Protection Fans

Hi All

I would agree with Phil above.

TG20:08 has details of 3 standard fans which may be used with basic scaffolds without the need for designs. Provided the fans are built to these details then they should be okay.

Many of the clients are starting to think everything needs a design nowadays.

I have had Clients saying that anything over 4.5m needs a design.

Problem is how they interpret TG20:08 and the HSE guidance above.

Good for us designers, but not good if you not allowed for in the price.

Most people dont want to be responsible for a decision and it is easier to pass the buck to somebody else.

All the best out there.

Chris Eng :)
Chris/Phil take a look at this response from CADS and let me have your views please.

Hi

Protection fans are covered by TG20 in Section 5 which is devoted to Special Scaffolds, and which starts “Structural calculations should be made for all special scaffolds”.

The descriptions of the various types of fan provided in TG20 define how best to build them and which considerations should be used in their design, but it does not mean that scaffolds with fans are exempt from design.

As regards your other comments: We are not working on improving the chimney stack or temporary roof scaffold options at the moment, but we are working on other improvements such as passing a greater number of independent scaffolds using the design calculations from TG20. We will certainly address chimney stacks and temporary roofs on the futures, but they are not in the forthcoming release.

As regards your previous suggestion back in May about entering multiple birdcage scaffolds as a scaffold single item, this was received very positively and the team are currently considering the best way to do this. Once the forthcoming SMART Scaffolder V2.1 is out of the way, I expect to receive more details on how they propose to support this and I will be in touch with you to get your reaction to their proposals.

Do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any further query or wish to provide any further suggestions or feedback on the product.

Regards,

Richard

Richard Pearce

CADS Technical Support.

Fair play to Richard he responded quickly.

For those out there who own a copy of TG20:08...

Go to page 68 of Volume 1 (Section 19 - Design Of Special Scaffolds), and read 19.1 - General.

TG20:08 currently lists protective fans under the heading of 'Special Scaffolds' and is therefor subject to design/calcs by a suitably qualified competent person.

The three alternative fan types are listed in section 21 on page 70 but do not give any design calculations. For this, engineers would refer to Volume 2 page 133 for guidance on 'Structural Calculations For Scaffolds' to verify the design of the type of fan being used and ensure that any loads placed on the fans (as well as the loads of the fan itself) would not cause weaken the main scaffold or cause the ties to fail.

I guess if in doubt, get some advice from the NASC, especially where it's a requirement for your pavement permits! Better to be safe than sorry I'd say.

interesting - will have to look into that

Top Bottom