Training companies raping the industry!

i was nearly a product of cecol left after over 8months at bircham and your right after a year that was it fully qualified in reality new nothing went back to the depot a year behind my fellow trainees,does that course still exist today??

They don't do the year long course any more. I did this course back in 88, S60 if I recall correctly. From a scaffolding point of view I think it was a bit of a waste of time. Made some good friends there though, still in touch with a few of them.

They don't do the year long course any more. I did this course back in 88, S60 if I recall correctly. From a scaffolding point of view I think it was a bit of a waste of time. Made some good friends there though, still in touch with a few of them.

thanks for that mate found it just a bit too long and boring to be honest bailed out and got transfared to kings x depot as punishment pmsl.

The problem now is you are discouraged to beast trainees!!

Learn or take the high jump!!

Now you are encouraged to be nice & the training is basic & attendance based.

No middle ground:(:sad2::mad:

Ragscaff

maby should be like most other trade were you get site visits over year 1 and year 2 so lets say part 1 part 2 you pic 3 subjects for part 1 birdcage, indapendant, crnt thing of the other in the part 1 course, and on 3 seprate occasions in the year an asses comes out to see you putting this scaffold up from start to finish , year two the same but with diffrent jobs etc roof stack from start to finish beams start to finish and truss out start to finish and then and only then would you get signed off this is how ti works in plumbing and eletrical with the exception of these 3 week intense courses that got about 4 time more than the college course

Pre requisite of doing a part 1. A minimum 6 months verifiable experience of scaffold operations, ie lab.:D:laugh:

Eddie Williams went offshore ... Although he did say to me that he was told the wrong time for the helicopter because when he turned up all the lads had gone ....
Eddie quote when he turned up late for work ( all though he lived 5 mins from job ) and the manager was waiting for him
" if you told me you was coming I would have got here on time "
Great fells though

Eddie Williams went offshore ... Although he did say to me that he was told the wrong time for the helicopter because when he turned up all the lads had gone ....
Eddie quote when he turned up late for work ( all though he lived 5 mins from job ) and the manager was waiting for him
" if you told me you was coming I would have got here on time "
Great fells though

Great fella but not great with a spanner though tim?

With more training than ever before, how come standards are as low as I have ever seen them. I'm working with a bloke, who is so incompetent he's downright dangerous. He's already caused one near miss on-site and has announced today that he's off next week to do his advanced course, which he is paying for himself - He isn't fit to have a basic card never mind an advanced card.

No doubt he will pass his course (let's face it, have you ever heard of anyone failing) and will be "qualified" to sign jobs off. I'm not a vindictive person by any stretch of the imagination, but this bloke will end up either seriously injuring or killing somebody. It's about time the training system was shaken up so you can only book a course on recommendation of a company or a qualified individual.

I also believe that each person on the course should have an individual other assessment rather than just passing gear to the blokes in the gang who know what they are doing. the National construction college and its affiliates should be hanging their heads in shame at some of the doughnuts they are turning out in the pursuit of a few quid!
well said gunslinger,sadly thats the way the games going today.

Ragscaff

Noted.

Bit strong I know but what I am trying to say is the new blood coming through on the whole do not want to take responsibility for what they are doing, the training is very basic & as some others have said is not directed at the individual a lot of the time. We have had guys coming back from part one & part 2 courses where the answers to the questionnaire at the end of the course are left on the table & the instructor leaves the room!!

I know a lot of us go on about how we were taught in the old days, I am not saying that is the correct way but the way the guys walk through the current system is too far the other way. Middle ground needs to be found!!

Need to have more work experience before starting each element of training.

I did my advanced at Erith, same thing happened their, the answer sheet was left on the table!!

Ragscaff

Ragscaff

why would anyone want to beast anybody never mind a trainee,people dont come to work to be abused they come to learn then earn my friend.

Bit strong I know but what I am trying to say is the new blood coming through on the whole do not want to take responsibility for what they are doing, the training is very basic & as some others have said is not directed at the individual a lot of the time. We have had guys coming back from part one & part 2 courses where the answers to the questionnaire at the end of the course are left on the table & the instructor leaves the room!!

I know a lot of us go on about how we were taught in the old days, I am not saying that is the correct way but the way the guys walk through the current system is too far the other way. Middle ground needs to be found!!

Need to have more work experience before starting each element of training.

I did my advanced at Erith, same thing happened their, the answer sheet was left on the table!!

Ragscaff

the question is did you have a look at it? lol, i have no problems with this my head is a sponge for information useful info and useless info just sticks there no matter the subject,

why would anyone want to beast anybody never mind a trainee,people dont come to work to be abused they come to learn then earn my friend.

if you let lads away with out they take the piss i done everything my chargehand said as a lab ,to make their job easier that was my job, the few labs i have been working with are new starters i dont scream and shout at them if they say no i do it my sell for instance we had to move wagon for sand been pored and cement , so it was a 200 yard march until athe wagon went. after the cement wagon had went the lab driver continuded to march the gear from the wagon when i aksed him why he was doing it his reply was you left 5ft on the side of so ya can fek off am nto moving them, his walked about 20 baord 20 20's 200 yards instead of moving 5x 5 ft back on the wagon so he didnt have to load up when he got back to the yard as it was last job i wouldnt dare of done that as a lab i wanna get yam rule them with a iron fist or thell take the piss i find any how

its a fine line , too soft and they take the piss , too hard , and theyre gone.

Training centres are businesses like every other business. We get an email every week from a well known training centre offering "great deals on scaffold courses" its not in their intrest to fail people as they wouldn't get any repeat customers.

As long as you have a bit of paper saying that you've passed a certain course or have a certain qualification thats all that counts these days.The site agent can tick his sheet and no longer have to take responsibility for making sure that the people working on his site actually know what they're doing. Its dodging responsibility and avoiding blame that counts these days.

An MOT test result is exactly the same, it proves that at the time of a test the car (or person) was deemed acceptable to pass that test. Once you have left you can do what you like. Its bo*llocks really.

That was quite sensible for me, must be getting old.

its a fine line , too soft and they take the piss , too hard , and theyre gone.

nar i dont think so if you hard on them and they dont go they are the nuts lads that dont last after bit of stick arnt worth a w@nk i can say this av been in this situation lads tried to break me in an shape or from at work some lads broke easy and maby didnt go but took the week off etc and the scaffs found ti funny not 1 of them broke me no matter what they done fitting flung at me to try and be funny cant i just picked them up and said you not needing this , putting dog **** on end of tubes and throwing it at us so i had to cath the tube, you name it i had it done there was days hardley nowt got done with them trying to break me and i can say no man has ever broke me nor ever will :laugh:

nice one flinty , u takin the challenge marra

**** took my level when i started , said i wouldnt need it , 6 months later he said posession was 9/10's of the law , so had to fight him to get it back , i got it

"no man has ever broke me nor ever will".....like it mate good attitude,got disagree with the beasting though.

Top Bottom