Impact wrench who gives a f@ck

so whoever prefers a spanner knows nothing about scaffolding??what an idiotic statement,im surprised anyone even commented after that piece of drivel

woodsie; said:
Who ever says a spanner is superior in my eyes don't have a clue about scaffolding or just not bothered wether the job takes a couple of hours or takes all day.

That wasn't really what he said, was it?

well swifty youve put it in black and white for me,"whoever says a spanner is superior dont have a clue about scaffolding" if im the only one that thinks thats a daft statement then shoot me now

How can a spanner be more productive than an impact gun? What makes a spanner superior it bafles me how anyone can think a spanner is better. Elaborate. And I said in my eyes meaning in my opinion as aom says u got to move with the times, why wouldn't u want something that makes the job easier and twice as fast unless u where sat around all day talking a good job?
Where's my gun..... Get it impact gun lol

Last edited:
When the changes currently being approved by the European Safety Council which will prohibit the use of tube and fitting come into effect from 2016 you will be all using hammers.

Is that definite? How do you know they'll approve it?

Is that definite? How do you know they'll approve it?

I know a top man in one of the system scaffold companies. He said they have been wining and dining the European bigwigs for months now.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Never even heard of this why ban tube and fittings??

Too many dropped and potential dropped objects. The wise money started investing in layher a few years ago. Ask aom

So how long til the 'new breed' are so reliant on them that the gaffer gets a phone call explaining that the job can't be finished as the battery has died? What about tight areas not conjusive to the use of a bulky hand gun? What about the inherent dangers of using a heavy hand tool like that at height. A major contractor on a major project I was on recently has introduced the mandatory use of tool lanyards for spanners. Never used one and I don't meant to be so disparaging but I've always considered them a bit of a novelty, handy on street work, stripping an old job with rusted fittings for example.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

I see you've caught a couple of big un's HSWT.

Last edited:
I know a top man in one of the system scaffold companies. He said they have been wining and dining the European bigwigs for months now.

Hammer time wao wao here comes the hammer. Well if it happens that will be another change we'll have to get used to. Don't think it will dwindle down to the street jobs for a while though. Even with system scaffolds when things get complicated tube n fitting is incorporated there will always have to be some tube involved with complex builds.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Too many dropped and potential dropped objects. The wise money started investing in layher a few years ago. Ask aom

haha, don't want to spoil your fun.:laugh:

So how long til the 'new breed' are so reliant on them that the gaffer gets a phone call explaining that the job can't be finished as the battery has died? What about tight areas not conjusive to the use of a bulky hand gun? What about the inherent dangers of using a heavy hand tool like that at height. A major contractor on a major project I was on recently has introduced the mandatory use of tool lanyards for spanners. Never used one and I don't meant to be so disparaging but I've always considered them a bit of a novelty, handy on street work, stripping an old job with rusted fittings for example.

SR, there are places where it's big and bulky but even on beam jobs they are a godsend as you don't need the circumference of a spanner to make it work, you just send in the long nosed socket and it does the trick. I still carry a spanner, but mostly now just use it to slacken the apprentices fittings as the IW only does them up to 150NM.:eek:

The other thing that's always made me smile about the tool lanyards, we have got all the tools tethered but what about all that loose steel we are handling up there and what exactly are we going to tether that to?

haha, don't want to spoil your fun.:laugh:

SR, there are places where it's big and bulky but even on beam jobs they are a godsend as you don't need the circumference of a spanner to make it work, you just send in the long nosed socket and it does the trick. I still carry a spanner, but mostly now just use it to slacken the apprentices fittings as the IW only does them up to 150NM.:eek:

The other thing that's always made me smile about the tool lanyards, we have got all the tools tethered but what about all that loose steel we are handling up there and what exactly are we going to tether that to?

:laugh: I know what you mean mate, far be it from a lowly scaff such as I to question the rationale and wisdom of our H&S overlords. Fannies.:evil:

Never understood why tools should be tethered either. On most industrial jobs you have to make a drop zone so everyone accepts that there is a possibility that an object may be dropped.

They do but when on street they get a bit bitchy, they don't fancy blocking off say Knightsbridge due to local authorities getting the arse;)

Just lift a few paving slabs and make a barrier from milk crates.

Top Bottom