Training companies raping the industry!

Theres something seriously wrong with the current system,dont yu think Aom?
enough on here complaining and suffering as a result of saturation and poor standards.

Hi Drifta,

Ian's posts have pretty much summed it up for me and I have been one of our training regimes most vociferous critics but ultimately I am responsible. To be honest there is a lot of pressure on guys like me to have a fully trained and carded workforce, mainly the bigger PC's but in all honesty what I have found it takes at least 4 years before you really see any significant improvement with an apprentice. My apprenticeship was really poor, I was a basic scaff till I was 30 or there abouts never really started learning the trade till I went to the oil industry about 28 despite being in the industry from the age of 18 a lot depends on your background. I would have killed and I mean killed to get the training they get now and the job.

I think you also have to remember how the funding works, it's pretty good up here at the moment and as a small company we have to take advantage of that while we can as Ian say's it might not always work like that.

Ian,

It was almost a year ago so things may have changed but I was offered to get an apprentice through to advanced if I did it I think it was 12 months after completing their normal apprenticeship.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Before I sign a portfolio I always watch them working ,if they are not good enough it doesn't get signed .

I see it a bit like driving a car, you learn to pass a test but the real learning process starts once you are qualified.

hate to keep banging on and sound like a broken record but in all my time iv never heard of ANYONE fail basic part2 or advance assesments....with that in mind iv work with two guys who received letters stating that they were signed off but wernt of the standard required how can that be!!!!!!was it because they were sent by the biggest trainer in scaffolding at the time?

Aom, there are different funding for advanced as in you can get the nvq3 and it may cover the cost of the training but there is no curriculum for advanced apprenticeship. We alf off the training now but years ago you went to CITB for one year and came out advanced at 17/18 never to return, same with cecol. To answer st ledger it's a joint culpability if there is a injury/ accident.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Aom, there are different funding for advanced as in you can get the nvq3 and it may cover the cost of the training but there is no curriculum for advanced apprenticeship. We alf off the training now but years ago you went to CITB for one year and came out advanced at 17/18 never to return, same with cecol. To answer st ledger it's a joint culpability if there is a injury/ accident.

Good to see a lot of forum heavyweights back as well

I was on the scales this morning and they just screamed at me to get off.:eek:

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

I might be wrong, nothing new there, I will email our wee rep to see what is on offer up here for the advanced.

I never ever send any of the apprentices on it anyway as I never felt they were ready but we do have one now that is showing signs but that is after being here 4 years or more.

i was nearly a product of cecol left after over 8months at bircham and your right after a year that was it fully qualified in reality new nothing went back to the depot a year behind my fellow trainees,does that course still exist today??

Don't think so CB, although they are still training there.

being taken from the war torn streets of glasgow and thrust into the quaint sourroundings of east anglia stuck out like a sore thumb kings lynn weren't to bad though.

hate to keep banging on and sound like a broken record but in all my time iv never heard of ANYONE fail basic part2 or advance assesments....with that in mind iv work with two guys who received letters stating that they were signed off but wernt of the standard required how can that be!!!!!!was it because they were sent by the biggest trainer in scaffolding at the time?

i know a guy who failed the advanced assessment. His name was Eddie Williams and any one who has worked with him wouldnt be surprised to hear he failed. He was told to come back in a years time and redo it.

was he ill,had he lost a limb did he go blind??how the fcuk did he manage the near impossible lol.

after doing my third course at the ncc in 7 months i bullshitted an instructor that i was doing undercover fiming for channel 4's dispatches programme , i was quite believable , people in the class and the instructor were not sure if i was lying or not , until i told them i was

Stleger
"i bullshitted an instructor that i was doing undercover fiming for channel 4's dispatches programme , i was quite believable "

Think the idea of "Undercover" investigations is to not disclose your true intentions :bigsmile:

Have to agree with aom going by my own experience and observing others it takes about 4 years before you are competent .I started scaffolding offshore so I was chucked in the deep end literally ,it was a steep learning curve !
I was a basic until about 30 also, the training opportunities were not as good as they are now days ,the youngsters have got it good now

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Good to see a lot of forum heavyweights back as well

Sorry Ian, didn't spend enough time reading your post, I knew there was no curriculum for them but there is funding and in my world that is the same.;)

I got a quick reply back but she reckons it's after 18 months.

You can – but they need to have a break (think its 18 months on site) before they can.

I’ll get you full details on Monday.

the whole citb/ cisrs has been a joke from day one. Blokes are basically self certifying themselves by paying for courses that as long as you turn up every day are guaranteed to pass,especially the new europeans.it should be like a driving test where every individual is tested and show capability to scaffold

Some really good posts in this thread.

What I can also tell you (as I have before ;)) it is not just the scaffolding industry that seems to be suffering from quick qualification over experience. You know there are electician courses out there now... where you've never played with a cable before and yet in 3 weeks you are a qualified electrician!

So no experience, no on the job training - just get out there and re-wire someone's house! I find that very scary :eek:

Top Bottom