Truss out help for apprentice.

No young Bobby , you used the band and plate on the inside of the transom and the DH on the outside , also used them for the top of the braces

cheers phil i saw one in sgbs king cross yard iit was like a shrine to the old schools scaffs ie with 35ft beams and dhs i asked one of the old boys what it was for and now i know he was on the wind up lol for the last 10 years i thought they were for toeys lolololololol

We used to jam a bit of timber in them and used them to come off steel. :eek:

Did I say that out loud?

They did get used for toe boards as well Bobby , if you use one on the last standard your stop end toe board sits in it and you dont need those dead man

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

We used to jam a bit of timber in them and used them to come off steel. :eek:

Did I say that out loud?

We done the same AOM but we used a 30mm nut and bolt instead of the timber

Half right then I've had arguments with scaffs my age that have only seen them obviously not used them............ Always wondered why the older ones were laughing at us:laugh:

I've tied to steel using doubles, where you get enough of the back of it to bite the steel lip if you know what I mean. A big cockney named Beasley showed me that one about twelve years ago.

I've tied to steel using doubles, where you get enough of the back of it to bite the steel lip if you know what I mean. A big cockney named Beasley showed me that one about twelve years ago.

A Cockney taught you that eh pete????? :D you've made my night nice one :laugh:

the flat DEAD HEAD was the invention/idea of PAT REAGAN a cockney sgb man while working on the North Cormorrant Hook up.
According to my wee uncle it was known as the PR250 as he got the princely sum of £250 from SGB.
that was in the late 70s very early 80s;)

The S.K HAD A SWIVEL ATTACHED which came in handy but was probably its downfall due to scaremongering.
a wee picture would make a perfect avatar for young steve.
as regards the truss out if my memory serves me right its inside the house,build the horse jacked to the ceiling 12ft unit beams out the window.brace up as per and then trannies boards etc.
NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT
YOU ARE THERE TO BE TOUGHT LET THEM TEACH YOU;)

Thanks for all your replies , I knew my grandad loved his work its nice to see he was well thought of :) What would be the best way to erect a truss out , I know you use screw plates and the put needles out the opening from there i am a bit lost.

Just had a look online and spunkywads uploaded a pic of one on here 4 years ago, I havent a clue how to put up a pic other than these fukin stupid faces :push:

make a horse punch the needles out , ledger over the back of your needles on your horse,your outside ledger wants to be underneath your needles spured down to your bridle tube on your droppers, just then treat It as an independent....its fairly right but dont bet your house on it !

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies , I knew my grandad loved his work its nice to see he was well thought of :) What would be the best way to erect a truss out , I know you use screw plates and the put needles out the opening from there i am a bit lost.

Happy said it best when he suggested that you let them train you, but once your needles are out you drop down inside standards then form your square and pick it up. Like most things, it probably sounds quite complicated but once you are there it becomes blatantly obvious.

Just googled it and and got this image :eek:
EarScaffold-FACT.jpg

Top Bottom