Westminster scaffolding

Yes i know, i ran the aiport project with a very good friend who is still with AL-Laithe, we made a fortune for that company, work is not so good for all in Dubai at this time.

The construction boom in Dubai is over.
Companies that made fortunes in the past few years are now facing the reality of competing for work.
Whereas years ago very ordinary businessmen who were in the right place at the right time made fortunes because there was too much work, not enough labour and materials.
Now the cracks are appearing and these businessmen who have not had businesses in any competitive construction countries are struggling and finding life hard.
For years they have exploited cheap labour and provided almost slave like working and living conditions for their employees.
Maybe karma exists and this is pay back time!!!

Well said mate, how right you are, i think you know as well as i, and i am talking from my own experiance of Dubai over the past 8 years, AL-Laithe where a back street company untill they got the airport project, just one example of the way things where, and they are now struggling to surrvive, not only them, but alot of other major international companys, and they dont come much bigger than Carillion, whom i last worked for.

Would there alot of British scaffolders left in Dubai ? .
Is it just British scaffs out there or are there scaffolders from all over ?
Only asking as i find it interesting .
What sort of scale would the scaffolds be and is it system or traditional tube and fitting?

Hi Paul, No mate no Brit Scaffs in Dubai, i only knew of a few that worked on the F1 Track in Abu Dhabi, and a couple that worked on the Atlantis, 99% labour is Asian, most Brit expats are employed in mid management roles supervisors upwards, and theres not alot of them left now. scaffold materials used, mostly system cuplock ect, but most companies do stock and use alot of tube and fitting.

Worked on Oxo tower refurb for Westminster in late 80s/early 90s. Think Bobby Taylor was there. Is Bill Kent still around?

hi havspannerwilltavel
just being nosey you mentioned iran business or pleasure ? i was contracted to go out there last year but it all went tits up after they had the re-election and started blaming the brits for all the problems

such is life lapta

Dont know if Bill Kent is still around but when i worked for him on a asbestos job for Brown demolition there was to many back handers going around that it f***ed tthe job right up . Did you ever come across a hugh black dude called Rikki Nevin ?

hi havspannerwilltavel
just being nosey you mentioned iran business or pleasure ? i was contracted to go out there last year but it all went tits up after they had the re-election and started blaming the brits for all the problems

such is life lapta

Lapta, it was business if I want pleasure its going to be Dubai or Djibouti there is not a lot of pleasure in Iran

Iran

Hi Havespannerwilltravel,

Being nosey too, where abouts in Iran were you working? I was offered a start there but didn’t like the political situation. The money was good though!!

Scarf folder

Kevin clifford is danny cliffords son who owns quick fix scaffolding, kevin used to work for me years ago for qfs when they were out of stockwell.

gemini riteway are in gibraltar,i work for them,well handed my notice in today!!!back to the uk for me,bigger fish to fry!!!

hi paul i worked with ricky nevin on wm

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

hi paul i worked with ricky nevin and micky bone and jimmy harvey at westminster.

hi paul i worked with ricky nevin on wm

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

hi paul i worked with ricky nevin and micky bone and jimmy harvey at westminster.

Hey mate when was that and were too , i worked with with most of the boys at westminster around the early 90's. Last thing i heard Micky Bone moved to Australia . Ricky Nevin was one big bloke , seen him pick 6 long and put them on his shoulder and walked of with them like they were five foot's

worked for them briefly b4 they went tits up think the bank pulled the plug,had like 4 220ft tower blocks,were impounded,up for months.was a good firm at the time

I Worked For GKN Mills Then GKN Kwikform Then Interserve NEVER Ever Again Must Be The Most Badly Run Company I Have Ever Had The Misfortune To Be Employed By The Management Couldnt Give A Four X About You Had Many An Argument About Money With Supervisors Contracts Managers And Branch Managers Every Penny That They Stole From You Went In Their Bonus,Tossers The Flaming Lot Of Them

had the missfortune to work for a company like that wont say their name but reminds me of a butterfly.strike and reerrect on a job.left a 30 ft section by the height up stacked mats
on lifts.supervisor came out and told me couldnt get same price for the rest of scaff as i hadnt got mats to floor.needless to say i marked his card.
final straw was me and my m8 d/c a well hole in earls court,driver slept in his cab all day
was there 12 hrs,wageslip following week was 5 hrs short.when i asked why,was told guvnor docked us for keeping lorry out so l8.in effect docked us to pay drivers overtime
oh the good ol days lol

The bloke sounds like a total ass , Makes me think that when SOME ex scaffs make the change to supervisors or managers that they metamorph in to power crazed ego tripping and ultimatley forget were they had come from .

I had the chance a couple of months ago to go supervising but turn't it down as i am making more money on the tools than they were offering .

The bloke who took the job i turn't down has changed so much and is so far up the mangers ass , have no respect for him what so ever !!

Top Bottom