Scaffold Inspectors Course

Hy Collo
sorry I missed your question "butwhere do you stand legally if you ok a job and cockup." It's an age thing or to many years scaffolding:confused:

Legally to inspect scaffold structures,You have to be "Competent"

To determin if a person is competent to do any job you can use the
acronym S.K.A.T.E.

Skill, Knowledge, Ability/attitude, Training, Experience

If you can tick all the boxes in the list above and they directly have a berring on the job in question you are competent to do it

The advanced scaffold inspection card or certificate only shows proof of a small part of the criteria required to show competence

An adv scaffolder with 20 years varied experience,would definatly tick four of the boxes 1)Skill 2)Knowledge 3)Ability 4)Experience. As to the training aspect he would have received on the job training over the years from peers and in other forms. He would be deemed competent in my opinion

A Site Manager with no practical scaffolding experience,with a two day basic inspection card and a two day advanced scaffold inspection card with a total of around 24 hours training in scaffold inspection in my opinion is not competent and his "specielist" knowledge would be torn to shreds in a court of law

To much weight is put onto the training aspect of proving competence (thats where the money is to be made) personally I look to the other four criteria Skill, Knowledge,Ability,Experience in assessing if a person is competent

Don't be afraid of signing off scaffolds if you are competent and have done all that is "reasonable and practical" in your inspection and complied with current legislation you will be able to defend any action taken against you.
There is not any job that has been erected, including my own, that a competent inspector cannot find some "fault" with or suggest a "better" way of doing it

Good luck with your growing company, work safe, work smart

My new Inspectors ticket arrived this morning whilst typing this,another card to the collection,soon have a full deck of 52

Good post and echos my thoughts exactly...
Im being badgered into going on the advanced inspection course but dont really want to. Im an advanced scaff....18 years in the game, as far as Im concerned ...competent.
Do you or anyone else see the benefit of doing this course?

Dave.

Dave I would do the course and pick up your ticket,I assume your employer will be paying for the course and your salary

The reason I applied for my card was that some knobhead on site will ask me if I have one,thats once the knobheads in question have learnt of there existance
It will be far quicker for me to show the card and get on with my job than to explain to some one the criteria of competence to inspect a scaffold structure. Route of least resistence.

Ther are major flaws in the training and tickiting route of showing comtetence.We have ended up in this position by our apathy and taking things on face value.Employers are just as fed-up as the employees on this state of affairs

Personally I am sick and tired of self appointed and un-elected agencies "Training" scaffolders to a level they already have or exceed in many cases,and charging vast amounts of money to do so. This is clearly a case of the tail wagging the dog.There is a way now to have our say through the work Ragscaff and others have done and are continuing to do in raising our profile there are I believe around 2,000 members on this site with a very good cross section of occupations in the scaffold sector.

WE ARE THE EXPERTS ON SCAFFOLDING IN THIS COUNTRY

below is a copy of a post from another thread by Ragscaff

S.C.C.R

Scaffolders Confederation for Consolation Rights

Mission Statement

The S.C.C.R’s main mission is to represent the whole of the Scaffolding Industry. The main aim is to represent the working Scaffolder along side the Employer. Too many divisions exist in the Industry at the moment.

We are going through a major change with the way we have to work & our representation is not as it should be.

From small one man bands to major companies & from the hard working Scaffolder to the Design company or Consumables Supplier there is a need for another voice.
One from the roots.

An avenue has been opened with the HSE. This is the major step, we have been given the chance for regular meetings throughout the year to voice our concerns & have Consultation on major changes to our Industry.

The main point of contact will be through the Scaffolders Forum, from which we were formed. All correspondence will be posted on the Committee for Consultation Rights.

Main Objectives

1/ Training
2/ SG4 2010
3/ Clarity on what is law & what is guidance
4/ The newest & most URGENT ECITB ticket holders

We need to from a formal Committee

Anyone wishing to put themselves or another member forward please Private PM me.

Regards Ragscaff​

Thanks for that....
I guess Im gonna have to bow to the pressure and go and get myself on the course.
Yea, paid for by company in full, accomodation etc. Just cant be arsed with it right now, getting too old, fat and stupid to be doing this sort of thing anymore.

Dave.

Does anyone know what the requirements are to be a scaffold inspector trainer? I only ask because after my wee moan about my local construction college offering a course that no one would recognise I have been asked to run it. Not exactly sure how I feel about it, I told them that the only tickets I have is to build the stuff but that didn't seem put them off. I suppopse it would make sense as I said earlier you could throw a stone between my yard and theirs and would be easy to supply jobs to be inspected but surely some sort of formal qualification is required to run such a course. Maybe 20 years experience is good enough but if it is it will be the first time.

thought u had to do a train the trainer course(s) as is the way with ipaf and pasma

I think you probably have, and they forgot to tell me.

bunch of muppetts aint they .....

Guy looking at pastrys in a bakers

points down and asks is that an eclair or a marange

your right it is an eclair

?? is that shaking your head !

Begs the question: What else could it mean?:D

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Guy looking at pastrys in a bakers

points down and asks is that an eclair or a marange

your right it is an eclair

Do you think they got that rigger?:D

scafolders inspection course

hi scicluna or is it mr davies
done the advanced insp course back in january this year good course informative so if you do,nt apply for the card and stay with the certificate do you still have to update your status after 2 years . by the way hav,nt forgotten aboput the kathleen may book we were discussing, back in blighty end of sept will post it to you then

lapta

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

scicluna
my last post can you pass it on to bryan lewis got you mixed up with him must be the welsh name.

lapta

aom - i detected that was in a scottish accent just wanted to check it out mate ha

i cannybelleveit wee man

aom - i detected that was in a scottish accent just wanted to check it out mate ha

i cannybelleveit wee man

Aye, nice one. I must admit we do talk fast, or maybe just lazy as every word seems to get shortened.

ohnoo , i drink with a few scots (was gonna put sweatys) and your rite 100mph - say that again bud

Hard to believe you will find a sweaty sock drinking in a pub down in London.lol

hi aom
been drinking in the london pubs for about 30 years with a few other sweaty,s keeping the lion rampart flying high
lapta

I have just had it from the horses mouth . If you have got your nvq level 3 advanced and your 2 day advanced inspection certificate you can just apply for the inspectors card . The supervisors stuff is for non scaffolders . but here we go again another bunch of money for another bit of plastic.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

I have just had it from the horses mouth . If you have got your nvq level 3 advanced and your 2 day advanced inspection certificate you can just apply for the inspectors card . The supervisors stuff is for non scaffolders . but here we go again another bunch of money for another bit of plastic.

Hi Steve

What about Advanced Card holders from the pre NVQ time?

Does this mean that we need to do NVQ's (I think i've read something along these lines on another thread). I don't know if you [the man in the know] can shed any light on the matter?

Cheers:confused:

Top Bottom