Protection Fans

Scaffold checklist

This guide is intended to clarify when scaffold design is required and what level of training and competence those erecting, dismantling, altering, inspecting and supervising scaffolding operations are expected to have obtained.
Design and inspection issues
Unless a scaffold is a basic configuration described in recognised guidance e.g. NASC Technical Guidance TG20 for tube and fitting scaffolds or manufacturers' guidance for system scaffolds, the scaffold should be designed by calculation, by a competent person, to ensure it will have adequate strength and stability.
All scaffolding should be erected, dismantled and altered in accordance with either NASC guidance document SG4 for tube and fitting scaffolds or the manufacturers' erection guide for system scaffolds.
For scaffolds that fall outside the scope of 'Basic Scaffolds' as described in bullet point 1, the design information should describe the sequence and methods to be adopted when erecting, dismantling and altering the scaffold, if this is not covered by published guidance as detailed in bullet point 2.
Any proposed modifications or alterations outside a generally recognised standard configuration should be designed by a competent person.
Handover certificates should refer to relevant drawings, permitted working platform loadings and any specific restrictions on use.
All scaffolding inspection should be carried out by a competent person whose combination of knowledge, training and experience is appropriate for the type and complexity of the scaffold he is inspecting. Competence may have been assessed under The Construction Industry Scaffolders Registration Scheme (CISRS) or an individual may be suitably experienced in scaffolding work and have received additional training under a recognised manufacturer/supplier scheme.
A non-scaffolder who has attended a suitable scaffold inspection course and has the necessary background experience would be considered competent to inspect a basic scaffold (ie a site manager).
The scaffold inspection report should note any defects and corrective actions taken, even when those actions are taken promptly as this assists with the identification of any recurring problems.
To prevent use by unauthorised persons of incomplete scaffolds, relevant warning signs identifying the areas where access is not permitted should be displayed at the access points to these areas. In addition, access to the incomplete areas should be prevented by suitable physical means.
Competence and supervision issues
All employees should be competent (or in the case of trainees, supervised by a competent person) for the type of scaffolding work they are undertaking and should have received appropriate training relevant to the type and form of scaffolding they are working on.
Employers must provide appropriate levels of supervision taking into account the complexity of the work and the levels of training and competence of the scaffolders involved.
As a minimum requirement, every scaffold gang should contain an appropriately qualified scaffolder for the type and complexity of the scaffold to be erected, altered or dismantled. This may be an individual who has received training under an industry recognised training scheme, e.g. CISRS, and has been awarded the scaffolder card or someone who has received training under a recognised manufacturer/supplier scheme, e.g. SA-FE, to the limit of the configuration(s) involved.
Trainee scaffolders should always work under the direct supervision of a qualified scaffolder (i.e. a working foreman). Scaffolders are classed as 'trainees' until they have completed the approved training and assessment required to be deemed qualified.
Erection, alteration and dismantling of complex designed scaffolding (e.g. suspended scaffolds, shoring, temporary roofs etc) should be done under the direct supervision of a competent person. This may be a qualified Advanced scaffolder, a design engineer providing they possess the necessary industry experience or alternatively an individual who has received training under a recognised manufacturer/supplier scheme to the limit of the configuration(s) involved.
Scaffold structures that need to be designed
1. Dead Shores 2. Flying shores 3. Raking shores 4. Cantilevered scaffolds 5. Truss-out Scaffolds6. Access Birdcages7. Façade retention 8. Access scaffolds with more than the 2 working lifts allowed with TG20 'Basic Scaffolds'9. Buttressed free-standing scaffolds 10. Temporary roofs and temporary buildings 11. Support scaffolds 12. Loading Bays founded on the ground 13. Mobile and static towers outside base/height limitations 14. Free standing scaffolds outside base/height Limitations 15. Temporary ramps and elevated roadways16. Staircases and fire escapes 17. Spectator Terraces and Seating Stands 18. Bridge scaffolds 19. Towers requiring guys or ground anchors 20. Offshore scaffolds outside Offshore Contractors Association (OCA) handbook 21. Pedestrian footbridges or walkways 22. Slung and Suspended scaffolds 23. Protection fans, Nets and Pavement Frames 24. Marine scaffolds 25. Boiler scaffolds 26. Power line crossings 27. Lifting gantries and towers 28. Steeple scaffolds 29. System scaffolds outside users guide parameters 30. Sign board supports 31. Sealing end structures 32. Temporary Storage on Site33. Masts, Lighting Towers and Transmission Towers34. Advertising hoardings/banners 35. Any scaffold structure subject to: o Vibration o High Loading o Long term duration o High risk areas o Loading from passenger/goods hoists Note: The above list is not exhaustive and any scaffold that does not comply with manufacturers guidelines as published in handbooks will require a specific design produced by a competent person.

Taken from the HSE site.

The quote I made in regards 4 + 2 , 5 + 1 came direct from the HSE from the meeting. Don't shoot the messenger. If it is wrong then again it backs up the fact that the information we have at hand to work with is too confusing. What is law & what is guideline!!

Ragscaff
You couldn't get them to put that in writing could you Ragscaff, that would really stir it up.

aom, does this mean that the tg20 checker on the cads software that costs £1000 or so is not worth a w*nk ! and basicaly you/i/we've wasted our money on this gimicky dross? could it be that another organisation who don't actually erect scaffolding have once again cashed in on the fact there are no hard and fast rules in scaffolding ,just a raft of guidances and best practices.

Dangeruss,

I hope not. I think you just have to bear in mind that it's not and never will be the answer to all our problems and as soon as you add something just slightly away from the most basic configuration it's going to flag up a warning to place the onus back onto the user. You have got me thinking though, do you really think it's "gimicky" or are we expecting too much?:unsure:

Scaffy,

Just got it on trial a couple of day's ago. I put my thoughts on the design thread to see if I was using it right.

tis s h i t e haha

Feck sake. Theres me thinking I'm a cutting edge scaff forging ahead in to the great unknown world of technology. Turns out I'm just a fud that falls for every gimick on the market.:D

na its ok ha -- what are they quoting ya ?? we took the lot including the export to autocad option , dealt with julie down there

Case is far cheaper and led to believe other than the pwitty pwincess pictures does the same

They are talking around the 3 grand mark but no draw it. I thought that might be a step to far till I got more used to it but after using it maybe that is what I need to get the exact replica. I'm dealing with Julie as well, she brought it up to Edinburgh at the back end of last year so credit where credit is due they are trying to push it and willing to get out there and deal with small firms like mine so if I can get it to do what I want then I think I will go with them, plus there is always discounts to be had.:D

yrh they do discounts and also split the payments -- u havent had much time either then

Well that's it Paddy, you have to give them some credit. Also I first saw it around november last year and from then till now it looks better and easier so they are obviously developing it all the time.

yeh they still phone me - thats for dough tho ha

mon scaffy ye canny bumb them unless you think they mis-sold you. Do you reckon it's not worth the cash?

yeh id say worth the cash , no havent bumped them its the annual license and updates i believe .

No mention of annual licence cost:embarrest: How much is that gonna sting me.

dunno mate , but there will be with updates , user licences and that ect , have a word with julie ,thats what covers development costs

Dont hold me to this guys, i think Julie said the annual updates were about £200.00.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

right thats it, i am gone, beer time:D

thought was 1200 per year - could be wrong

check it out dangeruss - pretty positive theres an annual fee - as with all develiopin software updates ect

Top Bottom