How did you get into scaffolding?

hi storm. usual story,went along to give sum1 a hand nd just stayed,u know how it is. love the job,none better,nd u meet all kinds,the good,the bad nd the ugly. but too a man,the best guys they are.

TAC
Although I never went that route I knew a lot of lads who did the CECOL course and most of them enjoyed it even though they were away for a year. The feeling was and is still is it was a damn fine course, shame they stopped it. One lad I know well from Lincoln was kicked off his outward bound at Eskdale because he gave one of the instructors a good going over!! The situation was that Vinny (My Mate) joined the course at a late stage and whislt at Eskdale was over 18 years, well once the daily actvities had finished and he had some free time he decided to frequent the local pub for a few pints....Once there and after a few beers a couple of Instructors walked in and told him all CECOLs were banned from the pub and he should make his way back to the centre....well what would you do?? he was breaking no law and as he says the centre is boring as f*ck at night....So he did what most of us would and told the Instructor to F*uck Off!! On this response the braver of the two decided if Vinny wasnt going peacefully then he would have to force him back up the road.....He made a grab for Vinny who promptly stuck nut on the joker dropping him to the floor were he also recieved some leather...if you know what I mean!! In the end he walked back to the centre in his own time and in the morning was told to leave and go home.

I think in the end he got a bollocking for the violence but completed his course all well and good!!

Who do you work for the TAC? I was at Rilmac in Lincoln for a while and knew a couple of Hull lads.

PW, did you work with a guy Called Les at Rilmac? Can't for the life of me remember his surname, sound bloke, worked with him at KSL in Leeds but it was one hell of a drive for him every day from Lincoln so he just kind of dissapeared as quick as he appeared really. Used to be a supervisor if i remember correctly.

10 yrs ago I was 18 and had bout 50 jobs since leavin school some lasted bout a week some just a day. Did agency crap, worked on a landfill collecting paper, cleaning drains, grass cutting, painting & decorating, found myself out of work and pissed off again. Said to my girlfriend at the time(now my wife) I'm going down job centre this was on a thurs afternoon at 4 o clock she said leave it till tmoz. Got there and it was closing at 4.30 searched all the ads and just as I was bout to leave seen the last ad for trainee scaff and applyed, got the job and never looked back. If I hadn't gone down there and then the job would probably be gone I would have never touched a spanner.

Worked with my old man at weekends then left school at 15 and here iam 31 years later ,
i have met many great lads and had many good cracks , and i would not do it any different if i had my time over :)

Well I was never going to be a brain surgeon!

My dad was a scaffolder, he got me a start on SGB out of Kings Cross depot when I was 16, back in 1991.

A few months after I started the supervisor pulled me to one side and said...

"Do you remember when your dad called me up and asked me to give you a start - and that you were a good little grafter?"

"Yes"

"Well he's a fuc*ing liar, isn't he!"

:laugh:

hi phil do you remember stan mowat son kevin and lad called derek york all kings x depot mate,they had masses of scaffs out of there,what a company.

started labouring at aberthaw power station at 17 for lyndons ,managers name tommy cooper ,my old man was the supervisor at the time so when he told me the top mans name i could not stop laughing ,then i met him big hard f--cker from brum, then he introduced me to the bigest p--ck i have ever met mr s.wall also a brumie but he was my supervisor but looking back on it now, i am sure my old man had a quiet word with him ,along the the lines, he will not make a scaffolder for as long as i have an hole in my arse so treet him like s--t .
i was always being ribbed by the lads ,they would say you will always be alright your dads the the gaffer ,well all you lads you try and live with it being shuvved down your throut 24-7 ,but i will say since them days in the s--t hole aberthaw the graft has never been a problem ,been scaff coodinator ,area supervisor ,contracts manager,site supervisor ,site manager back on the tools now f-----g propper crack ,all my family are all scaffs ,old man just retired and missing it ,so for all the scaffs that dont want to get up in the morning start loving every minute of it and take the piss out of your self and the boys all day every day its what we do.
gents of the spanner,tube tecs.
28 years loved it through good and bad,sad i know.

started labouring at aberthaw power station at 17 for lyndons ,managers name tommy cooper ,my old man was the supervisor at the time so when he told me the top mans name i could not stop laughing ,then i met him big hard f--cker from brum, then he introduced me to the bigest p--ck i have ever met mr s.wall also a brumie but he was my supervisor but looking back on it now, i am sure my old man had a quiet word with him ,along the the lines, he will not make a scaffolder for as long as i have an hole in my arse so treet him like s--t .
i was always being ribbed by the lads ,they would say you will always be alright your dads the the gaffer ,well all you lads you try and live with it being shuvved down your throut 24-7 ,but i will say since them days in the s--t hole aberthaw the graft has never been a problem ,been scaff coodinator ,area supervisor ,contracts manager,site supervisor ,site manager back on the tools now f-----g propper crack ,all my family are all scaffs ,old man just retired and missing it ,so for all the scaffs that dont want to get up in the morning start loving every minute of it and take the piss out of your self and the boys all day every day its what we do.
gents of the spanner,tube tecs.
28 years loved it through good and bad,sad i know.

And you still can't get in at Pembroke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's going on?

probably said the wrong thing to somebody along the way mate ,or it could be wrong post code ,i think you know what i mean ,funny thing is when i was a manager or supervisor had a **** load of phone calls from old so called mates looking for work:( Not that many these days ? i still have a few good old freinds down at pembroke doing there best ,bring on the new year . Some good jobs starting next year ,would not mind getting on the shetland job new biuld ,if any one knows anything about this job give us a shout.

got kicked out of school at 13 there was a bloke on r estate who had a bit of gear so him one day doing a job said 2 him i can do that he said b at my house at 8 in the morning so i did and hear i am 17 years later on top of my game lovin it

Enjoy it Dave, I was also off school the day we did arithmetic but by my reckoning you have about another 5 years at best before the sure and steady decline comes.:eek:

Enjoy it Dave, I was also off school the day we did arithmetic but by my reckoning you have about another 5 years at best before the sure and steady decline comes.:eek:

so true AOM once you turn 30 its all down hill , only good thing is you what the F*** your doing :laugh:

Did I mention I was off sick the day we did maths in school?

Maths was and isnt my forte either,however we do need a basic understanding of the subject.

I personaly measure, inside to centre, with the toeboard sitting in. others measure inside to centre with the toeboard on top, then again there is centre to centre on ledgers or centre to centre on stds, like the training schools.

Independent scaffold with 1 inside board with clearence for Compo droppings. i make templates centre to cente for stds, 12" to 40" between doubles.

inside std 12" centre minus 1" for std- 9" for board= 3" clearence. 40" between std to std centres=38" 4 boards=36" 2"spare, toeboard 1.5" half inch for weather conditions ,ie, warped boards etc.

Now with TG20:08 there is a ever increasing need to be able to be comfortable with Mathematics, to be able to read drawings etc.

While i was doing my TUC Dip in OHAS, it was identifiable by myself that i needed furtherance in maths, i gained extra Skills for life training, Free from the TUC,which in itself is a recognised certificate, i was 47 years of age at the time, never too late to learn guys.

Paddy

Scaffs are the dogs dangly bits,

Back to the wee school for you aom I think :wacko:

or maybe Paddy will devise a correspondence course for you :cool:

Top Bottom