Carded and non carded men !!

GM, you would not believe the calibre of men who are getting advanced today.:laugh:

Suppose they have to have a fair idea though, as opposed to grandfather rights, who were just handed a card..

Yeah they would. Grandfather rights was just away to kick the whole system off without alienating most of the industry.

I agree.

As ive said before... how is it fair ro be given a Card of your choice, in Scaffolding?
My tickets cost me about £10,000 in total, which includes the cost of each course, the assessments, the unpaid time off work and the cost of collating picture and info for each ticket.

Grandfather Rights were handed out like lolly pops back in the day.

Is that fair?
Would you have paid £10,000 20 years ago for your tickets?

Id happily bet on the answer being: NO.

GM, you would not believe the calibre of men who are getting advanced today.:laugh:

They might very well be useless, but they would have to have some clue, like Cala rightly says, passed a 2 week Scaffolding Course (not difficult, i suppose), done the Portfolio, which LOTS of Scaffolders struggle to complete and if they paid for it their-selves - forked out about £3500 in course fees and lost earnings.

I suppose, they MUST be shiite, compared to the old Grandfather Rights brigade who sent off letter, a photo and a 1st class stamp... :rolleyes:

I guess this is an argument that aint gonna change.

Old Scaffolders think youngsters are cocky, lazy and shiite.
Young Scaffolder think the old guys are useless, stubborn and also shiite.

Or am i reading the many many posts wrongly here?

Well I can honestly say Jason you are reading mine wrong. I will need to start at the beginning but I never meant it to be a definitive answer to who was best. The truth is I think a balance is perfect, I learned from older guys and one in particular was not much older than me but did have loads of experience in job's I didn't at the time.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Do me a favour and read my posts again and tell me what you think. If you still feel I'm having a dig I will have no hesitation in apologising to you.

None of us stop learning, i dont think... at anything.

Of all the 'great' Scaffolders who i have worked with almost all of them are 50+ years old.

Maybe the best overall: Eddie Hansel from Middesboro. A very nice old bloke, i cant speak highly enough of the man. Not 1 bad word to say about anyone, always calm, always polite, always on top of things... he comes in, does his job very well and always has time to listen, as well as give advice.

A truly excellent Scaffolder.

He told me, a good while ago: "Ive been doing this job for over 40 years and i still meet young fellas, who show me new and easier ways to do things."

That could well be the best statement to sum up learning Scaffolding, that i could find.

The right young guns who are fresh out of college should be able to teach the dinosaurs a thing or two as things change. As I said, I always ask them to come back and teach us things and as best as I can remember, it has yet to happen but I have to keep ahead of most developments anyway, that's what I'm paid for.

but surely before we had cards etc there was scaffolders still putting up big wonderful great jobs??

and before anyone says anything i know things have moved on!!, but me point is if they were good then with out a card, then they are still good no?

please i am not siding with card or not with card just making a general point

And a good point it is too Clarkey, and I know you know this but cards are going to win every time.

but surely before we had cards etc there was scaffolders still putting up big wonderful great jobs??

and before anyone says anything i know things have moved on!!, but me point is if they were good then with out a card, then they are still good no?

please i am not siding with card or not with card just making a general point

Ofcourse they can be.
Im sure... no, almost certain that there are absolutely pukka Scaffolders without even a bus pass, there simply must be.

A ticket dont make a Scaffolder... it dont make anything.
But, without tickets NOWADAYS, your well and truly f.ucked.

If i never had any cards im almost certain that id have to either work in ASDA's stacking shelfs or work for cash in hand for about £45 a day and there is not a chance in hell im gonna bust my arse for that kind of money.

Tickets are here to make the CITB Millions and Millions of pounds and for Insurance Companies to overcharge Scaffolding Firms without 'qualified' Scaffolders being on their books (more then likely).

Trust me, the way things are going, in 10 years, if that... 5 years time: No ticket = No work.

Most of these men will now be carded I would think..

Trust me, the way things are going, in 10 years, if that... 5 years time: No ticket = No work.
_____

To be perfectly honest Jason, I would have said that 5-10 years ago.

Lets hope no one actually checks it, or wants to send him on a product course.;)

not really sure why that is relevant to anything i said dico but feel free to explain to me.

my opinion scotonour is that just coz you have the relevent trainning set out by cisrs dosent mean you can do the job hope this is a bit more english for you i have to work some days with guys ticketed and my self and others have to cover there work as there no competent!!!! i have no problem with that!!! you get chancers lazy and cant be bothered guys !! i also no guys that can quite happily errect a hanger 20 ft off the ground throw them over a the side of a power station they would freeze i have no problem with lads with no exsperience i would cover them all day but with the ecitb ticket iam bitter and why shouldnt i be mosey your a ****!!!!!!!!!1

fair enough your bitter thats obvious.

But it doesnt change what i said. we all know there are decent guys scaffolding who dont have tickets, but you cant tell who they are by looking at them. at least with a recognised ticket its a starting place.

fair play scotontour iam not one to hold grudges but i think anyone thats had a relevent ticket for 25 years plus warrents a parden as the queen would say lol!!!l ive had a few juices but still no whats right and wrong but hee hoo its england you can do what you want exspecially those in power exspecially if you no the right eric pollard lmfao!!!!

Top Bottom