Scaff steps

Its not law to use the step up.

Its an option in the several ways of working at heights.

So are advanced guardrails, inertia lines, double landyards & now advanced tunneling. Choose the option best suted to you!!

Unless the main contractor dictates to you you have to do it in a mini skirt or something!! :amazed:

what is the law on using the step can a contractor insist you use it as i thought S.G was only a guide

When you work for a company that puts the scaffstep in their R.A.M.S. you would be breaking the law if you didn't comply.

So I have to use it or get thrown off site and then sacked for non compliance.

Paddy M8

Hows this for yi M8---suits you Sir :eek:

and before yiz start that's no me modeling it...

Fae yer Pal in the Frozzzen North...

Attachments

• 3573907787_ab8c608352.jpg
    3573907787_ab8c608352.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 15
Garry can i order that outfit for my toon mate superscaff,to cheer him up somewhat after his fa cup setback i mean thats what friends are for.

Celticbhoy

I do believe you can also get them in orange ( :sick: ) for the Rail ways Contracts !---it's a good job Im aff the drugs cos if I'd see that oot O mi Box it wid pit me aff mi skull...still cana beleive it---has anyone seen any c*nt wearing these monstrosities ???if you have I hope you done them in---fuds...

Is it just me or does it seem like the people who come up with these ideas have never gotten their hands dirty at any time? Do they even understand the need for companies to turn a profit especially in the current climate? This Scaffstep system not only slows the working process by around 50% but is IMO more dangerous than working to the tunnel method.
I can appreciate the NASC wanting to make our job safer but I honestly feel there was no need for change. It would have made more sense for the HSE to come down heavy on the people abusing SG4:05 and force scaffolders to adopt good practice rather than have the NASC shift the goalposts again.
There's no room in the industry for cowboys working off two board runs, 10 lifts up , with no guard rails or harnesses. More time should be spent prosecuting these guys than further hindering the work done by others who quite happily abide by the regulations.

Is it just me or does it seem like the people who come up with these ideas have never gotten their hands dirty at any time? Do they even understand the need for companies to turn a profit especially in the current climate? This Scaffstep system not only slows the working process by around 50% but is IMO more dangerous than working to the tunnel method.
I can appreciate the NASC wanting to make our job safer but I honestly feel there was no need for change. It would have made more sense for the HSE to come down heavy on the people abusing SG4:05 and force scaffolders to adopt good practice rather than have the NASC shift the goalposts again.
There's no room in the industry for cowboys working off two board runs, 10 lifts up , with no guard rails or harnesses. More time should be spent prosecuting these guys than further hindering the work done by others who quite happily abide by the regulations.

Spot on, I couldn't agree more Bundy

One of the reasons for this change is that the harness is dangerous!! That is why over the last 6 months you now hear last resort when needing to use one. They have now moved towards the advanced rails / step ups.

Along with this move harness trauma has disappeared!!!

So the powers to be see us working behind rails with no fails because they f***ed up in the first place. How many sites have a rescue procedure that works. I have never seen one. So behind the scenes the 10 minute rules gone. The minimum platform size changed over night to suit the step up.

How many of you have seen the presentations on using the step up, when it comes to hemping the picture jumps without showing you how they done it. Incorrect lifting methods throughout the use of the step up & advanced rails. The only practible way forward & safe way is advanced tunnelling. No expense & proper lifting practices!!!!

Ragscaff, you are right about rescue procedures to an extent. For lads on small housing development sites I feel a harness is sufficient as they can be rescued quite easily should the worst happen. On major construction sites I'm all for advanced tunneling. Our company has been using the scaffstep for almost a year now and I don't like it one bit. I find it causes many manual handling issues and puts unnecessary strain on the lower back and knees, partly because of the small area available when topping out. It also slows progress down at such a rate as to have financial implications that we could well do without right now.

Have a couple of local firms who have had a lot of accidents with the step ups. No room to move!!!

Trying to get recorded info is a nightmare as at the time they are not major accidents, but constant jarring of the body & damage to the ankles & knees it going to catch up with every user. :sad:

Scaffs have to try & use it, easy option for companies, NASC accept it & endorse it so big boys followed.

Advanced tunnelling is allowed & does not cost any outlay but the NASC don't push it & suppliers don't make any many for it!!!

Top Bottom