project management
•Budgeting/Financial management
•Fundraising
•Negotiation
•Communication
•Employment Law
•Organising events
•Community engagement
•Advocacy and networking
All committees need people with a mixture of skills to be able to meet their responsibilities. Many people choose to get involved because they want to give something back to their local community or support a good cause as well as recognising that committee work can bring benefits to the individual.

What makes a good committee?

Many of us know of examples of committees that don't work. These are committees where meetings drag on and no actions are agreed, committee members do not take part in discussion or are discouraged from doing so, personal differences make it difficult to focus on the business at hand and so on. To work well, committees rely on the following:

•Members who understand their responsibilities and role
•Having the right mixture of skills, abilities and experience around the table
•Commitment to the role and the aims and objectives of the organisation or group
•Having a sense of purpose which translates into leadership
•An understanding of the boundaries between overall direction and day-to-day management (for organisations with staff)
Often committees form with the aim of making something happen in their local area or community; members have a clear sense of purpose and a list of jobs to be done. However, as the organisation develops and new people become involved, committees sometimes forget to take a step back every now and again and check whether or not they are meeting the requirements listed above. CVS Fife can help any committee which is interested in reviewing its activities. We can deliver refresher sessions for experienced Boards on roles and responsibilities, with specific reference to Charity Law requirements where appropriate. We can also deliver sessions for new committees looking to get to grips with their role. Please contact us for further information.

What makes a good committee member?
Now that we've covered what is required from the whole committee, it's time to think about what is needed from individual committee members. A good committee member:

•Commits to preparing for and attending meetings
•Has a good understanding of the organisation, what it does and how it does it
•Is not afraid to ask questions
•Agrees to stick to the majority decision
•Supports fellow committee members and staff
•Acts as an advocate for the organisation
Most of the things covered in the above list may seem very obvious, but many existing committees find that if they honestly assess themselves against this list then there are usually some areas for improvement. For example, if you are a committee or Board member, have a look at the statements below. Which one is closest to where you are?:

•I always arrive on time for meetings, having read all the papers and considered any questions I want to raise. I also make sure that any action points assigned to me at the last meeting have been progressed
•I usually rush in for the meeting just as it's about to start. I print off the papers but don't always have time to read them beforehand. I'm involved in a few committees or I have lots of work/family commitments and it can be difficult to keep up with the committee work
In all honesty, most committee members are likely to fall somewhere in between these two categories. This is another good reason for committees to stop what they are doing every now and again and take part in a review session as described in the previous section. By doing this, you can identify any problem areas before they grow. Committee members sometimes need some support to help them stay involved, and it's usually much easier to provide this support than to have to recruit a new committee member.

Roles within a committee
As well as having general committee member positions, most committees also have Office Bearer positions which come with specific responsibilities. The most common Office Bearer positions are:

•Chair
•Treasurer
•Secretary
Some organisations will choose to have additional positions such as Vice-Chair - the Constitution will provide guidance on this (see Constitutions information leaflet).

Main duties of the Chair
The Chairperson of an organisation has three main elements to his/her remit as follows:

•Assisting with the managerial direction of the organisation
•Planning and running meetings
•Acting as spokesperson/figurehead
The way that these three areas of responsibility break down into individual tasks will depend a bit on the organisation. For example, in small, volunteer-only organisations, the committee tends to be responsible not only for setting the direction but also for carrying out much of the work. In this type of organisation, the Chairperson will probably manage things on a day-to-day basis. However, in a larger organisation with staff, the Chair's role will be to support the Manager, not to get involved in day-to-day work.

If you are looking to recruit a new Chairperson, consider pulling together a Role Profile (a bit like a job description) if you do not already have one. You can use the headings above to structure the role profile, thinking of the individual tasks that have to be carried out under each one. It is always easier to recruit someone if you can be clear what the role responsibilities are. For further help with Role Profiles, contact CVS Fife.

Main duties of the Treasurer
The Treasurer also has three main areas of responsibility:

•Keeping an overview of the finances of the organisation
•Reporting into committee meetings
•Making sure the organisation has the right financial policies and procedures in place
Again, the exact duties will vary depending on whether or not the organisation employs staff. In addition, if an organisation is a Registered Charity or a Company (or both), it will have to comply with specific financial regulations which will have a bearing on the treasurer's role.

Good management of finances is vital to the smooth running of the organisation. However, it is important to remember that while the Treasurer has a specific role within the committee in relation to money matters, the overall responsibility for financial management lies with the whole committee. Therefore, a key part of the Treasurer's role involves reporting to the committee on finances and it is important that everyone around the table understands the financial information given.

Main duties of the Secretary

The Secretary's main responsibilities are:

•Supporting the administration of the organisation
•Facilitating and supporting committee meetings
In small, volunteer-only groups, the Secretary's role is often crucial as he/she will probably have to deal with most of the paperwork. In larger organisations with Company status, the Company Secretary is a formal position with specific legal responsibilities in relation to liaising with Companies House. For nearly all organisations, the Secretary also has specific duties in relation to notifying members about Annual General Meetings (see AGMs information leaflet).

And Finally
Your constitution will give guidance as to who is eligible to stand for membership of the committee It is important for all committees to be thinking about how they will attract new members on an ongoing basis; as mentioned above, there can be lots of benefits to the individual in getting involved. Many organisations now advertise, using local newspapers and community websites, when looking to recruit.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

If the forum members agree, of this as a 'General Consensus' we will open a Committee thread witin the social groups within the community section, for appraisal and feedback.

Committee

As of 20.00hrs 14.03.10

There have been no objections to date regarding:-
Paddy Carr
Garry Adams
Scaff
PW (Paul)
Tinheads (Stef)
Daz (Amigo)
Digsie

We the above mentioned, are now going to form a committee, to represent the 'True voice' of the Scaffolding community, regarding the 'Right of consultation' within this SF Forum. To the hierarchy of policy makers.

I would cordialy invite SF admin, if they would like to take a seat on this Committee, in any role they are accustomed or comfortable with.

We will need time to organise the Committee strata, and open up a 'new contacts' group, in order to try and achieve not our 'Aims' but the consensus of opinion of the SF, which is YOU' Guys at the pointy end.

Yours sincerely
Paddy and the proposed Committee

I know I am a bit late, but been working away. If I can be of any help then happy to be involved:bigsmile:

As of 20.00hrs 14.03.10

There have been no objections to date regarding:-
Paddy Carr
Garry Adams
Scaff
PW (Paul)
Tinheads (Stef)
Daz (Amigo)
Digsie

We the above mentioned, are now going to form a committee, to represent the 'True voice' of the Scaffolding community, regarding the 'Right of consultation' within this SF Forum. To the hierarchy of policy makers.

I would cordialy invite SF admin, if they would like to take a seat on this Committee, in any role they are accustomed or comfortable with.

We will need time to organise the Committee strata, and open up a 'new contacts' group, in order to try and achieve not our 'Aims' but the consensus of opinion of the SF, which is YOU' Guys at the pointy end.

Yours sincerely
Paddy and the proposed Committee

Seconded

Ragscaff
You are welcome my friend.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

As of any Committee, there needs to be a Chairperson,vice chair and secretary, i would like the SF members to propose a Chair,vice chair and secretary, and a secondment from a additional member/s

The following persons are eligible for any role, with approval of the Scaffolders forum:-
Paddy Carr
Garry Adams
Scaff
Paul (PW)
Tinheads (STEF)
Daz (With the hard hat sombrero,lol)
Digsie
Ragscaff

Regards
Paddy

Top Bottom