Disgrace

all the coucil are worried about is you dont break the paving slabs half of them aint got a clue what your talking about when you apply , all they ask me in most cases is length and hight and how long its gonna be up

im pretty sure theres something about them checking everything is to a certain standard,before they issue a kerb license,and charge you for the privalidge of putting it there,about £25 a week now,might be different were you are,but thats how it is here.:cool:

thats just the way i have found then numbnuts may well be different here mate, i even had an email from them that said the licence had expired and i must contact them immediately which i did to tell them the job had been struck 2 weeks ago lol : )

another job i went to today.
this was for a new roof so imagine the weight after all the tiles have been taken off

Attachments

• DSC00610.jpg
    DSC00610.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC00620.jpg
    DSC00620.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC00613.jpg
    DSC00613.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
dont think they have heard of ladder beams

Found out today that none of the jobs ever get inspected . . . how are they getting away with this ? . . .

dont think they have heard of ladder beams

Found out today that none of the jobs ever get inspected . . . how are they getting away with this ? . . .

When we had a talk by the local HSE, we brought this subject up, and asked why little appeared to be done against this chaps
He told us that it was down to money, If they took him to court, the fines would be based upon his turnover and profits, and it would not be worth them mounting a case, they would only go for the larger scaffold contractors and especially if they were working for a principal contractor on a major project, thats why the PC is always on your case

Safety at all costs, not even for the HSE!:sad:

When we had a talk by the local HSE, we brought this subject up, and asked why little appeared to be done against this chaps
He told us that it was down to money, If they took him to court, the fines would be based upon his turnover and profits, and it would not be worth them mounting a case, they would only go for the larger scaffold contractors and especially if they were working for a principal contractor on a major project, thats why the PC is always on your case

Safety at all costs, not even for the HSE!:sad:

Strange.
All they have to do is serve an improvement or prohibition notice on the contractor.

was always told that a sleeve is a load bearing fitting and fine to join sway braces in fact i have done designed work with them.they aint no street scaffolders mate high lift put in a single handrail and a dummy lift to work of there braces dont even go to the ledger, who ever sent these mugs to the job needs needs his head looking at.
depending on which type they do. Type a is 3.6 kn and class b is 5kn but thats only in compression when they are used in beam work on the bottom chord [tension] the swl goes out the window but like you say splice em n no one can say jakshit to you!!! hope that helps!!

swl sleeves

richale the figures you quote are for tension their compression value isn't quoted as it depends on the loading conditions eg asleeve in a standard in a 1metre lift would take several ton . before the storm in '87 most big independants had continuous windbraces joined with sleeves but not spliced(legal at the time).when one of the nationals investigsted all the collapses they found a lot of the sleeves had failed so the word went out on the quiet to fit zig zag braces to individual bays. it had to be done on the qt because as every scaffolder knows the swl figures are c@@p how many sleeves have
you tied off as tight as you can and they still rotate

. . . is it ok to sleeve off a 20ft sway brace

Yes it is as long as you splice the joint.[/QUOTE]

was always told that a sleeve is a load bearing fitting and fine to join sway braces in fact i have done designed work with them.they aint no street scaffolders mate high lift put in a single handrail and a dummy lift to work of there braces dont even go to the ledger, who ever sent these mugs to the job needs needs his head looking at.

sleeves do have a load bearing of 3.5 and 5.5 depending on type a or b, but the load weights are scrapped when in tension ie in beam work on bottom chord. Ithink personally that if ur not sure then splice it uing 4 swivs minimum then no one can pull ya. And no scaffolding is meant to be erected like that, idealy all inetermeadiate lifts shold be double on double how do these people sleep at night.Dont think i cud NOD OFF after putting that up!!!

because the council are supposed to make sure the job is to bs5973 or whatever the new code of practic is,before giveing the licence,or it used to be were i live.i once had a job up,a bus hit the job,tried to claim off me,i counter claimed off council for not doing there job right.

another job i went to today.
this was for a new roof so imagine the weight after all the tiles have been taken off

phil181 you shouldnt need to splice the joint as you shouldnt use a sleeve all together, chase the brace, dog legging etc.

philliosmaximus sleeve a load bearing fitting, erm i think not, a double is and been told a swivels is also now, i will find out but im 98% sure its not.

richale again, yeah using 4 swivels minimum for splice is fine, but you shouldnt be splicing a sway brace period.

numbnuts they should issue a pavement licence before you even start the job, and i no if its in london the work near a road, its got to be minimum 18inches away from the road.

kev-c the 2nd picture wouldnt look as bad if the node was maximum of 300mm, not 3ft.

they want enough room for wheelchair access here,must have bigger pavements in london,:D

Yes it is as long as you splice the joint.

phil181 you shouldnt need to splice the joint as you shouldnt use a sleeve all together, chase the brace, dog legging etc.

philliosmaximus sleeve a load bearing fitting, erm i think not, a double is and been told a swivels is also now, i will find out but im 98% sure its not.

richale again, yeah using 4 swivels minimum for splice is fine, but you shouldnt be splicing a sway brace period.

numbnuts they should issue a pavement licence before you even start the job, and i no if its in london the work near a road, its got to be minimum 18inches away from the road.

kev-c the 2nd picture wouldnt look as bad if the node was maximum of 300mm, not 3ft.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect.
By the way, what's the difference between 'chasing the brace' and 'dog legging' ?

they want enough room for wheelchair access here,must have bigger pavements in london,:D

i have based out my fair share of gantry's in london and always 18inch, suppose incase a lorry was to come up the kerb, even though there would still be karnage at 18inch or 1inch.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

phil181Incorrect.
By the way, what's the difference between 'chasing the brace' and 'dog legging' ?

they was different names (examples) eg a double/right angel coupler/barney rubbell.

and so your saying sleeving a sway barace is acceptable, why not just use smaller tube and move swivels.

Do you sleeve sway braces then.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

so a sleeve is a weight barring fitting, so you might as well sleeve your trannys, 2 and 3 ft tube, and braces aswell, a 3 and a 5, and make sure all your handrails, standards, ledges are sleeved in the same bay, i suppose you dont need a spur for 10 board cantileve either, f*ck it, and you can use sleeves on your droppers for your hanger as well.

i have based out my fair share of gantry's in london and always 18inch, suppose incase a lorry was to come up the kerb, even though there would still be karnage at 18inch or 1inch.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

they was different names (examples) eg a double/right angel coupler/barney rubbell.

and so your saying sleeving a sway barace is acceptable, why not just use smaller tube and move swivels.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

so a sleeve is a weight barring fitting, so you might as well sleeve your trannys, 2 and 3 ft tube, and braces aswell, a 3 and a 5, and make sure all your handrails, standards, ledges are sleeved in the same bay, i suppose you dont need a spur for 10 board cantileve either, f*ck it, and you can use sleeves on your droppers for your hanger as well.

I didn't say it was something that I'd do. Was simply stating that it's incorrect to say that it can't be done - and accepted under current guidlines.
Because it can.

Essex
I am afraid you are wrong my friend a sleeve is a load bearing fitting and can be used without splicing its a spigot thet needs splicing, remember there are a lot of older scaffs on this site who never chased sway bracing as you do. You were considered a poof if you didn't sleeve long for sways do you remember band and plate and DH's?

Essex
I am afraid you are wrong my friend a sleeve is a load bearing fitting and can be used without splicing its a spigot thet needs splicing, remember there are a lot of older scaffs on this site who never chased sway bracing as you do. You were considered a poof if you didn't sleeve long for sways do you remember band and plate and DH's?

yeah i have used band and plate, DH's and J botls, ***** clips, years ago in all fairness you could slash up jobs more regular, not as much health and safety, mu uncle was a scaff and only started wearing a harness 5-8 years ago, single handrail 3 trannys to a board etc,

You got to admit though, if you see a job with a sleeved on 8-10+ on a long as a sway brace, you would think, lazy ba*stards or slashers.

True or not

True, and to think i was scaffolding when you were in fluid form makes me think i am an old lazy basta**

Top Bottom