Scaffold access gate

No Barry the scaffold is built to the contractors requirements , along with all RAMS , so if they need a 150 gap then thats what they get

Sorry guys, I must be missing something here. Surely a 225mm gap in the board is big enough for your leg to go through, and possibley break it. On machinery the max gap allowed to prevent lower limbs entering is 200mm.
Again, BS EN 12811-1 states 25mm, so does this mean scaffolds are not built to this standard

Barry, the key thing is risk assessment. If you are dealing with nuts and bolts and the public have access below you then 50mm is too big but if you are on a building site and looking to apply render then 225mm is pretty normal as long as they are working to a sufficiently robust risk assessment.

We work to TG20:08 Barry

I don't mean to sound flippant or insulting in anyway towards yourself but if you are a safety professional, should you not know what regulations and rules are that you're trying to enforce? If you aren't sure about a subject do you stop someone working until you are sure?

I think it's good to have people like yourself getting involved in the forum I really do. Hopefully we are able to share our combined knowledge with you.

Barrymc
Sg29:08 internal edge protection on scaffolds platforms covers your gaps what's allowed and not allowed.

Sg25:10 covers access and egress from scaffolds (gates)

Tg13:03 non standard boarded platforms
Covers notching boards, you can notch boards to 1/3rd of the width of a board and notch along the length of the board to 150mm, as long as you have additional supports eg transoms both side of the notch and within 150mm of the notch.

Go to the nasc web site publications technical guidance and buy the f&ckers :).

The scaffolder is going to change the ladder to the other side. He has also left a couple of 100mm wide gaps between the boards, so have instructed him to sort these out at the same time.

Barry, without seeing circumstances this 100mm gap appears, my initial solution would be to have the gap coverd with ply-wood.

Dass
Although I am a safety professional, and know the safety legislation, I don't profess to know all the specific rules, standards etc of every profession. If I have an issue I find out from guys like yourselves.
If I see work being done, that in my opinion looks unsafe (so it usually is), yes I would stop work until I am convinced otherwise.
To be honest I have bnever seen a scaffold boarded out, with gaps of 225mm between boards.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Scaffatorn
I will buy the documents.

225 between the boards.:eek:

I thought you meant between the face of a building or structure.:laugh:

aom
No, I meant between boards, sorry if I didn't make it clear. The scaffolds in question are scaffolds in the middle of a roof space (2.5m wide), that allows access to install pipes underneath the roof. There is roof structural steelwork that projects through the deck of the scaffold, and the boards have been laid either side of this steelwork, creating gaps of 100mm between boards.

Naw, dog rough, is it system? When building jobs like that you just build it to suit the boards with as normal and cut short boards to butt up against the steel, simple. Another common enough solution although it is kind of frowned on is to lap short boards across and nail them down. As I said it is frowned upon but we did one yesterday and had to lap short boards across as the contractor has to get access to mounting bolts on a motor and slide it off and if we boarded it correctly he would not get them off. My advice was still valid, as long as you have a sufficiently robust risk assessment you can do almost anything but 100mm along the full length of the job is pants.

aom
No, I meant between boards, sorry if I didn't make it clear. The scaffolds in question are scaffolds in the middle of a roof space (2.5m wide), that allows access to install pipes underneath the roof. There is roof structural steelwork that projects through the deck of the scaffold, and the boards have been laid either side of this steelwork, creating gaps of 100mm between boards.

Ah between the boards. Yeah like AOM I thought you meant the gap between the work face as that's a typical complaint.

In future buddy if you could post pictures of what you're unsure about it would help as individual situations can mean different things or ways are needed.

Just don't get the scaffolders to pose on the scaffold when you take it, that always leads to chaos......

I thought you ment the end of the board was 100mm away from the steel columns as in a board between 2 columns

Top Bottom