AGENCY'S shape up or ship out.

Thats very provocative Fred, You been hanging aound with phil for too long mate.

phil, going back to your post about only the quality scaffs stay in work, an can find work, that is the biggest load of b ull s hit i have ever read!!! you know, an every other scaff knows its all about who you know not how good a scaf you are. example, if a scaff rings up a firm an no1 has heard his name before etc there havnt got a hope in hells chance of getting in! they dont know wether he a good scaff or not coz hes never had a chance to step foot on there site, never mind prove himself!!!! an whos gets all ths starts??? ths supervisors little nephew jimmy or the gaffers son whos been scaffolding 6months!!! thats the way it is an thats the way it will aways be! not saying theres anything wrong with that because you always look after your own 1st! i know loads of good scaffs who have lost jobs etc an been given numbers to ring, but if they dont know u, u dont get in!! been a quality scaff means nothing about getting into work on the good sites!

Bang on with that comment Tom,thats the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Good evening gentlemen, I thought I would add some comments from an agency man. As I hail from the dark side I will try and assist with a solution rather than trying to defend our rather patchy reputations:

1 Create an E Petition on the web site called 38degrees demanding the closing of the Umbrella Companies. They are a not-for-profit online lobbying group that gets its voice heard by big government. They were successful recently in reversing the govt's decision on selling off Forestry Commision land to the private sector.

2 Set up a Limited company to engage agency workers using a non for profit sales message. The initial working capital could be created by selling shares to members of the Forum using a micro-finance method. Scaffolders could buy a share in the agency, share decisions, contribute their ideas at the AGM or online at the Forum. No banks would need to lend you any money as you would be in the black from the start.

3 The recent straw poll garnered the fact that lads were equally up for working CIS as PAYE. Therefore you pay all workers as CIS subbies. It keeps all the tax affairs uniform and easy for the agency and agency worker alike. There would be no Umbrella or Payroll company fee. As the method is CIS there would be less overheads for the agency so the agency would still be competitive to the other agencies in the market.

The above would work if you had people behind it who knew what they were doing and had the minerals to take the plunge.

Yep all that seems good until they pay themselves and all other scaffolders £30 an hour.........Leave it to the professionals.

The straw poll was hardly a conclusive collation on the general consensus Mann, there must've been less than twenty in the poll. Don't think you can generalise as to that being indicative of the collective opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom