Job adverts

I know I'm WORTH a damn site more than £10 ph mate & I'm getting more than that, BUT when times have been hard I've never seen a queue of people outside our house offering to pay the mortgage.
Tell you what,mate a £10.00ph ...less tax and NI wouldn't even feed us,. never mind pay the mortgage or all the other worldly bills....£10.00ph is a joke.

Last edited:
All scaffolding jobs under £12 p/hour should be banned from the forum.. who agrees ??

It would keep the ********* off....

People out there who think that they are worth £12 per hr need to think of the bigger picture.if you can get £12 or more then good luck , no objection, but bear in mind that out there at the moment, there are less jobs jobs than there are scaffs.Work it out, there is not enough money in the pot to pay big wages these days and we must all tighten our belts. And if you reckon that agencies charge a lot and rip you off, then don't use them, we don't as they normally only supply scafs who are not interested anyway.Look at the strikers last week that were protesting about their pensions.Strike or not, there's not enough money in the pot to pay it at the end of the day, so there's no point in going on strike.We all had good times when the labour lot were in power, earning a lot of money for a good few years when borrowing was getting out of hand. Problem was, the government were squandering what we had in the pot, and not improving for the future.Everyone was borrowing more, thinking that good wages would be able to pay off the interest monthly and it would never end.Problem is it had to, anyone with any logic should have known that, human nature is greedy and we get used to earning good money, irrespective of wether we deserve it or not,and all you striking union guys out there, when it comes to dog eat dog, you're only there for what you can get out of it personally, and don't particularly care what your colleages earn as long as you get your share.It is hard to accept that you may not be as high earning as you used to be, but ask any economist.The money's not there so get used to it, and I agree with a lot on here, If £10hr is all you can get, then it's a lot more dignified than being on the dole and scrounging off the taxpayer.I wonder if Cala would be truthful if he were out of a job, and say wether he would accept a job on less than £12 per hr,or would he just stay on the dole and let someone else pay for his keep, probably a contribution from someone who pays tax on a wage of £10 hr. So whats it to be then Cala would you be a scrounger, or keep your dignity and accept whats going.Whatever it is, don't spread your 'I demand a good wage cos I'm a prima donna scaffolder' crap on here,it doesn't wash with some of us.Maybe you should get the lads from Hertel on the case.Theyre a switched on lot when it comes to this sort of thing.

I tend to agree daffy, good post.

Yeah!! and when they tell you too stick a brush up your ass and clean the floor up at the same time as your putting your wee job up in the pissing rain,working off of wet steel and taking all the shiteee they give you and you don't want to say much just in case you lose your prime job at £10.00ph. C'mon what's this industry coming too. I get the bit about keeping the wolf from the door and all that, been there too over the years ....but I do agree with Cala and Jason here and their valid points....we got to draw the line somewhere.....What do YOU think your worth??

+1

you would get a fine pace going today around the Mull

Couldn't stand on the Mull today Phil let alone sail round it.:eek:

We also have a job a bit further north on the Isle of Mull, recorded wind speed 91mph and it is on one of the worst spots on the island, if that remains intact it will be a miracle but as the ferries weren't sailing today there was no one on site to report any problems so we will have to wait and see what the morning brings but I would imagine a sail in the boat is imminent.

Earn as much money as you can, for as long as you can.
Once its gone, its gone...

Im on Blue Book rates atm and everyday im ringing out for more work, more money, more hours.

Am i greedy?
F.ucking right i am...

Money is EVERYTHING and without it, our already hard lives get all the more difficult.

Do people start up their own Firms for a laugh? for Charity? to lose money?
To be fair, do i even need to answer that?

Would the people offering £10 an hour do THIS JOB for the same money?
Would they work all hours in the pissing snow, rain and cold for £10?
Would they get up at 4am/5am for £10?
Would they spend all day grafting their b0llocks off for £10?
Would they risk their lives, day in day out for £10?

WOULD THEY F.UCK!!!

And THAT is what i think is a total pisstake more then anything.

Although It Sticks In My Throat Daffy I Would Have To Say I Agree With You, In An Ideal World We Would Not Be Having This Conversation But Right Now The Workplace Is As Far From Ideal As I Have Seen It In Thirty Years, Things Are Bad Right Now Gents And The Bosses And The Clients Know It.

Things Are Bad Right Now Gents And The Bosses And The Clients Know It.

That's the crux of the matter Gerscaff.

i put quotes in every day , to get phone calls , emails saying cut your price by 10% or loose it , Diesel is through the roof , insurance goes up with renewal , lorrys need to be upgraded or renewed for the LEZ it is a dog eat dog at the moment and has been for a good few years now , what should we do close down and put the lads on the dole ?

But dont you think that its because people are so desperate for work, that they are willing to work for £10 an hour, is why your also having to scrimp and scrape your way along?

Exact same here Phil, I even have clients ask me to look in to new technologies to make it cheaper and when I ask them what like they go into a tirade of all the investments they have made to stay competitive and I should do the same. Then I go back to the office and read TG20 and SG4:10 and all I can think is you're going to need a drawing for that job which is an extra £1000 and you guessed it I don't get the job.

No One Wants To Work For £10 An Hour Not Doing Our Job Anyway,But Its Not What You (Or Me ) Think We Are Worth But What We Can Get.Im Working For A Local Company Just Now Who Are As Busy As Feck, Why? Cause The Money Aint Great (Its Liveable) But I Have Earned Much More, A Few Other Things As Well But Wages Are The Talking Point Just Now, Its All Right Saying I Wouldnt Work For That (Seen The Day I Said The Same) But Right Now I Dont Think Me Or Anyone Else Can Afford That Luxury.

]This is a quote from Cala in another thread
'I worked offshore 10 years, and if your honest , its an easy job, you decide to work there for ok money, if the companies had to pay you leave money they would just the rate while you were offshore, the moneys ok, so don't see what the big fuss is about really, you get an decent average wage over the year, and as for working 12 hours 7 days a week.... if you've worked offshore you know thats bollox...'
What right have you to come on here and start a thread like this when you have been giving it large on offshore work and admitting that it wasn't hard work. Remember there are a lot of lads on here who have not had the privilege to ever get near that sort of money, so don't start preaching this crap that we should work for less than £12 hr, I have employed plenty of you offshore boys over the last 25 years, and Iv'e not seen a good day's work in any of you yet, sorry to offend any offshore boys who are good scaffs, but these type of comments piss me off. Good street scaffs have never had the best rate and have always had to graft and earn their bonus.When I started I learned the trade in the centre of london on street work, and we used to take a pride in our work and boast how much scaffolding we could erect in a day.It's people like you who give scaffs a bad name. Maybe you should look up the hertel strike thread, they are your kind of people.

But dont you think that its because people are so desperate for work, that they are willing to work for £10 an hour, is why your also having to scrimp and scrape your way along?

No its because of a lot of things Jason to win the work you gotta go in cheap if you want it , i try never to under sell us but if you aint got any work what you going to do , all i hear is " you will have to sharpen your pencil if you want this job" we have had a few this year where we have lost money on , not because of the lads but because the prices are so tight there is no margin for error
A favorite is "we want an all in price " no extras no extra hire no matter how long your gear is tied up for i refuse to price these jobs as i know companys that have lost big money on them , it is a fine juggling act some weeks to get everything paid and stay in business

I have employed plenty of you offshore boys over the last 25 years, and Iv'e not seen a good day's work in any of you yet, sorry to offend any offshore boys who are good scaffs,

What do you consider a 'good days work'?
I mean lets be fair here... if you have employed people, your a Supervisor/Manager, yes?

If so, then you choose to get off the spanners into a nice warm office, because you was sick off tossing it off and wanted to work harder?
If this is the case then i think your talking shiit, Daffy mate.

If you pay someone £85 a day, then you get £85 a day's worth of work out of them.
If you pay someone £150 a day, then you would expect more and rightly so.

But dont offer people shiit money and expect them to bust their balls off, because it aint gonna happen, unless the workers are total c.unts.

Take a look at what I've said, I never said £10 ph was a good rate. It's not it's bollox!!
But if it's all that's available at the time what do you do? Tell them to ram it! & go on the social for a lot fkuking less. Screw that, I'd rather keep busy & earning till something better turns up.
Jason. In answer to your question, yes they would.
Last year as a labourer with c&d at ratcliffe power station I was classed as semi skilled & on £11.25 ph basic. Paid £1000 for my part 1 at the end of the year. When I went back this January with my part 1 ticket in my hand I was told that C&D had restructured their payscale & would only pay advanced & part 2 rates, everybody else would be classed as a labourer on £10.10 ph basic!!! As there was nothing else on the table I took it. Leaving home at 5 am getting home at 6:30 pm, 6-7 days a week in the heat & coal dust + all the other Shiite involved in that line of work. It was the best move I ever made! Because after 3 weeks I got a start on site with capes at the full rate for me of £12.12 ph basic. Got on the night shift & was relief supervisor & nominated person for that which also meant extra money.
As I said at the beginning I think for what we do £10 is bollox but you never know what's around the corner.
It must be my Yorkshire upbringing, but I firmly believe "where there's muck there's brass"

Thats a fair point.
But to your success story, how many have done the same as you did, only to be laid off, after they made the efforts you did and instead of it being a happy ending, end up a total disaster?

Lots, id guess.

]This is a quote from Cala in another thread
'I worked offshore 10 years, and if your honest , its an easy job, you decide to work there for ok money, if the companies had to pay you leave money they would just the rate while you were offshore, the moneys ok, so don't see what the big fuss is about really, you get an decent average wage over the year, and as for working 12 hours 7 days a week.... if you've worked offshore you know thats bollox...'
What right have you to come on here and start a thread like this when you have been giving it large on offshore work and admitting that it wasn't hard work. Remember there are a lot of lads on here who have not had the privilege to ever get near that sort of money, so don't start preaching this crap that we should work for less than £12 hr, I have employed plenty of you offshore boys over the last 25 years, and Iv'e not seen a good day's work in any of you yet, sorry to offend any offshore boys who are good scaffs, but these type of comments piss me off. Good street scaffs have never had the best rate and have always had to graft and earn their bonus.When I started I learned the trade in the centre of london on street work, and we used to take a pride in our work and boast how much scaffolding we could erect in a day.It's people like you who give scaffs a bad name. Maybe you should look up the hertel strike thread, they are your kind of people.

Shut the fuc.k up streetboy...lol... are you one of the lying ******** who puts 56 back and fronts up before dinner ?? blink1: and don't tell me what topics I can post about... you ever been offshore nob ?? you'd probably fail the medical. working offshore is harsh, I'm not saying its a toss off, its like most commercial jobs.. if you work in this sector you would know what I'm on about.... just stick to doing your 16ft independants mate...

believe it or not Jason, I have always worked on the tools,but unfortunately not the last 6 months because of a bit of an unfortunate illness I have at the moment and physically office bound.
I have the respect of every scaff on the firm as I have never asked them to do what I would not do myself. We have do some big temp roofs which I normally design exception of a couple of recent ones, have been the chargehand on all of them, working 10 hrs a day to get the job done and on time.I know there are a lot of bosses out there who are tossers and come to work in new mercs and BMWs but I have never been one.I have sold the family jewels more than once to keep the lads in wages and the firm going, and when we have had good money the lads have earned well and the rest has been invested back into the company or the rainy day piggy bank for hard times like this.We cannot afford to give anyone a wage rise in the near future, and reading phillo, he's bang on.Were all trying to keeps the lads on and stay in business.Our philosophy has always been 'if we lose money we have a problem,if we break even, we haven't got a problem as we have at least lost nothing. For the last 2 yrs we have been the latter, you win some you lose some, but we strive to at least break even at year end.I have had some lads on here for
over 15 yrs , so that must say something.
So don't be so anti establishment, some employers like myself are trying to keep the flag flying, but don't think it's easy cos it sure as hell isn't,and not all bosses are *****,or at least I don't think I'm one anyway.

Thats a fair point.
But to your success story, how many have done the same as you did, only to be laid off, after they made the efforts you did and instead of it being a happy ending, end up a total disaster?

Lots, id guess.

Probably true mate. We all have choices in life that need to be made & some are harder than others. Every man has the right to do what's best for his perticular circumstance & we should respect that choice wether we agree or not. In an ideal world eh????:confused:

Top Bottom