Carded and non carded men !! (1 Viewer)

Ive found in my time of scaffolding that lads without cards seem to be better than lads with cards ( i could most deffonatly name and shame a few )

Just because you have a card does not make you a good scaffolder in the eyes of your fellow men, but it does make you a competant scaffolder in the eyes of the law, i know its a load of bo11acks but its the law of the land and what they say goes

how long you been in the game keza and why havent you got cards ??
not that it makes a differance to me.
i disagree that the best men dont have cards. if your talking house bashing then it makes little to no differance either way but when you go onto the more technical jobs you wouldnt get through the gate without the appropriate card. But with scaffolding as with every walk of life there are guys with the proper training that are a waste of space.
but if i had to strip a hanger under a rig deck that i didnt build i would rather know it had been constructed by men with cards as opposed to men without cards.

Last edited:
Haha, bring on more young guns like keza. Assessed route! way to go.

Welcome to the forum keza.

I done the Assessed Route back in 03, after 17 years in the game. My dad ( Hi dad ) used to hang up on blokes phoning for a job saying they had a Advanced Ticket.
Times have changed since my Dad started in the late fifties.
I gained my ticket in 03 has since expired in 08, I have not been back to UK since 04. Question I ask is: Can I still update my Gold card still by just doing the Touch Screen Health & safety Test? I have still been scaffolding since leaving the UK and would like to think I would not have start from scratch again.

Agree Keza, I also done the assessed route in 2004, 2 weekends and all expierenced scaffs, given drawings and get on with it. Wish now I actually did the portfolio now! never really needed a card, employed for what you can do, on and off since 1982, and never sacked or laid off, so I count myself lucky.... now shelling out £500 for paperwork and 1 day assessment to get my blue card, in 2 minds though, with what is happening to the game.

The game is run by beauracrats and health and safety jobsworths, just ask youself how many cards were given out when they built the empire state building, before anyone starts i know its America and a long time ago but fxxk me the industry in my eyes has gone backwards and over the years will get a lot worse. bring back the old days where a scaffolder was a scaffolder not a fxxking architect

surely the point here is scaffold card against no scaffold card.

the assessed route was good for what it was but everyone new that was ending.
99% of men that showed any aptitude and worked for a reputable company was trained by them. some companies that didnt want to invest in the future didnt train men but the men themselves could have started the assessed entry process instead of doing nothing then complaining years later when they find that the good jobs are kept for those with cards.
do we as an industry want trained men with cards or people off the street with no cards but claiming to be scaffolders.
lets not bring back the old days or the old ways.

Ive done my part 2 but i ant done my 2 day assesment yet.... I dont just do house bashing do all different kinds of work like in chemical plants n pharmacutical factorys, you get some tricky little numbers thrown at u in them places.... Scaffold cards dont mean jack s**t and ill still say that wen mine cums threw !!!!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.787876,-2.276399
K. Fowler

When I was on the tools working in civil construction, petrochem and offshore I never found anything tricky. Its only fixing tubes, fittings and boards.
However I worked with some great scaffs who didnt have a card and some bad ones who did.
As for the assessed route I know people who would never be a scaffolder as long as they had a hole in their a*se who spent the weekends in the pub in Erith and still walked away with a card. When I asked my mate who was an instructor at Erith about this he told me "We have to get them passed the industry is short and the overtime is handy for us".
The NVQ and assessments are probably the best way as long as people actually do the evidence and not just pass off other mens work as theiown.

you'll always find someone who does not have proper certification who is better than someone else who does have the proper certification (as with plant etc.)... that's not to say that generally this is the case, as for the most part it is not.

Keza you little pervert you haven't been knocking lately have you?

Theres ONE reason why i went and got all my cards (Advanced, the lot) - to guarantee me a job, if i was looking for one.

A card dont make the Scaffolder, but a Scaffolder is VERY limited to where he can work and what kind of work he can do without one.

If i never had what cards i have now, id be out of work and my kids would be going hungry...
Im not a w@nker... almost every site i go on im the Chargehand, as i have half a brain, unlike most out there, but without CISRS cards, your f.ucked.

Certainly true. A card goes some way towards evidence of competency and coupled with cpd, experience and knowledge you're on your way there!

how long you been in the game keza and why havent you got cards ??
not that it makes a differance to me.
i disagree that the best men dont have cards. if your talking house bashing then it makes little to no differance either way but when you go onto the more technical jobs you wouldnt get through the gate without the appropriate card. But with scaffolding as with every walk of life there are guys with the proper training that are a waste of space.
but if i had to strip a hanger under a rig deck that i didnt build i would rather know it had been constructed by men with cards as opposed to men without cards.

what a complete load of rubish i no men with advanced cards cisrs that wouldnt go on a hanger let alone build one

you should have to prove you have been working in scaffolding for a set amount of years before each card. 10 years for advanced

Cant agree with that allan some great scaffolders would be held back in their careers going this route, agreed it might work for the majority but as in the police force the good ones should be whisked through the system

Top Bottom