The step thing!!

My wife signed it too. She feels uneasy hemping over the handrail.:unsure:

How is the online petition going to work ??
The HSE do not state that a scaff step must be used. The HSE say what you must achieve not how you achieve it. The scaff step is a cheap method for companies to solve the problem of working at an open edge.
The majority of small companies ignore this and the big companies would have to invest hundreds of thousands of pounds in advanced guardrail systems in order to comply in exactly the same way that the scaff step does at a fraction of the cost.
I fail to see if used correctly how it can be unsafe ?. However i do consede that it slows the job but when 99% of guys are paid by the hour what does that matter.
Progress can be measured by results and i would say that more guys going home safely at the end of the day is indeed progress.
Im sure that most of us who have been in the game 25 years all know of someone who is not around anymore and the use of scaff steps may have prevented from an early grave.

just my opinion

Scotontour,

the scaffstep is not the only cheap method that can be used to keep the right side of the law, but it does seem to be the preferred method for the many poorly educated site management and in house safety advisers as it's easy to look out of the office window and see if it is being used.

How many scaffolders have fallen to their death working to SG4:05?

How many actually use the step?

How many accidents and near misses has the step caused?

http://www.scaffoldersforum.com/scaffolders-forum/13349-scaff-step-post117894.html#post117894

Awareness is what this petition is about, hopefully another nail in the coffin for the step.

Scotontour? - Have you used it?

If not i can guarantee that if/when you do, that within about 15 minutes you'll be pulling your hair out.

Its shaky, flimsy and its not 100% safe, as if you have either a sleeve in between your top and bottom handrail, or are working on a splay, it dont work.
Imo, honestly - If your not able to traverse 21ft/6.4m without falling off a Scaffold, then you should not be doing this job.

Its only good for Independents... you cant really use it on Birdcages, or anything else, without a struggle.

In short: Its f.ucking crap and needs to be seriously looked at by the HSE.

As scaffolders you should be telling your employers that you are refusing to use it as there are better collective methods available to the scaffolding market.
The HSE will view it as what has been put into your company risk assessments and method statements.They just dont want to see anybody exposed to any open edges. As Nick Rigby will tell you he is sick of seeing body bags from construction related accidents. After all you are your own safety man at work so if something is telling you uncertain things would you normally do the task.

We shouldn't be using Steel Beams, when Alloy ones are available, which are easier to work with and just as strong, but you still see hundreds of jobs about, with Steel beams in them.

Scaffolding firms dont care what is easier or safer - or about our backs.
They only care that THEIR arse is covered and THEY earn as much money on a job as possible.

The HSE are using the Scaff-Step because of recommendations from the NASC (The very same firms, that we work for), without having any kind of feedback from the man on the street...

Their attitude is: 'Your going to use this Step and get used to using it - end of story.'

Im sure that most of us who have been in the game 25 years all know of someone who is not around anymore and the use of scaff steps may have prevented from an early grave.

No-one has ever been killed while working to SG4:05. Ever. They are very boastful of this achievement.

Instead of changing the SG4 rules they should put effort into making more companies comply with the old rules, this would professionalise the industry and in theory make a scaffolder death by fall from height an extremely rare occurrence.

Instead of changing the rules for scaffolders the Industry should make the other trades work to their method statements & stop tampering with scaffolding.

Most accidents under the heading 'falls from heights' are Roofers or other trades off ladders.

Ragscaff

Some people will say "The HSE have Said........we must do this and we must do that". in reality the HSE will say "You cant do this and you cant do that".

Might sound the same, but in fact it's all in there wording, they will tell you what you cant do....... but not tell you what you can do, or endorse your methods. Compen claim culture again.

The HSE will say, Work to best practice i.e SG4:10 and TG20:08 blame out of their court. Arse covering courses do you get a Basic and Advanced ?

Top Bottom