What have you done today?

Safelinx

Wrestled with those Safelink board retainers on a roof in Cambridge, would have been easier if the lift wasn't 2.5m high and the boards weren't all warped, however they looked pretty good when finished .I need to post the photos for Chris who sent us some free samples to try. If your reading this Chris "do you do them for 4 board wide scaffolds as well"

Hi Dangeruss,

I'm reading... We can do 4 boards wide if that is what you want, but if you wanted to you can chop the samples (5 boards) down to the correct width using a handsaw and drill a new hole (9mm) in with a cordless. What you can do, and AOM did this (see his pics on the Safelinx thread), if you have inside boards you can sail out onto these (where the inside standard doesnt interfere) and cable tie back to the transom rather than the ledger.

Thanks for the comments by the way, I cant wait to see the pics on the thread!!!

Working my bollox off looking for a scaff and a labourer in broxbourne for a weeks work. Call me if you are looking guys

aom - that looks a bit remote and bleak out there

Where is that aom, Chernobyl !

Now you know why I offered to send you my sun screen, summer is definately over. Naw, just kidding it was actually a very nice day but wind farms by nature are more effective at the top of a mountain, that's low cloud about to come in and blanket the site, never seen anything like it, even offshore. Always makes me laugh when I see some nugget has plonked a wind turbine next to a house, we have got loads of mountains up here.:D

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Also, got some more pics of board retainers as they were meant to be used, only a small job but they look the part and fitted in seconds. Will post pics on the other thread when I get a chance.

i believe ya aom , well remote how far was the nearest shop ,if thats a nice day post a pic of a bad one , p.s still roastin down here

i believe ya aom , well remote how far was the nearest shop ,if thats a nice day post a pic of a bad one , p.s still roastin down here

Scaffy

Being typically Scottish I mesure distance in time so not sure exactly how far but it takes over an hour to drive down the hill then about 30 mins from the road end to get to a shop, not the worst place we've worked but you certainly don't want to forget your fags.:D Delighted you are still basking in sun shine though.:mad:

keep meaning to buy some of them , got a pro-forma somewhere , as its plastic am i gonna get mass mailed like the brickguard scenario

Hi Scaffy,

If its the Safelinx scaffold board retainers then there should only be us emailing you (patent should give us some protection, the plastic brick guard people missed a trick!!!). Still interested to get them to you though... might give you a an old fashioned call instead of an email (mass or otherwise :)).

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

Now you know why I offered to send you my sun screen, summer is definately over. Naw, just kidding it was actually a very nice day but wind farms by nature are more effective at the top of a mountain, that's low cloud about to come in and blanket the site, never seen anything like it, even offshore. Always makes me laugh when I see some nugget has plonked a wind turbine next to a house, we have got loads of mountains up here.:D

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Also, got some more pics of board retainers as they were meant to be used, only a small job but they look the part and fitted in seconds. Will post pics on the other thread when I get a chance.

Nice one, more pics are always welcome... by the way, a windy wind farm looks like it could do with the boards fastening down :bigsmile:

hi , resend that pro forma il get sorted , do in morn if poss - pay day millionaire 1st of month

I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to start a thread to chat about your days work... so ill start I have spent the best part of the morning sweating my t1ts off trying to fit a 2.5m Layher run in amongst a maze of hot pipework. An hour trying every bay size going it just couldn't get the bugger to fit so we said f@$k it and ended up doing it in good old T&F. :D

Took a holiday as i was dew one and few of us went hunting in the blue mountains , mate of mine got a shot on a wild pig (big bugger too) which was centered between his front shoulders and the bugger ran for at least a hundred meters before he dropped , be eating pork for a bit

Been sorting out and stacking Kit, Servicing Fittings, Banding Boards for the last 2 weeks, no good when your on a price, Flat Money.

We have Quite a bit of graft coming up, however knowing my luck, it will be when i have my Hols.:sick:

2 weeks stuck in the yard on a flat rate is a long time hope it picks up for you lot soon if your spanner aint turning you aint fu*%ing earning

Aye mate cheers

There are 7 of us left out of 37, 3 year ago T&F scaffolders. There is a Subbie Layher outfit in now, with the majority of our sites.

No disrespect to the Layher lads, but how can it be more cost effective, having 4 of their scaffs on a 'Timberframe build' adjusting Hop up Brkts, when there is, 7 of us, with our own gear, getting £400.00 a week for sitting in the yard.

I realise, there is a lot of fellow scaffs out of work, and i am grateful, that i am still working, and some guys with families and Mortgages are struggling. In one sense i am lucky.

Paddy

Paddy,

There was a small upturn in work in our area a few weeks back then it fell back to deathly levels. We are still working but the yard is steadily filling back up and we are out building the clients own material. This probably goes against the grain but if you can't beat them maybe join them, there is nothing wrong with shifting hoppers for a living.:eek:

Paddy,

There was a small upturn in work in our area a few weeks back then it fell back to deathly levels. We are still working but the yard is steadily filling back up and we are out building the clients own material. This probably goes against the grain but if you can't beat them maybe join them, there is nothing wrong with shifting hoppers for a living.:eek:

When the Layher, outfit came in, i raised a lot of Questions at our H&S Quartely meeting, mainly regarding Competencies and Training.

There was a Positive input, from the Layher outfit MD, regarding us (T&F) getting a 2 day (System course) FOC, and us all to blend together, and myself to maybe take a couple of their guys under my wing, and introduce them to T&F.

To conclude this post, i must agree with AOM, If needs must! However, now it goes full circle again, i am a Advanced scaffolder, 32 years in the game, and supposedely, i am not allowed to toch 'System' as i am not qualified.

Paddy

Sadly, some of our scaffs didnt want to be associated, with any sort of 'Bon Homie' and looked for and phoned me on any shortfalls or incidents, that were spread through the Company grapevine.

Training and bolt on training, is not everyones cup of Tea, i realise, If you take some guys out their comfort zone, ( T&F) and introduce them to new systems, they feel awkward, and rightly so. A lot of these guys, learnt there trade the hard way, and dont feel comfortable in a classroom.

Paddy,

I take your point and agree with what you say, but I say it again..... how the feck is someone with 32 years in the game not competent to erect system. SHAKS MA HEID.:mad:

A tube and fitting man will never be replaced by a system man. Not in the industrial sector, anyway. System is ok in the right applications but it is not versatile enough on petro chem and steelwork plants (for example) as it is difficult to piece around pipework and machinery. Layher is a nightmare in these environments due to the excessive amount of componets required.

AOM mate.

Beats me, its only, basing out, that you need to think about, then, Wham,Bam thank you mam.

IMHO, if you need to do any, Jobs that 'Layher' have on there Promo website, so be it, bring on the design.

The only problem i can see with system is, 'I lent my dad my hammer and i cant come to work today, as he is putting up a new fence'.

No disrespect to the system lads intended.;)

Nice one Paddy, can I have that one lol.

We work with both t&f and system in equall mesure, tbh I very rarely go out for the system jobs, but I reckon there are plenty who could educate me on how to do it quicker and show me plenty of tips as there is definately a knack to it but to say I or any of the boys can't erect it around a two storey because we haven't got the specific ticket is just wrong.

Agree Paddy

"i am a Advanced scaffolder, 32 years in the game, and supposedely, i am not allowed to toch 'System' as i am not qualified."

The basic principles of erectimg a safe scaffold structure is the same
Firm Base,Plumb,level,tied,safe access egress,fully boarded safe working platforms I can go on and on But the basics remain the same.

I had a site manager ring me stating that one of my lads was erecting a 5m alloy tower without a "ticket"I explained he was an advanced scaffolder with 20years experience and in my opinion was over qualified he started huming and hawing I said the guy would build the tower from scratch with t&f but I would raise a charge for labour and materials he backed off and said he agreed that scaff was competant to build the tower but he would have liked a "ticket"

I dont profess to be an expert on any system scaffold,but I will erect any system if supplied with the correct parts list and a working drawings in a safe and propper manner and have an overall understanding of the design and loadings the structure will take

It is time scaffold training was taken out of the fecking classroom and put back onto site,s where it belongs, with real scaffolders teaching the sprogs of today what scaffolding is all about The way I was taught by the older end of my day I have had part 2s that could not tie a tube on a rope and wheel or even lash a ladder correctly:mad:

Devide and rule that is where the employers are heading T&F scaffolders,Layher scaffolders,all round scaffolders,cup lock scaffolders,yellow fecking peril scaffolders we will be all back to semi skilled status in a few years:mad:

A tube and fitting man will never be replaced by a system man. Not in the industrial sector, anyway. System is ok in the right applications but it is not versatile enough on petro chem and steelwork plants (for example) as it is difficult to piece around pipework and machinery. Layher is a nightmare in these environments due to the excessive amount of componets required.

I agree t&f is more versatile. But you should see what we can do with Layher in our refinery. I work in Esso Fawley which is old , congested and a nightmare with t&f let alone layher. My company (DSL) brought Layher in 3 years ago and at first we were very sceptical. But as we got more knowledge and the whole of the component catalogue at our disposal we could more or less do anything with it.
There will always scenarios where you can only use t&f but Layher is a good bit of kit once you get the know how and components.

Top Bottom