Sg4 10

Never put anyone in the recovery position if they have been hanging in their harness sit them down feet on floor and knees tight to the chest until the ambulance arrives.

I've heard this is old school now, suspension trauma no longer exists its something like syncope - basically it's like fainting so they say if unconscious always put them in recover position now!

Do you agree with this?

First aid management for harness suspension when working at height

Following completion of an evidence based review of published medical literature on the effects of a fall triggering harness suspension, HSE confirms that no change should be made to the standard first aid guidance for the post recovery of a semi conscious or unconscious person in a horizontal position, even if the subject of prior harness suspension.

The sometimes quoted suggestion of recovery in a semi-recumbent or sitting position was considered to be without any sound evidence base and may prove dangerous through prolonging the lack of blood return to the brain.

When contemplating working at height, and in particular when considering the use of a fall arrest system, employers need to consider any emergency or rescue procedures that may be required and the drawing up of an emergency and rescue plan. It is not acceptable just to rely on the emergency services. Emergency procedures need to be considered for reasonably foreseeable circumstances. The measures need to be covered in the risk assessment and planned prior to the work activity being carried out. The key is to get the person down safely in the shortest possible time and before the emergency service response. If employers cannot do this, then harness work is not the correct system of work. Motionless head up suspension can lead to pre-syncope [light headedness; nausea; sensations of flushing; tingling or numbness of the arms or legs; anxiety; visual disturbance; or a feeling they are about to faint] in most normal subjects within 1 hour and in a fifth within 10 minutes.

A report of the review and the full list of recommendations will be published shortly on the HSE website. Notification of when, will be posted on the latest news page.

See also:

Basic advice on first aid at work
The other key recommendations on advice to first aiders responding to harness suspension incidents are:

No change should be made to the standard UK first aid guidance of ABC management, even if the subject of prior harness suspension.
A casualty who is experiencing pre-syncopal symptoms or who is unconscious whilst suspended in a harness should be rescued as soon as is safely possible.
If the rescuer is unable to immediately release a conscious casualty from a suspended position, elevation of the legs by the casualty or rescuer where safely possible may prolong tolerance of suspension.
First responders to persons in harness suspension should be able to recognise the symptoms of pre-syncope. These include light headedness; nausea; sensations of flushing; tingling or numbness of the arms or legs; anxiety; visual disturbance; or a feeling they are about to faint.
The literature review revealed no documented cases of suspension trauma occurring during industrial use of fall protection. The term “suspension trauma” is one that has developed as a parlance amongst many who work in the fall protection industry and training sector. It is used to describe the situation of a person falling into suspension in a harness and then becoming unconscious. In this scenario the loss of consciousness is not due to any physical injury, but rather, it is thought that orthostasis, motionless vertical suspension, is responsible. “Trauma” is therefore an inappropriate term which may be better replaced by the descriptive term “syncope” which is the sudden transient loss of consciousness with spontaneous recovery, as may occur with a simple faint.

Emergency services are trained to put you in the recovery position, from suspension trauma, anyone on sites being trained by the big companies, on rescue and retrieval are now told to put the person in the recovery position, what they are being taught is to save a life formost, but what could happen is you end up with brain damage from not being put in the squatting position, with a straight back, try and get them lent against a wall with there legs tucked up, I would rather be dead that spend the rest of my life brain damaged. I know there's some Scaffs that already are.:amazed:

Back to the topic.

What does everyone think about SG4:10 one year later?

Does not fit the work we do cannot implement it without cost, a cost our customers will not pay & if you charge to cover the cost of doing it you don't get the work.

Again how & why clip onto a base lift?

Ragscaff

Never put anyone in the recovery position if they have been hanging in their harness sit them down feet on floor and knees tight to the chest until the ambulance arrives.

i think u'll find thats outdated now mate hse now say go back to the normal recovery position.

and as for suspention trauma (i may be wrong) but during the harness inspection course it gos into it in quite a lot of depth on the issue and that no death or permanent injury has been recorded due to it, and the regulations for it were only drafted as a there "was a possible medical risk"

all our harness are millers and have the step which fits and stows to it unobtrusively,but can be bought and fitted to any step for about £10 off ebay.

on a slightly differnt note,in the 80s i spent many years working and rigging in a harness,suspended for sometimes hours at a time and certainly more than the 7 min recovery time that they want now, with no more than the odd dead legs- alot of this is written for the compensation and blame culture ,and to make us spend more money on kit and quals that for the last 50yrs we as a trade have niether needed or wanted.....should av made fred dibbs the nasc chairman and seen how differnt it woulda been lolol

I think working in a harness when you know you are going to suspend in one is a bit different to falling off whilst wearing one & then it deploying. Has anyone got any info on that happening!!

Info we have been & are given is so up in the air that no-one seems to know. I have had someone in person who is on an NASC committee tell me there is no such thing as harness trauma!!!

Should we not have more facts issued to us before wearing this kit?

Ragscaff

Does not fit the work we do cannot implement it without cost, a cost our customers will not pay & if you charge to cover the cost of doing it you don't get the work.

Again how & why clip onto a base lift?

Ragscaff

no need to clip on use the "upfront AGS":bigsmile:

Does anyone even know anyone who has took a fall while being clipped on...cos I certainly haven't...I think I heard of a Brummie chucking himself off the 3rd lift to see what would happen once but that was years ago...I think he bumped his head on a pole when it went tight.

surely not on the base lift:wondering:

I've kept an old contract I was given once which said "you must be clipped on AT ALL TIMES". If I followed that rule as it was written, I'd step out the van, clip awkwardly onto the wing mirror then stand around til dinner unable to do anything.

Top Bottom