help with own wee firm!?!

ScuzzBag, welcome to the forum and good luck with your new venture. There is a gap a mile wide in Dunoon at the moment although a few have tried to corner it but all pretty much struggled as they either refuse to move with the times or give the client what they want. I tipped a load of gear there last night about midnight so that job could go ahead at the swimming pool, and for me that is what is required to be successful in Argyll, you still need tickets and a bit of experience though.

Cheers mate

In Dunoon there's really only a few guys that do it one guy seems to have all the private work, another has all the commercial work and one is just jobbing about.

If we charge what they do we would be delighted with one job a month :D

How bad is the swimming pool roof? You just hiring the gear so they can do it or you setting it all up too?

We work on the ferry to gourock. We know a couple of guys with tickets that do scaffolding with one of the guys on and off. So wanting to ask him if he would work for us while we get our tickets! But as usual. When you wanna see someone they are never about :D

I reckon you need to be a well kent face round these parts to pick up much work, trying to start out with gear first then qualifications next is a recipe for disaster in my humble opinion and we have picked up a fair chunk of graft round there because others were unable to fulfil their promises. People do it, there is one guy round here doing the same as you but he steers clear of erecting it for others, he just hires it out for others to take the risk. Another word of caution would be, are you sure it's cup lok you have? There are many copies and mixing them is a no no and you need additional training in what ever system you do have over and above the basic CISRS card.

I think the swimming pool roof is goosed, we are only contracted to repair what is damaged but they tell me the job could grow arms and legs before too much longer.

Yeah you are right. If your not known you have no chance.

Without being big headed we are quite popular guys so should do ok. We know most of the roofers etc and they've said they would use us for stuff the couldn't do... Although like has been mentioned before on tis thread folk like that want a bargain and aren't really re customer you need...

Pretty sure it's all cuplock stuff. Not had any problems but with no formal training maybe we have and not noticed :D

Although we will be trying to get a whole new set up when we start.

We are gonna do towers first as no one does that here. Not much money in it but not much outlay and hopefully get our name out there we also might get a cherry picker to add to our "access solutions" only one decent one for hire here and that as most things here is a rip off :D

That's not good about the gym. 35 quid a month that costs me... And I can't use it now.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the road will be open tomorrow but the gym may be closed for a few weeks.

Good luck then, pm me your number when you are up and running, we are always running material round there, might have to go again tonight, and it may well be useful if you are hiring out good stuff.

Cheers mate that would be awesome

If you hear of anyone selling any gear in argyll let me know!

Yeah scuzz pm me i have most of the business proposal to hand and can fire stuff over to you by the sounds of it aom will be a great help to you he's in your neck of the wids!

how you all doin :D

Been a while but Im back and finally almost ready to start.

Picking up a defender with a cherry picker on the back tomorrow and gonna start with that and scaffold towers and fingers crossed team up with a mate that already does scaffold....

Alrite scuz. AOM has not posted for a while ,which is a great miss for the forum. Been a while since you last posted. Good luck with your new business.

Best Of Luck Scuzz, Hope Everything Works Out For You , Stay Busy.

Top Bottom