Part 1 no experience!

Your missing the point Wass , even when you have completed the part 1 course you will still only have a trainee ticket you would be better applying for a trainee ticket and seeking employment as a trainee/labourer then by showing initiative and a good attitude to wards hard graft your employer would more than likely pay for your Part 1 course .

Beware of this carrot being dangled "we`ll pay for your courses if you graft" youll be grafting for years and still no card in some cases. Pay for it yerself and save all the bullshet plus you wont owe anybody any favours. Part 1 can also get you some better jobs such as power stations etc if your lucky.

Interesting points Woodsie, Flinty

If your were owner/manager of a scaffold firm and you had two applicants for a Trainee/Labourer position both with there own transport . Which one whoul you employ ? One had 18mths on site experience and was registered as a trainee scaffolder with CISRS six months ago after having a CISRS laboures card for a year

The other had never picked up a tube of fitting prior to doing the part one course and had no on site experience but also had CISRS trainee card .

First day of my course today, quite a lot to take in but not too daunting yet, there's only 3 of us on the course so that helps. All in all a decent day, let's hope it lasts ha!

Well thats that mate youve started now no turning back:laugh:,are they older heads on the course or are they just startin out too?

Well thats that mate youve started now no turning back:laugh:,are they older heads on the course or are they just startin out too?

They both know quite abit compared to me at the moment but I took most of it in, doing a little homework to keep me sharp ha the first day is basically identifying of components and health and safety, something that's been drilled into me for years on the railways ha

Ears open mate and dont be afraid to ask if you dont understand,already been said here you never stop learning in this game.

I never asked but is it the scaffolders choice of which type of scaffold to use or are they told what to build?

Now that should start off a good few answers.Straight forward jobs will be up to the scaff.Plenty of different ways to do the same job.If its a so called technical job,although an advanced/experienced scaff could do it off the top of his head, you normally get a drawing and it has to be followed exactly for insurance reasons,but mainly to cover your own arse.:D

Wass1,theres a coupla threads on here, 'scaffolding terminology' well worth a look at,for someone with no experience. Your scaff mates could help you out with this.

Wass1,theres a coupla threads on here, 'scaffolding terminology' well worth a look at,for someone with no experience. Your scaff mates could help you out with this.

Thankfully I've picked most of it up, cheers for the advice

I had guys on my part 2 that had never turned a spanner so my point is anyone can turn up and pass these courses but do they make you a better scaff? I think they do if treated right and turn up with the right mount of experience under ur belt otherwise ur jumping the gun a bit, but hey at the end of the day no card no job so fair play.
Ive just completed my advanced and debaiting wether to do my supervior course (another £1000 all in with digs etc) but part of me is saying it`ll be a load of bull but the other part saying well it could get you work and u got it forever.
Its just a bit of a shame theres no real challenge in these courses, does anyone fail?
You could have all the cards and still be shet.
You can have no cards be great but no employability because you aint got the cards.
So better to have them then right !!

Interesting points Woodsie, Flinty

If your were owner/manager of a scaffold firm and you had two applicants for a Trainee/Labourer position both with there own transport . Which one whoul you employ ? One had 18mths on site experience and was registered as a trainee scaffolder with CISRS six months ago after having a CISRS laboures card for a year

The other had never picked up a tube of fitting prior to doing the part one course and had no on site experience but also had CISRS trainee card .

Good point, you take the experienced once as long as his tickets allow him to work on your jobs. But that is the case with any job, if you have two identical applicants, you take the experienced one. I'm simply pointing out from my experience they are more interested that you have your ticket and you can get yourself about, as pointed out if you're a blagger then you soon get found out!

Did he say what a ****.er his gaffer was..lol

I'll be coming out this week pal.. have a chat.

Right Woodsie, no one fails,otherwise classes would be empty. you pay a grand knowing you pass at the end of it. Would companies put you on a course if theres a big chance you could fail. No No No. Health and saftey want to have a look,churning out novices by the dozen, into a high risk game.

Top Bottom