Impact wrench banning by the NASC?

Talking to a manafacturer is pretty pointless as they surely spend a huge sum of money already, contantly trying to engineer down the noise and vibration levels of their products.

As for 'field testing' for use by scaffolders, this has already been carried out for the last 3 years.

Unfortunately Phil I reckon we will only appease some people if we are using a gun that cut's out at 50. Not entirely sure how far away we are from that but reckon the first manufacturer to do it will be onto a winner. Having a maximum of 50nm will be of little use, it will just need to cut out at the required level and then all we have to worry about is sending them away with the pull tester, harnesses and drill to get tested every 6 months.:(

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

not being funny boys but the usa are streets ahead in this,give me a couple of days and will have you loads of info,they have used these with torque settings as in all the southern states hurricane codes mean everything is bolted down and together,knowledge is power ;)

Do the yanks get their fittings from India Joe?

Unfortunately Phil I reckon we will only appease some people if we are using a gun that cut's out at 50. Not entirely sure how far away we are from that but reckon the first manufacturer to do it will be onto a winner. Having a maximum of 50nm will be of little use, it will just need to cut out at the required level and then all we have to worry about is sending them away with the pull tester, harnesses and drill to get tested every 6 months.:(

Yeah maybe mate, but it's doubtful that any manafacturer will spend any real time or effort developing a product for such a small market.

It would also have to be competitively priced against similar products.

I hope your wrong mainly because the potential market can't be that small. Admittedly as usual the scaffs are the first trade to throw obstacles in our own path but other trades that use these things will have the same problem but more than likely gloss over it. Who else uses these things on site, cladders and the like is about all I can think off, lift engineers maybe but surely they will have a recommended torque setting? I think the first one to do it would be quids in but maybe that's why I'm just a dumb scaff.

aom,give you a little taster of whats coming,waiting on a little more info from hilti head office but even though it is corded this is whats coming to the cordless market,

look up norcord digital torque control wrench on amazon from unbeatable sale inc,i used to have one for my pickup,

it runs off a ciggie lighter so you can imagine what the big brands have got ;)

50n/m of force equates to 36.88 pounds to force foot,this produces 250lbs force foot which is 6 times more than needed,hence bolt stripping issues -answer-digital force metres,

these are in most peoples carboot kit in the states.britain needs educating lol !

Last edited:
Can't wait but if the ham shanks have made a gun anyone within a 20 mile radius is going to be in danger.;)

aom/joebag , you two should get something going and corner the soon to be market

i honestly have been saying for a few years now how good it would be to use a battery powered ratchet , are these IW's not big things , if it was smaller would it not be better ?

They are a bit clumsy but there's a few moving parts and a big battery to power it, time and technology will shrink it like most things.

aom/joebag , you two should get something going and corner the soon to be market

i honestly have been saying for a few years now how good it would be to use a battery powered ratchet , are these IW's not big things , if it was smaller would it not be better ?

It would be better but to be honest they are already fairly small and light when you think of the job it has to do.

I have been paying particular attention to the torque of all my fittings lately and each time the spanner hands are consistently using greater force than we are with the guns, and I had to holster the gun a couple of times on the strike as it wasn't up to the job and had to use the trusty spanner. I have said it before but tonight I'm ordering a torque wrench that works backwards to see if I can get some definitive data together because no matter how I look at it I just can't see the problem.

a left handed thread tourge gauge good luck with that ya have more chance finding a glass hammer ;)

Maybe didn't explain myself very well. I meant one you could measure the torque required to loosen a fitting rather than the one's I know off where you set the torque to break at a certain level. Anyone know where I can get one or if one even exists, also needs to come with a calibration certificate.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Forget it, found this.

Torque Gauges , Torque Gauge, Force Gauges, Force Gauge, Leading Suppliers of Force Measurement, Torque Measurement and Tensile Test Systems for Quality Control Testing in Manufacturing | Torque Gauges | Force gauges | Inscale Ltd

Good point Alistair, would an iw set at 50nm release a nut overtightened

No and all mine installed with a spanner are more than the required 50nm but struggling to get a device to confirm.

No and all mine installed with a spanner are more than the required 50nm but struggling to get a device to confirm.

Don’t wish to pish on anyone’s fire but just a thought…..
Would you get an accurate reading from a reverse torque?
Would there be an initial resistance which is not the torque value?
Something similar to pushing a static car, requires a larger effort to get it moving than to keep it going??

I have an old torque wrench here which has a push through locating lug for the socket thus allowing the wrench to be used in two directions but not sure what the answer will tell me

Not a parade Alan so pish away, more a quest to garner enough information to prove what I already suspect and write more pages of RAMS to satisfy any interested party. I must admit to being totally in the dark regarding measuring torque but assumed that actually it is nothing like pushing a static car or the need to use a certain pressure to get that car going is the torque value. Maybe even this simple task will require more effort than I first thought but then again if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Don’t wish to pish on anyone’s fire but just a thought…..
Would you get an accurate reading from a reverse torque?
Would there be an initial resistance which is not the torque value?
Something similar to pushing a static car, requires a larger effort to get it moving than to keep it going??

I have an old torque wrench here which has a push through locating lug for the socket thus allowing the wrench to be used in two directions but not sure what the answer will tell me

Do you know what would give an accurate reading?

Not a parade Alan so pish away, more a quest to garner enough information to prove what I already suspect and write more pages of RAMS to satisfy any interested party. I must admit to being totally in the dark regarding measuring torque but assumed that actually it is nothing like pushing a static car or the need to use a certain pressure to get that car going is the torque value. Maybe even this simple task will require more effort than I first thought but then again if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Do you know what would give an accurate reading?

No real clue, as depicted in my previous comment I am guessing and trying to find a similar scenario.

I have tightened 4 fitting with my torque wrench in the yard overe a period to the max on the wrench and to be honest thats around 220Nm and I am quite a stocky lump. I cant break the fittings I have done up and they dont appear to be any worse for the trouble.

I am however sure you would struggle to apply the same pressure using a 200mm swingover.

I will revisit my TW and see what happens when I try to undo the fittings

220nm is a lot of force, the answer you would get for that one is after continual abuse it will fail eventually. I think it's fair to assume the problem doesn't lye with the wrench but the fittings are piss poor and the wrench is an ideal tool to muddy the water, same as any other claim I have ever been involved with really. In the absence of any other solution I also think it's fair to assume an everyday torque wrench calibrated and fit for purpose should be sufficient for my wee yard experiment and also to fill in my RAMS until further information becomes available.

The things you have to do just to get by.:(

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Alan, I don't suppose you fancy a bash at trying to explain why that initial resistance could or should not be counted as the torque of the fitting? I have been trying to work that one out for a while now and my head is beginning to nip a bit searching the interweb.:(

Top Bottom