PTS course

Hi im a part 2 and live in east london just signed upto this site :) im lookin at doin my pts in the next month is there as much work as everyone is saying.....if so who are the best people to speak too cheers jimmy

Burns that is the company am booked with a guy called Paul has sorted it out for me. Also do company's take labourers with Pts as in a squad with me and another Scaff or not mate

The spend on the existing rail network is at least 20bn over the next 5 years, government guaranteed. High speed stuff is completely seperate

Take labourers with PTS too, scaffolders labourers at waverley station in edinburgh were taking home 680 for six ten hour night shifts, for 18 months

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

It's a 3 day course now since Dec 1st, weekend courses are a bit more expensive but the guaranteed job makes it better. Some huge differences in prices across the UK but jobs are what it is all about after all

Take labourers with PTS too, scaffolders labourers at waverley station in edinburgh were taking home 680 for six ten hour night shifts, for 18 months

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

It's a 3 day course now since Dec 1st, weekend courses are a bit more expensive but the guaranteed job makes it better. Some huge differences in prices across the UK but jobs are what it is all about after all

Have you just come of edinburgh station?is si dean still there pal?

No, l have been putting scaffolders, plant operators, electricians etc through PTS to get them on to those jobs, a lot of the lads we put through have transferred to london bridge with Palmers but others are still at Market Street section of waverley with Lyndon

I don't wish to be cynical and I mean this with the greatest of respect to burnsPW, but I'd beware strangers bearing gifts. By all means do your PTS, but don't think it's going to be a shortcut to riches. We've all heard the "yeah we got loads of work coming up, great money, blah, blah blah, then nothing happens. Most of the companies supplying labour on the rail are supplied by agencys now, and most of them would sell their mothers if there was a few quid in it for them.

The PTS rates have fallen in line with the other rates, we were getting £150 -200 a shift engineering hours 10 years ago, your not getting anything like that now, unless your on the mecca that is London bridge - which must have a waiting list a mile long now. I've seen PTS jobs advertised for 13-14 quid an hour. Until all this work kicks off the only ones winning are these training companies charging £500 a time with nothing but a handful of promises!

It is a guarantee of steady well paid work, the two main contracts in Scotland are the electrification between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Waverley (650m) and the reopening of the liner between edinburgh Waverley and Galashiels (270m) The network across all the main cities in the north of England is being electrified (Liverpool - Manchester- Leeds-York-Sheffield) and an old line between Sheffield and Oxford which currently terminates at Buxton is neing reopoend and electrified. The line between Paddington and Cardiff is being electrified and the Welsh Government are funding an additional 600m electrification within south wales. London Bridge is one contract and the Crossrail stations will require further PTS scaffolders. If you google these projects you will see that it is all governement funded. Agencies looking for PTS scaffolders for 13-14 per hour will be looking for a while! At the ticket office at Waverley scaffolders do not need PTS but they need a Medical and D and A as they are on Network rail premises, they are on 16 an hour.

any work in the south west?

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

any pts work in south west?

yup. london to cardiff will require at least 400 PTS scaffolders west of swindon

It is a guarantee of steady well paid work, the two main contracts in Scotland are the electrification between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Waverley (650m) and the reopening of the liner between edinburgh Waverley and Galashiels (270m) The network across all the main cities in the north of England is being electrified (Liverpool - Manchester- Leeds-York-Sheffield) and an old line between Sheffield and Oxford which currently terminates at Buxton is neing reopoend and electrified. The line between Paddington and Cardiff is being electrified and the Welsh Government are funding an additional 600m electrification within south wales. London Bridge is one contract and the Crossrail stations will require further PTS scaffolders. If you google these projects you will see that it is all governement funded. Agencies looking for PTS scaffolders for 13-14 per hour will be looking for a while! At the ticket office at Waverley scaffolders do not need PTS but they need a Medical and D and A as they are on Network rail premises, they are on 16 an hour.

The flipside of that of course, is that Pyeroy are paying £10.30 and VGC £14.01, with no overtime rate for a 10 hr shift on blackfriars bridge. like I say, no disrespect to you, but I think there's a danger of over egging the pudding here!

Last edited:
bridge works are starting at the end of this month, station upgrades are ongoing, there are two metro station contracts at south gosforth and west jesmond too, dont need ppts but you need the medical and D and A and they have their own one day course before you can start, most contractors have to put men through it as part of terms so it doesnt cost you anything

PTS labourers at waverley are on 11 an hour, a number of lads on blackfriars have been in contact to get away from that job because of the poor rate, the rates l quote are the reason so many scaffolders asked me to come on here, all those contracts l mentioned are scheduled to start at the same time, there is no company in the country that can win work by cutting rates, it is not a case of main contractor v subbie, network rail oversee projects and the penalties for late handovers are severe, palmers could demonstrate high levels of staff retention at waverley and that is why they are preferred contractor on other major station refurbs. There is no pudding to be over egged, it is a massive infrastructure investment and the labour is not in place. No offence taken either!

whats the difference between pts card and lucas, is it just the lucas card is for the underground??

It is mate, but as crossrail progresses some jobs will require both. On th epwer upgrade for the electrification of the rail network some jobs will require PTS and CCNG Safety Passport too

Top Bottom