Scaffold access gate

Saw a scaff go up today on a shop front,ladders were set one to the right ,one to the left on the next lift. Thought they should have been over each other?????

I have had builders insist on doing it that way Fred , they say its only ever 1 lift someone can fall down :eek:

Its all about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing

The scaffolder had boarded around the building steelwork that is approx 100m diamenter, and he has just laid boards at wither side, so leaving a 100mm gap at one end and zero gap at the other. I thought he could have cut the boards up to the steel work.

Philiosmaximus, is there a reason why boards should not be cut. How else would you close the gap, unless you but boards across the hole and create a trip hazard. As I have said, I'm no scaffolder

nice to hear a saftey bloke askign scaffs opinions b4 ramming it down their throats, hope you aproched it in the right way lol. you are allowed a recomended gap of 225mm (the with of a board) you can notch board but should never cut down the lenght of a board. they could of split the diffrence or maby ply boarded it but ply isnt something thats ready avalable in the scaffs yard so maby mentiong to the site fore man about joiners filling in the gaps . av said the gap is recomended at 225mm but use your noging with it if the jobs going to need lagged / dashed ot may be more than 225 but not drastacly more if that makes sence ......stay around am sure some scaff will have some question for yourself in good time ;)

we have the gates that only open 1 way round that when there turned up side down can be used to open the other way but like aom they look w@nk, we also have gates that have the sheet top and bottom of gate out so can be put on any way and it dont look w@nk.

Last edited:
you can get gates that go either way so u don't have to put them upside dow i perfer to use them like our boss just bought 20 of them n there always the first ones to go out the yard with me lol.

I only bought a few of Generations gates (I think that's where I got them:embarrest:) I need to get a few more Steve, where did your gaffer get the double sided one's?

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Cutting boards is a cardinal sin Barry , could of split the gap to 50mm each end

Could not believe it today, spent a week in the yard, dead sizing boards and banding them, left an apprentice to finish a wee hand rail and toe board and came back after only 10 minutes to find he had cut the band off to get a dead size toe board instead of just sending the gash out on the other side.:cry:

I have had builders insist on doing it that way Fred , they say its only ever 1 lift someone can fall down :eek:

Its all about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing

Sorry Phillio,This is in one end. Youde fall thru 2 on this one

I only bought a few of Generations gates (I think that's where I got them:embarrest:) I need to get a few more Steve, where did your gaffer get the double sided one's?

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Could not believe it today, spent a week in the yard, dead sizing boards and banding them, left an apprentice to finish a wee hand rail and toe board and came back after only 10 minutes to find he had cut the band off to get a dead size toe board instead of just sending the gash out on the other side.:cry:

maby likes his gashes neatly trimed lol

i'm sure he got them from g roberts mate, he only really uses them n trad.

Guess I will give George a wee call then, thanks boys.

Guys, according to the construction federation's safety manual the gap between boards should be as small as is reasonably practicable, but BS EN 12811-1 states that they should not exceed 25mm. Is this not the standard to which you work to.
My concern is that the scaffold is to be used for installing pipework. Some of this pipework is between 25-38mm diametre, which could fall through a large gap in the boards.

It's hard to judge without seeing it ourselves Barry. I'm pretty sure it's 250 rather than 25mm though!

If you're worried about stuff falling through there's always the option of getting the chippys to lay some cut ply down to cover all gaps in the scaffold. It's not recommended to cut boards. If you've got enough money on the job get them to install some fall protection around the base of the scaffold if people will be walking around beneath them while work is being carried out.

Guys, according to the construction federation's safety manual the gap between boards should be as small as is reasonably practicable, but BS EN 12811-1 states that they should not exceed 25mm. Is this not the standard to which you work to.
My concern is that the scaffold is to be used for installing pipework. Some of this pipework is between 25-38mm diametre, which could fall through a large gap in the boards.

Reasonably practicable can mean anything, it all depends on the type of work you are doing and rather than saying this gap is too big or whatever it should be controlled by risk assessment. 225mm could be fine on one job but not on another.

Sorry guys, I must be missing something here. Surely a 225mm gap in the board is big enough for your leg to go through, and possibley break it. On machinery the max gap allowed to prevent lower limbs entering is 200mm.
Again, BS EN 12811-1 states 25mm, so does this mean scaffolds are not built to this standard

Top Bottom