AGENCY'S shape up or ship out.

Has it really? How much is it do you know? I know it can be paid in The Philippines so might as well claim it.

There is talk of the state pension being 140 pound a week for everyone ,irrespective of what you have paid in .The present system is too complicated

Not in my world mate. I look at the rates being offered by agency's on here and I would say it's 20% higher working direct for a scaffold contractor.

Anyway, it's not my problem, just offering my opinion.

I can only speak from my own experiences but I have never worked away from home through an agency for less than £160 a day and normally quite a bit more.

Thats brilliant. Hope it happens and they bring the claiming age down to 50 to give more jobs for the youngsters.

I agree ! There are winners and losers with it ,the winners are the self employed (agency boys whooping for joy) and mothers who possibly had gaps in contributions .
Losers are people who paid a lot in but won't get it back.
The latest news on this is Cameron is getting cold feet as he does not want to alienate the grey vote,or his posh mates who have contributed extra hoping to get a bigger pension

You may have to live in the country or at least come home first Fred.

My mates uncle came back from S Af. a few years back potless and contributed nillo. got a flat and pension thank u very much GB.

All being well You could be kicking back in the Phillipines on 140 pound a week ,hardly a Rock star life style ,but better than a kick in the ar$e

phil, going back to your post about only the quality scaffs stay in work, an can find work, that is the biggest load of b ull s hit i have ever read!!! you know, an every other scaff knows its all about who you know not how good a scaf you are. example, if a scaff rings up a firm an no1 has heard his name before etc there havnt got a hope in hells chance of getting in! they dont know wether he a good scaff or not coz hes never had a chance to step foot on there site, never mind prove himself!!!! an whos gets all ths starts??? ths supervisors little nephew jimmy or the gaffers son whos been scaffolding 6months!!! thats the way it is an thats the way it will aways be! not saying theres anything wrong with that because you always look after your own 1st! i know loads of good scaffs who have lost jobs etc an been given numbers to ring, but if they dont know u, u dont get in!! been a quality scaff means nothing about getting into work on the good sites!

No, it's not bullsh1t mate, it's an honest opinion based on 20 years scaffolding experience.

Why would any commercial scaffolding contractor choose their employee's based on whether or not they know another employee? I'll tell you the truth mate, scaffolding contractors look for hard working and efficient scaffolders - not old school mates or brother-in-laws of the yard foreman. Like anything, it's always going to give you an advantage if you already know someone, or are connected to someone (why do you think all these people are floating around Linkedin) is that unfair?

It's hardly any suprise that the best scaffolders usually stay in decent work, earning a decent wage, and the less able scaffolders are the same guys who are floating from acency-to-acency, site-to-site, earning crap money.

It's the easiest thing in the world for these people to hide behind excuses such as the ones that you offered. But the truth is, as in any industry or competetive enviroment, the best will succeed, and the weakest and least efficient will be left to mop up the dregs.

If you're any good, people will recognise that and will want to employ you.

Great riposte! (Whoops I mean reply)
You are on good form today !

Great riposte! (Whoops I mean reply)
You are on good form today Phil
(Sent twice by mistake )

Last edited:
Not taking prisoners today, mate...
(Sent twice by mistake )

Last edited:
Does happen, seen it. inlaws and friends.
And did you ever Phil. (take prisoners) not that I can remember.:smile1:

You may have to live in the country or at least come home first Fred.

My mates uncle came back from S Af. a few years back potless and contributed nillo. got a flat and pension thank u very much GB.

Planning a trip in the summer so will put in the child benefit claim then. will have to wait a few more years for the pension.;)

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

All being well You could be kicking back in the Phillipines on 140 pound a week ,hardly a Rock star life style ,but better than a kick in the ar$e

Not a bad lifestyle to be had on 560 quid a month mate. The president only gets paid 860 quid a month.

Does happen, seen it. inlaws and friends.
And did you ever Phil. (take prisoners) not that I can remember.:smile1:

Yeah true, but the best scaffolders will generally always be in a decent job, and the crap scaffolders will get shunted by the inlaws and friends (crap or not)

its always been who you know, not what you know! always has been always will be!!! as for commercial scaffolding what your now stating phil, now thats different, those companys/contractors are alot of the time individual, partner or family owned firms! so its in there interest to want the grafters an men who know the job well, obviously!! the likes of powerstations, offshore,oil refinarys, are where the "who u know, not what u know" comes in! u stated the top scaffs always find the good work, am sorry phil but those are the top paid jobs, u cant earn the money on the street as u can on the powerstations etc, some commercial/street firms pay price where you can earn maybe near the same, but the average wage on street/commercial is not top money, therefore top scaffs are,nt earning the best money. little jimmy the gaffers nephew with 6month exp is earning the top money!!!!

Top Bottom