Carded and non carded men !!

what a complete load of rubish i no men with advanced cards cisrs that wouldnt go on a hanger let alone build one

not really sure why that is relevant to anything i said dico but feel free to explain to me.

Last edited:
In this day and age there is ONE RULE.

No Scaffolding Card = NO JOB.
Its not right, but its how things are and have been for a number of years.

End of story...

Whilst I agree with the card doesn't = a better scaff. I wouldn't agree with the bring back assessed route. Yes it's a bit more hassle doing the part 1 then the part 2 then the assessment but a least you get some proper training. My old gaffer did the assessed route and was **** poor as a scaff, he was the worst man I have ever worked with.

I agree, you could be the dogs.. but without a card.. no one will let you prove it... I think the majority of non card holders are lazy *******.s, who can't be arsed ...

If they are 'great Scaffolders' without cards, overall their attitudes are shiit.

All the arrogance of: "F.uck tickets, i didnt need one in 1978!" is just b0llocks.
This aint the 'good old days' when you was paid cash in the pub and Scaffolders would knock out the Site Agent in the morning and get another start in the afternoon at x2 the money, they was on... this is 2011 and things are different now.
Good Scaff or no, if they think like that, they dont deserve to get a ticket, imo.

Times change, things change and for good or bad all the moaning in the world wont change some things... and we all need to get used to it.
Myself included.

Ive been sniffing about for more PTS and LUL work recently and EVERY firm i rang up asked me the same thing, before i even mentioned about the PTS and LUCAS cards i hold.
They asked me: "Do you have a CISRS Card???"

If id have said: "No." i could be the best Scaffolder in the world and i WILL NOT get the job.

Fair? - No.
Accept it? - Yes, i dont have much choice.

Last edited:
When I was on the tools working in civil construction, petrochem and offshore I never found anything tricky. Its only fixing tubes, fittings and boards.
However I worked with some great scaffs who didnt have a card and some bad ones who did.
As for the assessed route I know people who would never be a scaffolder as long as they had a hole in their a*se who spent the weekends in the pub in Erith and still walked away with a card. When I asked my mate who was an instructor at Erith about this he told me "We have to get them passed the industry is short and the overtime is handy for us".
The NVQ and assessments are probably the best way as long as people actually do the evidence and not just pass off other mens work as theiown.

Have to agree with most of what your saying Spanners, but when a instructor comes out with a comment ( we have to get them passed ) surely this is where the system is all wrong. In my opinion the only way to learn this game is by working with people who have been in the game 20/30 years. Not sat in a classroom for 2 weeks. No wonder its going down hill.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

I agree, you could be the dogs.. but without a card.. no one will let you prove it... I think the majority of non card holders are lazy *******.s, who can't be arsed ...

Couldnt agree more.

20 or 30 years experience dont make things right.
You can do something for 30 years and still do it wrong.

I did a small Temporary Roof the other weekend and i was working with a 58 year old Scaffolder, who has been on the tools for over 35 years (longer then i have been alive) and he couldn't even put the Tin sheets on the right way up. :eek: Let alone build the roof... I had to jump up and show him what to do.

I have been Scaffolding pretty much since i was 17 and im now 30... which is still pretty young for a Scaffolder. I have 13 years under my belt.
Does make me a w@nker???
I dont think so.

What if i work with someone who is 50 and they tell me that they have been doing Scaffolding for 30 years? - But in reality they was building Conservatories for 30 year... how can you tell that he is a liar, UNLESS there is some kind of grading system, like the CISRS system?

Age means nothing.
Attitude, professionalism, a willingness to learn and overall - an ability to adapt makes all the difference.

Honestly, this: "Im old, so i know everything and youngsters are shiite" bullshiit is getting on my nerves now...

Ive worked with some proper useless lazy no-good c.unts who are old and some right top Scaffolders who are young.

Age = F.uck all.

I did a small Temporary Roof the other weekend and i was working with a 58 year old Scaffolder, who has been on the tools for over 35 years (longer then i have been alive) and he couldn't even put the Tin sheets on the right way up. :eek: Let alone build the roof... I had to jump up and show him what to do.

I have been Scaffolding pretty much since i was 17 and im now 30... which is still pretty young for a Scaffolder. I have 13 years under my belt.
Does make me a w@nker???
I dont think so.

What if i work with someone who is 50 and they tell me that they have been doing Scaffolding for 30 years? - But in reality they was building Conservatories for 30 year... how can you tell that he is a liar, UNLESS there is some kind of grading system, like the CISRS system?

Age means nothing.
Attitude, professionalism, a willingness to learn and overall - an ability to adapt makes all the difference.

Honestly, this: "Im old, so i know everything and youngsters are shiite" bullshiit is getting on my nerves now...

Ive worked with some proper useless lazy no-good c.unts who are old and some right top Scaffolders who are young.

Age = F.uck all.

30 with 14 years under my belt so screw you :laugh:

Does make me a w@nker???
I dont think so.

Age means nothing.

Age = F.uck all.

Dont really know what your on about, i like to think ive been taught the right way and i aint a lazy c.unt. Oh by the way i know which way up a tin sheet goes.

Who mentioned you?
Did i? Because i cant see it anywhere in my post...

Im saying in general, Age = Nothing.
Theres shiite old Scaffolders and theres good young Scaffolders and vice-versa.

You can be sh1te and sit on a nice cushdy blue book no. or oilrig doing nothing getting paid decent money with a card or you can graft ur bolls off with no card doing street work till ur 60 full of arthritis with no card the choice is yours

When you put it like that Woodsie, I'll take the cushy blue book or oil rig please.:cool:

It all boils down to insurance,if your carded,your deemed to be competent,if your not carded,and something happens then you wont be covered,that's why most firms wont touch uncarded scaffs:)

i have been in this game 21 years nearly 22 and only 35. so do i come under old & s**t or young and good!!! lol lol lol

Jason, I agree with your point that there should be a record system ie CISRS or similar.

The problem with that is the cards themselves don't mean a thing. They mean someone passed a test/course on a certain day.

You can get 10 people who have passed their driving test but I would say at least two of them will be bad drivers.

who cares. do you have a card to get on the well paid cushdy jobs when ur older or are you gonna be on street work braking ur back for sh1te money?
Dont mean to be offensive but thats why i forked out for all my cards so that i wouldnt have to constantly prove myself by busting a nut,just flash the old card & automatically get a higher rate.
Reply for Clarkey by the way.

who cares. do you have a card to get on the well paid cushdy jobs when ur older or are you gonna be on street work braking ur back for sh1te money?
Dont mean to be offensive but thats why i forked out for all my cards so that i wouldnt have to constantly prove myself by busting a nut,just flash the old card & automatically get a higher rate.
Reply for Clarkey by the way.

woodsie, this is not always the case. if someone came to me for a job and flashed there card they would not automatically get a higher rate, as we all know proof is in the pudding, once i was happy, then good money comes.

it has happen a few times blokes turn up shouting all the odds how great they are & so on, but as we all know they are found out quickly:suspicious:

in all yes you should have your cards but this does't automatically make you a great scaff

how can scaffolding be classed as a trade when you have guys working without no formal qualifications,i for 1 think its fecking great that we have now got to get svq/nvqs because im sick of fecking laggers,joiners,steel erectors, brickies trying to put us down as semi skilled.
Yes there might be guys that are switched on and go like feck with no cards but their days are numbered unless they get ticketed.

The only chance for non discrimination & fair recignition of scaffs is for all operatives to get the relevant CISRS certified cards, join the union & the SCCR.......................... the sooner all these boxs get ticked the sooner we will be united & industry recognition will be acheived untill everyone unites we are pissing in the wind..............................

The SCCR is the only chance / opportunity to question / consult with the mighty NASC if every brother ticked all 3 boxs we would be a formidable force.............but the reality is we all winge ununited........................................................................................

Top Bottom