New SG4-10 Training

when they are ordered --- whoops forgot he works on a petrochem plant

Careful scaffy, one of their underlings was on for a quick sniff and there is a new member who is just desperate to open up. Take a look.

Reports of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.:bigsmile:

We shall see.

But you're not going to do very well if your committee members follow Steve Gregory's attitudes.

your welcome to join and replace me phil. I know you would do such a far better job as you are totally perfect in every way.

your welcome to join and replace me phil. I know you would do such a far better job as you are totally perfect in every way.

I've said several times in the past that I would be happy to help out the SCCR in anyway I could. I've also said that I wish the SCCR all the best in whatever it is you're trying to achieve.

I have no hidden agenda about all this - but your comments the other night did seriously annoy me - I thought it was bang out of order.

If some of MY comments were a little harsh, then I apologise.

The problem for me is I don't actually know what it is that is trying to be achieved. Maybe if the SCCR were a little bit more open and transparent I would be willing to join & help out the cause.

Believe it or not, I do know a little bit about scaffolding!

The problem for me is I don't actually know what it is that is trying to be achieved. Maybe if the SCCR were a little bit more open and transparent I would be willing to join & help out the cause.

I didn't realise the SCCR were being anything other than transparent. I think the clue is in the name as to the aims and goals of the group and it is looking to put forward input from the men who actually erect the stuff to the powers that be, who ever that is at the time depending on the topic, I think that was why the HSE was the first port of call. Another thing to remember regarding information coming from the SCCR is that this is a massive task and takes a lot of time and effort from individuals, Ragscaff has put in an unmeasurable amount of time and effort and needs support not snipers willing to shoot him down at the first sniff of any mistake.

If you or anyone else is serious about offering help and support get in touch with Ragscaff now.

Phil181

As we have talked in the past the SCCR has no hidden agenda either.

We have been very open we what we are doing.

The minutes of the HSE are on this site.

You just have to look at all the posts in relation to training to know there is a problem there. Even Simon Hughes at the meeting stated as much when his training centre pays more attention to detail with the candidate & company in relation to length of training & amount of experience needed. This needs to be monitored across all training centres if its working!

Development of new techniques to keep up with the ever changing guidelines, getting involved in the set up of these guidelines.

Help with training funding.

Trying to help the ECITB guys due to the way they have been treated. (This one we all know has been stretched now so I kept it short)

Help with legal aspects in relation to employee contracts & employment issues.

Help with insurance matters.

Trying to create the link between employer, employee & Industry bodies.

The above is mainly what we are doing. Anyone in scaffolding can become a member. All with have input & will be able to change the committee or be on the committee, no funny handshakes!!

I hope this helps Phil.

Regards Stewart

P.S. Yes Steve said something out of hand but the backlash was out of order. Everyone says silly things on here, after all this is a chat forum. If such a comment had appeared on the SCCR web site then string us up. The SCCR wants to work alongside the NASC, CISRS ETC.

The SCCR wants to work alongside the NASC, CISRS ETC.

fully agree, another voice within the industry is good . Even the HSE and Simon were shocked when we brought up fatigue at the meeting on the wear and tear of the knees and the stress of the body carrying everything the scaffolder has to carry. This has NEVER been studied by the way but it will have by the time SG4-15 comes into practice.

No man in a suit who has never done the job could have ever come up with the suggestion, thats why it had never even been thought of.

Scaffolders to work on steps and ladders when the HSE have been trying to stop the use of them but yes it always the scaffolder who gets the short straw. The 2 mentioned above will now be studied thanks to the scaffolders forum and the SCCR. YOUR VOICES ARE BEING HEARD AND NOTICIED.

What about the scaffolder having to hemp over the handrail? Using the step to hemp?

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

The SG 10 has yet again not been thought out. For the industry to move forward we need a A .C .O .P instead of a few people who think there are above all of the great hard working scaffolders doing the job day in and out. In some case know alot more than the few who are driving ARE industry NUTS.

We have done the advanced guardrail systems training earlier in the year and i am told it already superseeds SG4:10 Steve.

Correct Steve The point i am trying to make is hemping over the handrail will require a risk assessment under the manual handling Regulations.

What about the scaffolder having to hemp over the handrail? Using the step to hemp?

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

The SG 10 has yet again not been thought out. For the industry to move forward we need a A .C .O .P instead of a few people who think there are above all of the great hard working scaffolders doing the job day in and out. In some case know alot more than the few who are driving ARE industry NUTS.

Hi Instructor,
Great point regarding hemping over a hand-rail and one I have asked many times. It was discussed at the meeting in Birmingham with hse who advised that whilst this is guidance and will be easily recognised as best practice they do acknowledge that it is not exhaustive. Ragscaff is working on a ssow for sliding the rail in front of you as work progresses which would also comply with current regulation. I have never personally hemped over a hand rail but I am reliably informed by other forum users that once you get in to the swing of it, it's not that bad. Some are advocating reducing tube length for this but to be honest I can't see that lasting. We are currently using the step for system which is good and the boy's are now saying good things about them but so far the easiest way for tube is to slide it. I do have a rough draught of the advanced tunnelling method but will leave it to Ragscaff to disclose when he is happy with it.

The minimum working platform is 600mm.The step 500mm how is this going to work? Remember the scaffolder will still need to be clipped on with his harness.Not a 1.75m fall arrest lanyard but a 600m fall restrant lanyard.

I know it does sound a bit mental but as I said for system it's actually very good. There is quite a few users on here been on them for a while now and all reporting good things. I suppose the minimum working platform thing is one of the reasons we still need to clip on but the advanced tunnelling method is the future for the t&f. As I still haven't received my copy yet and my memory is not as good as it was, I think it got a mention in the new guidance but don't quote me as I've seen that many different presentations lately I could be getting mixed up.

Has anyone actually seen the final draught of this yet?

The minimum width of a working platform is now 500mm.

This was changed very quietly!!

The SCCR sees the hemping issue as a major problem as well as stepping the height of the top handrail. I for one will not last all day stepping up that height.

To hemp a 21ft tube over the ledger is dangerous. The hemping over the handrail would be done off the boarded lift, but to hemp over this rail without being able to lean the 21ft tube as you would when walking it is again dangerous. The hemp should be as close to 300mm above the ledger. The most dangerous part of this is when striking, lifting this tube up straight. Poor balance, incorrect lifting manner & danger of dropping the tube forward.

These issues are being worked on now with the HSE.

Stewart Quinney
SCCR
Chairman

Because thats what combi step guide lines state this. Remember the scaffolder can still fall from the step. The no win no fee boys are going to make a killing.The WHR states where ever a person may fall that means any height.

Could you use a lanyard that length and hook it on above your head and then climb a step?

Top Bottom