What have you done today?

Decromax,

I agree with what you say, the only time I realy used it was nearly 12 years ago doing the under deck of a semi the Sedco 711. It would have taken us ages to do with tube and fit but with layher the over side access tower was built in no time then shot in under deck with tempoary ladder beams one bay at a time then the welder fixed pad eyes to the deck and repeat, it was definately quicker than t&f. I think the point of earlier posts was that after 32 years of erecting t&f why would you need to go back to the class room and learn to do the same job with layher. System by it's very nature is easier and quicker to erect with much of the same basic principles.

You might not like it bigbadbob, but forming that particular job was done in half the time with layher.

I agree t&f is more versatile. But you should see what we can do with Layher in our refinery. I work in Esso Fawley which is old , congested and a nightmare with t&f let alone layher. My company (DSL) brought Layher in 3 years ago and at first we were very sceptical. But as we got more knowledge and the whole of the component catalogue at our disposal we could more or less do anything with it.
There will always scenarios where you can only use t&f but Layher is a good bit of kit once you get the know how and components.

Decromax mate

I also totally agree, Layher is one of the best system scaffolds i have seen and worked with. Some of the jobs ive seen on the Layher website are outstanding.

Our bugbear is, all this segregation within the CISRS card scheme, between T&F and 'System' should of never occured, where was the consultation?

A apprenticeship in scaffolding should entail all aspects and every different styles of scaffolding materials, that a successful candidate, will encounter.

I realise the need for bolt on training, however, how many times does a 'Brickie' have to pay to go back to college if a different type of brick or block comes out?

IMHO, we would all do the 'Horses for courses' but the £££££££ speak for themselves, especially with SME's

Regards
Paddy

Apprenticeships should be brought back,2yrs training would mean that at the end of the term the apprentices would be trained and competent in all types of system and tube and fitt.There would then be no doubting the ability of the trainee having gone through this training.Obviously there is a lot more to learn after this initial gateway to scaffolding,but at least they are aware of what is required..

whenever citb come down they ask us to take apprentices on , they offer good grants and schemes

Scaffy,

It might be a regional think with regard to funding but I have been trying to register an apprentice for about 6 months and keep getting told there is no money in the bank for training. I can't complain too much as I have stuck a few through the scheme and your right they do offer a good deal but I think we are coming to the end of that particular train.

enquire bout citb training plans , been a good earner for us - claim all training back regardless of whether scaffold or computer training ect

Scaffold inspection at york university and a monitoring visit for a company in leeds

Top Bottom