Job adverts

Shut the fuc.k up streetboy...lol... are you one of the lying ******** who puts 56 back and fronts up before dinner ?? blink1: and don't tell me what topics I can post about... you ever been offshore nob ?? you'd probably fail the medical. working offshore is harsh, I'm not saying its a toss off, its like most commercial jobs.. if you work in this sector you would know what I'm on about.... just stick to doing your 16ft independants mate...
I know more than you think about offshore actually but won't waste my time explaining once I start getting insulting comments like this, I will not bring myself down to this level.

Fair enough Daffy mate. Im sorry that your all knackered and ill atm.
I agree that not all Bosses are w@nkers... some are, but these ones seem to give the rest a bad name.

1 rotten Tomato can ruin a whole Salad.

I just dont agree with offering a job for a rate that the people offering it would NOT work for.

I know more than you think about offshore actually but won't waste my time explaining once I start getting insulting comments like this, I will not bring myself down to this level.

Well, don't start quoting my posts mate, then there won't be any reason to argue will there... don't mind one quote... but two's taking the p.iss lol

Thats a fair point.
But to your success story, how many have done the same as you did, only to be laid off, after they made the efforts you did and instead of it being a happy ending, end up a total disaster?

Lots, id guess.

Yes, possibly because in the early days I have been on my arse that I learned to not 'smoke cigars' every time we earned something, and made sure we put a bit away for times like this, but there is a limit.A couple of bad years and we maybe having to sack everybody and close the doors. I have to admit that in the early days we have had times when we couldn't pay wages,the bank won't lend and you have nothing in your personal account, the taxman and hire company looking for money.We had to lay off good lads then.Realistically,if there's no money then your fucked.I have seen some good genuine companies go under in this way for no fault of their own apart from running out of money.It happens, it's business,and life, and some good scaffs lose their jobs I'm afraid, and we are in one of the most volatile industries for this sort of thing.I must be honest, these guys who go bust one day and start up the next piss me off, I don't believe in it.After this long, if it ever happened to us, that's me, I would never start again.
My prediction with all this **** that is happening with the euro and the banks at the moment will not improve in the near future, and we may be talking about £10 hr as norm two yrs from now.sorry for the doom and gloom on this one, but as I said if the money's not there, it aint gonna get paid, and if none of us accept this and go on the dole, then that will run out as there will be no taxes to pay for the dole.Vicious circle I'm afraid .

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Well, don't start quoting my posts mate, then there won't be any reason to argue will there... don't mind one quote... but two's taking the p.iss lol

whatever

Yes, possibly because in the early days I have been on my arse that I learned to not 'smoke cigars' every time we earned something, and made sure we put a bit away for times like this, but there is a limit.A couple of bad years and we maybe having to sack everybody and close the doors. I have to admit that in the early days we have had times when we couldn't pay wages,the bank won't lend and you have nothing in your personal account, the taxman and hire company looking for money.We had to lay off good lads then.Realistically,if there's no money then your fucked.I have seen some good genuine companies go under in this way for no fault of their own apart from running out of money.It happens, it's business,and life, and some good scaffs lose their jobs I'm afraid, and we are in one of the most volatile industries for this sort of thing.I must be honest, these guys who go bust one day and start up the next piss me off, I don't believe in it.After this long, if it ever happened to us, that's me, I would never start again.
My prediction with all this **** that is happening with the euro and the banks at the moment will not improve in the near future, and we may be talking about £10 hr as norm two yrs from now.sorry for the doom and gloom on this one, but as I said if the money's not there, it aint gonna get paid, and if none of us accept this and go on the dole, then that will run out as there will be no taxes to pay for the dole.Vicious circle I'm afraid .

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

whatever

well I tried ..... LMFAO...

As demonstrated in this thread, members have differing views on what jobs are worthy of being posted on the forum.

Personally I don't get the whole mentality of criticising every job posted when you have already got a job. If you are not interested in it, then simply move on.

Surely market forces dictate rates being offered, simply supply and demand. Make hay whilst the sun shines during the good times and grind it out in the tough times?

People need to bear in mind the circumstances people might find themselves in and their location can make a huge difference as well.

If you can get a good wage then good on you!

A favorite is "we want an all in price " no extras no extra hire no matter how long your gear is tied up for i refuse to price these jobs as i know companys that have lost big money on them , it is a fine juggling act some weeks to get everything paid and stay in business

At SGB we were instructed never to touch a lump sum/all in price and i have walked away from many a site meeting when the client has stated this is what he wants, these prices are stacked in the main contractors favour and the scaffolding contractor has little or no chance of making any profit at all

Scaffolders SHOULD be on £1000 a week as a Minimum for 6 days anyway, tbh.
We bust our balls and destroy our bodies on a daily basis to make sure that other trades like Bricklayers and Roofers (who earns as much as we do) can work.

Not too mention risk OUR lives.

No Scaffolding = No Construction Industry.
No Scaffolding = No Industrial Work.
No Scaffolding = No Engineering Projects.

£12 an hour?
We should be paid £20 an hour at the very least.

Not really sure risking your life comes into it any more Jason. Maybe 25 years ago that was true.
Here scaffolders have to have a High Risk Work Licence but with all the safety procedures. EWPs and fall arrest gear available its actually a Low Risk job these days.
Some of us old boys will remeber working in adidas trainers, fingers so stained from the oil on the fittings that yer bird didnt like you putting them up her,working on one board or none, bombing, throwing and all those things that made scaffolding a proper job done by men who didnt take sh** from anyone.
Sorry son but the young generation have turned a once proud job into a laughing stock throughout the world.
Take me back to the good old days please.

I see what your saying... its only been the last 8 or so years when Health and Safety in Scaffolding has gone crazy over the top, if you ask me.

I still had a few years of Trainers and Shorts at work, and bombing. ;)

Is it the 'younger generations' fault, when WE ARE MADE to wear all this crap, they call PPE?
No PPE = No Work, on almost every site now...

Is it not the 'older generations' who, left site and moved into the office (Managing or Safety side) that not only they encouraged the huge rise in the Safety culture in Construction, but actively enforced and added more and more to it?

Or am i wrong...
I dont think there was many 20 year old Safety Officers who had a hand at writing the SG:04 and HSE Laws, was there?

Its all old 'ex-Scaffolders' who found a young and potentially massive money maker and they milked it for every penny they could.

Young Scaffolders didnt f.uck the game up.
We can only piss with the c.ock we've got.

Older Scaffolders - who moved into Safety and ripped the b0llocks out of it did.

Not really sure risking your life comes into it any more Jason. Maybe 25 years ago that was true.
Here scaffolders have to have a High Risk Work Licence but with all the safety procedures. EWPs and fall arrest gear available its actually a Low Risk job these days.
Some of us old boys will remeber working in adidas trainers, fingers so stained from the oil on the fittings that yer bird didnt like you putting them up her,working on one board or none, bombing, throwing and all those things that made scaffolding a proper job done by men who didnt take sh** from anyone.
Sorry son but the young generation have turned a once proud job into a laughing stock throughout the world.

Biggest load of bollox I've read for a while that mate...

150ft up in the air no hard hat or harness, bombed the single handrail onto a scrap board then bombed all the boards, walking round the top lift transom to ledger, then got down to the serious business of stripping the hanger, those were the days, people looking at you with admiration of what you were doing and on the quiet hoping that you might slip and hit the deck, its what I got paid for and what I was proud of doing and even proudier to tell anybody who asked me what my job was a scaffolder and a good one to boot

To be fair Cala, thats basically word for word what i was thinking, lol.
I aint had enough beers or in a bad enough mood to start a row yet! :D

Older 'ex-Scaffolders' destroyed Scaffolding by changing the Safety Culture of the game, when they not only become advisor's for the HSE, but when they decided to start and to become part of the NASC - who make the rules regarding Scaffolding...

The modern generation of Scaffolding Safety Advisors, Supervisors and Managers are full of older ex-Scaffolders who used to work a certain way - only to change it, to make millions of pounds, in Safety, Red-Tape, and Bullshiit Laws that ONLY suit the Employer and NOT the Employee.

NOT US YOUNGSTERS, who only try to earn a decent crust off a terribly underpaid, underrespected and over-abused trade.

Yeah them were the days eh? "the good old days" knee deep in **** piss wet through, freezing to death or walking round looking like lobsters. Screaming & shouting at owt that walked past, making as much noise as possible so the whole world & his dog knew we were up there. Nowadays people look at boys like that & think what a knob. Here's the real killer, they used to in those gone by halcyon days as well!
I've worked at height & on & with scaffolding for almost 30 years. Would I go back to those days? Honestly, would I fkuc!!!

Maybe I have ruffled a few ducklings feathers.
Sure years ago a scaffolders life wasnt perfect and we didnt have all the scaff steps, advance guard rails and fall arrest equipment to keep us safe but we just got on with it, earnt good money (certainly more than these jobs on here pay) and had the crack.
We also didnt have computers and internet to moan on all the time.

Alot of the " old boys " will usually be seen in the boozer after work, pissed as *****.... talking about how many 1,000's of metres they put up that day :wacko: saying what a load of **** harnesses and safety is nowadays...
been there and done that bit... not interested it that part anymore, I think most young lads now working for a decent firm realise sefety and see scaffolding as a trade. They want decent money for it and will leave the **** jobs to the boozer brigade...

Alot of the " old boys " will usually be seen in the boozer after work, pissed as *****.... talking about how many 1,000's of metres they put up that day :wacko: saying what a load of **** harnesses and safety is nowadays...
been there and done that bit... not interested it that part anymore, I think most young lads now working for a decent firm realise sefety and see scaffolding as a trade. They want decent money for it and will leave the **** jobs to the boozer brigade...

cala a lot of the old boys like me are in the yard at 06.30am and dont get home until 12 hours later, we dont go to the pub at night [its illigal to drink and drive] and we have tool box talks on ppe equipment, safety, etc and i think you will agree that as we are getting on in years 1,000m a day is beyond our capabilities, last week i had to reprimand one of my older lads for only doing 950m in the day LOL, what is the world coming to i ask myself

Maybe I have ruffled a few ducklings feathers.
Sure years ago a scaffolders life wasnt perfect and we didnt have all the scaff steps, advance guard rails and fall arrest equipment to keep us safe but we just got on with it, earnt good money (certainly more than these jobs on here pay) and had the crack.
We also didnt have computers and internet to moan on all the time.

Who brought those 'systems' out?
Was it the Younger generation???

No... it was the OLDER members who run the NASC - the very same people who used to 'run about with no handrail 400ft up, doing hangers in their pants' and shiite, as you said.

• I dont need an Advanced Guardrail to run a simple handrail in.
  • I dont need an Inetia Block to slide down a dropper and erect a Hanger.
  • I dont need Safety Glasses and Gloves to work in.
  • I dont need Sun Cream on my arms all day just because of a little Sunlight.

IM MADE TO DO THIS BY PEOPLE YOUR AGE.

IM MADE TO DO THIS BY PEOPLE WHO WAS SCAFFOLDING WHEN YOU WAS A 'DUCKLING'.

Im also 30 years old, an rightly earned and fully qualified CISRS Advanced Scaffolder - with several other tickets to my name - all paid for by Myself and all rightly earned.

Certainly no 'trainee' or a 'ducking'.

Your the only who seems to be moaning about the good old days...
Im merely pointing out the facts. :)

Last edited:
Jason,get yer head out of your arse mate,let people reminise about the past and lack off saftey issuses,different era mate...but the same job..scaffs always will be a different breed...thats why we are needed.. your your own safety man mate..im 40 and seen both sides,now i have no choice but to comply with recommendations made by people with little or no experiance of erecting scaffold,,but how id like to go back to the days of thinking for yourself....WE DONT ALL HAVE A DEATHWISH..

Im not arguing with you.
I agree with you.

But i dont understand where people here seem to think that the changes in Health and Safety in this game is down to Younger/Less Experienced Scaffolders...

Its simply not.
Nothing to do with ANY current on-the-tools Scaffolders ---> Everything to do with ex-Scaffolders who work as consultants for the HSE and NASC and those in senior positions in the Scaffolding Firms.
Not the average bloke on the tools.

The fact that in 1974 a Scaffolder would go out on the piss all night, sleep in a pub, wake up and have another beer, then go to work in shorts and trainers, give several people abuse, then run about like a nutter putting almost nothing in a job - just to whack it up and earn MORE beer/coke money is immaterial...

Does that make them better Scaffolders?
Does that make modern Scaffolders shiit???

Like f.uck does it.
No f.ucking way at all are people from the 'good old days' better Scaffolders.

Ive worked with 'good old days' blokes who CANNOT base an 8ft Tower out... FACT!

Its a different generation a different time.
Things are different now and in 5 years will have changed even more to what they are now.

Im getting rather f.ucking sick of the constant slagging off of younger Scaffolders, to be honest. :mad:

Top Bottom