Impact wrench banning by the NASC?

haha, I will have you all Robo Scaffs before the year is out.:laugh:

The only down side at the moment is the dubious claims of the manufacturers about possible torque and how to achieve it. Gary will fill you in far better than I ever could but it has become obvious that the technology just isn't there yet and to get anywhere near the required value every time at a reasonable speed you need to use the one with an advertised bigger rating. Any lower and you are as well whistling at them.

How many times have you seen lads wrap a single and you know that it is not been put on square to the tube, and soon as a board is on it and any vibration that fitting is loose, no great drama i hear............do it with a IW and the Hounds from Hell will be ripping your gizzard out.

After my wee experiment today Paddy I would be going back to your gaffer asking where exactly are their concerns coming from, I just don't understand what the problem is.

Not the Gaffer Alistair its the group H&S Manager, he got a bell from down south about some lads using them. Blanket Ban because they no nothing and that is the easy way out.

Ostrich and sand sptings to mind.
just after the advert.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6EaoPMANQM]I know nothing! - Fawlty Towers - BBC - YouTube[/ame]

It might be me but that is exactly what is wrong with our trade, no one will take advantage of new technology unless their mammy say's it's OK. I take it you are not in a position to educate the man?

I tell him what i do, i educate him on TG20 SG4 but when he gets calls from other regions ............Ban it, hasnt a S cooby, He might need a Bitch soon as he is getting on, and i am nearly a youngun.lol
:sick:

Yeah, go for it Paddy, steps tg20 and no iw FFS and they want everyone to do this till their 70.:eek:

Tell him you will be his bitch them knock the living fcuk out of him.:noworry:

never used a iw on a scaff in my life but change or die,50 newton metres set and twice as quick,,,,,why not try it!

i for one will be trying it out in the next few months,might even put my trial on facebook,twitter,youtube,BBC world service ,,,,,,;)

id try it , but not buy it , said the poet ,without knowing it.

time for my bed ,lol

aom the technology is just not there yet A while back now whilst discussing it with Gary said:
Torque ratchet??:wondering: Drapers. from £82

aom the technology is just not there yet A while back now whilst discussing it with Gary said:
Torque ratchet??:wondering: Drapers. from £82

haha, I meant on the IW's. To achieve the required level you need the one with the bigger advertised setting. Are all the scaffs going to kick about with torque ratchets now?

Mr Scaff, I may have to back track on a lot of what I have posted as I fear you may have been right. Can't see anyone shouting for an outright ban as these tools are just too good but maybe a tool box talk could resolve a lot of the issues until we can get our hands on one that will stop operating at 50NM, not sure how long that would take though.

Sounds like a plan AOM, the risks need to be weighed up. I have not experienced any negatives using the IW but there is a good chance that as scaffs get older repetative strain injurys will occur with wear and tear on the joints. But using IW especially when striking will significantly reduce pressure on shoulder,elbow and wrist joints.

That was always going to be my ace card to play if any questions came my way. We are required to do a health audit to check our activities were not harming the health of any employee and through risk assessment came up with the IW.:cool:

I am maybe a bit more aware now but think everyone should be aware most fitting's I have seen will have been over torqued at some time in their life with or without an IW.

Recieved the 'Internal Memo' on Friday, which contained a Safety alert 2012/01 from Mace????????? which showed a T bolt end sheared off a drop forged double.

The fitting looked like one of those grainy carbon coloured foreign sh1te ones, and apparently had been wrapped with a IW.

As per leaflet, Actions......Check every fitting wrapped with a IW :eek: Feck off daft Cents.

IW not to be used for Tightening Fittings, till conclusion and publication of joint investigation by HSE and NASC,:-0 yawn yawn yawn, still can use them for striking though.

Surely if the fittings are being supplied by Mace products or whoever, they should go to their source supplier first, instead of blaming the IW straight away.

I have had fittings that have snapped and fell to bits years ago, gave them to management for action, and years down the line that piece of evidence is still a paperweight.:mad:

had a fitting a couple of months ago do that just using the owd spanner! Brand new one aswell!

After a hard shift striking a job yesterday that has been up for months my poor old neck and shoulders are throbbing like a good-en i am going to invest in one of these for striking at the very least , just got to invest in some ear plugs , had a chat with a hilti rep and got an account set up a few weeks ago , so just got to decide which one iam gonna buy ,
What are you lads using ?

Good on you Phil you will love it. With all the mystery now surrounding these things I would go for the Hilti on a hire agreement, just to cover you should one exactly fit for purpose come on the market. I actually preffer the Makita but again would recommend the Hilti due the lower torque setting and ease of service or repair, they also have a better connection system for fitting the socket to the drive. Just check with the small print and make sure it doesn't say not to be used for scaffold fittings though as some do depending on the version you get.

Top Bottom