impact drill

sinders

Nice one---the Bears are doin it for themselfs---what are the Scaffolding Companies saying about using the I.D's ???.

Garry...

Me & scafftek work for one of the main scaffold firms in the uk the two owners came and had a look at ours which we got from travis Perkins so they bought some from there for some lads @ Manchester branch and I think for lads in Birmingham

redviking

I take it that you Scaftek and your good self work for Lyndon ???

redviking

first Class outfit---they were on the Peterhead Power Station extension a few years, Mr Pendergast was runnin the Job for Lyndon---I was with S/E Yorkshire Scaffolding at the time...

I used a Dewalt DW053K2 cordless impact wrench for site work around 10 yrs ago.
For price work nothing comes close, no superscaff can turn their spanner as quick, it also gives you the extra reach for high lifts.
A battery on price work lasts around a hour but you keep your spares fully charged and one charging in the site office and send the lab to change them over when flat and carry on with the spanner until he returns.
Both Wimpey and Persimmon raised their concerns but where happy enough when they were supplied with the spec and data sheets.
Obviously they couldn't be used in the rain as water would get into the motor and after a year or so you tend to get tennis elbow (vibrating tool)
I don't use mine anymore as the places I've been working lately would require hot work permits or I am on daywork but I would recommend them to anyone on price for town or site work just make sure they don't drop the prices because you are getting it done a lot faster !!

I also use the Dewalt Impact driver (12v), not that heavy, get 2 batteries and charger with it for about 200 quid. Also get a years warranty with it, can get it serviced as many times as you like in that year too. An essential piece of kit if like me you are on price.:blink1: No need for a chuck key 'cause they come with a half inch box already on them so the 21mm bit just clicks on. Really is nothing better on a big strip !

mite have to look into it , save the tennis elbow

Are these practical to use for erecting, or just for stripping ? Having used a battery powered wrench for changing car wheels I can certainly see the benefits for stripping, but not sure about erecting ? By the time you close the gate, level, etc. is it not more practical to use a spanner - unless the lead hand uses a spanner on each individual fitting initially and someone follows up and guns all the fittings tight in one go ?

Hilti offered a remote battery option on their 36V drill (before they changed to lighter lithium batteries) - think this would be the way to go long term. Big, long endurance battery on a waist belt with a short power cord giving a lightweight hand held wrench :bigsmile:

couldnt see them being a long term fix , we have several price gangs , one guy tried it and sung its praises then ya never see em use it again after a week - think was battery reasons

There are several price gangs in South Wales that use these on a daily basis, I would estimate they earn around 20% more a hour than the boys using spanners or they just finish a lot earlier.
I used to use them on timber frames average £120-160 a day with spanner, £150-220 a day with impact wrench (assuming you could get the yard to send you enough gear)
Unbeatable when using bones/readylock.

Last edited:
Just brought one off mac tools for 300 , gonna trial next week , will check out the drill lanyard

Proplant

I worked with a scaffolder who lived by this, yeah it can be very quick, but you got the have a drill holder, the guy used to have about 5 batterys and in a ruck sack, but when you stricking if you leave the impact drill on the fitting, it can take the whole bolt of, and F**K the thread, as well as that, i was doing a lift shaft once with this guy, with a hangover, not good, sounds like a airplane is in your ear, and it was pricy to at £300+, i would use a normal spanner anyday

tidy hilti bit of kit

yo essex proplant wernt that jodie marshs dads firm and kenny l

bkm scaff , frog island scaff ect

tidy old tools , better than air guns ---- what one u got

Top Bottom